Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Grading question

1) Can you ask for a card not to be holdered if it will not receive a minimum requested grade?
2) if so how do you let them know?

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Can you ask for a card not to be holdered if it will not receive a minimum requested grade?
    2) if so how do you let them know? >>

Yes, you can. On the submission form there is a column where you can put the minimum grade you will accept.

Donato

Edited because I can't spell...
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That's only for crossover attempts. On normal grading subs, it must be slabbed.
    But I've heard that if you are a giant submitter (maybe 2000+ per month?), you can work out a deal with PSA beforehand to only slab those that meet a certain grade. Those that don't meet the min grade pay a modest fee and stay unslabbed.
  • Options
    thanks for the info, i'm pretty picky on what I sub so dont expect very many if any 7's on the 75's I am going to submit. I sent a test run of 6 last week and got 4 9's and 2 8's so have a pretty good idea what the cutoff is anyway.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's only for crossover attempts. On normal grading subs, it must be slabbed.
    But I've heard that if you are a giant submitter (maybe 2000+ per month?), you can work out a deal with PSA beforehand to only slab those that meet a certain grade. Those that don't meet the min grade pay a modest fee and stay unslabbed. >>

Thanks for setting me straight. I did not realize that column was only for crossovers...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the info, i'm pretty picky on what I sub so dont expect very many if any 7's on the 75's I am going to submit. I sent a test run of 6 last week and got 4 9's and 2 8's so have a pretty good idea what the cutoff is anyway. >>

Yeah good luck on that. My submissions have been all over the map lately. I just sent in a small stack of cards that came back as either Evid of Trim, Miscut, etc.. the first time around. Almsot all got graded the second time around. Most came out of PSA holders to begin with. There is someone screwy in their grading room right now and I get no help when my cards get graded by him/her. I just take a big loss on submission dollars and have to resubmit to get them graded properly. It's not fair but what can you do.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>That's only for crossover attempts. On normal grading subs, it must be slabbed.
    But I've heard that if you are a giant submitter (maybe 2000+ per month?), you can work out a deal with PSA beforehand to only slab those that meet a certain grade. Those that don't meet the min grade pay a modest fee and stay unslabbed. >>

WRONG.... The Min grade column applies to regular grading as well. I use it all the time.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

Another rumor that has no basis.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Check with PSA. I thought that selecting minimum grade was an option on all submissions. Asking is free.
  • Options

<< <i>

WRONG.... The Min grade column applies to regular grading as well. I use it all the time. >>

Bking:

I just pulled up a current submission form and at the top of the "MIN GRADE" column it says in red letters "crossover only"
    Perhaps you can explain what this means? I interpreted it to mean that min grade is for "crossovers only"
  • Options

<< <i>

Another rumor that has no basis. >>

Another naive collector who refuses to believe that big submitters get better deals.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

WRONG.... The Min grade column applies to regular grading as well. I use it all the time. >>

Bking:

I just pulled up a current submission form and at the top of the "MIN GRADE" column it says in red letters "crossover only"
    Perhaps you can explain what this means? I interpreted it to mean that min grade is for "crossovers only" >>

It means their form is wrong and misleading. A simple call or email to them will confirm I am right, as will the 'MinGrade' stickers I've gotten back.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Interesting
    So they just return your cards in the cardsavers, the ones that don't grade?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that PSA would not be interested in doing this on regular subs as it means they are basically losing money for those cards that do not grade. Do they send vouchers back with the cards that do not min grade?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think that PSA would not be interested in doing this on regular subs as it means they are basically losing money for those cards that do not grade. Do they send vouchers back with the cards that do not min grade? >>

They are still going to charge you for grading the card whether its slabbed or not.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < I would think that PSA would not be interested in doing this on regular subs as it means they are basically losing money for those cards that do not grade. Do they send vouchers back with the cards that do not min grade? >>

They are still going to charge you for grading the card whether its slabbed or not.

Well, then, in that case I don't see any upside to that, unless you are putting together a raw set...after all, if you think the card is undergraded, you can always just crack and resubmit..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.