Home Metal Detecting
Options

About how dug out is Carson City? Virginia City?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thinking about finding some old buildings and... well, you know.

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopped by a coin/nugget/detector shop years back during a "tour of
    N. Nevada. He said hoards of detectorists came through during the Bonanza TV show
    years and every square inch of C.C. and V. C. was covered multiple time over........
    I was very depressed with goldmaster in handimage
    anyway cheers and good luck.
    Only luck I had was panning the creeks during winter.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sucks having to find new hunting grounds. been there done that
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to detect the Nevada State Museum site for old CC dies......may want to get a back hoe to rip the
    newly paved parking lot first!

Good luck, my old stomping grounds! If you get down to the Carson River you might be able to detect my
    class ring. Lost it swimming in '64. I spent the extra and got the 14k ring!

Good luck,
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BUT, even though the 'big name' places are well and even over-done, are there not innumerable smaller mining camps all over the west that have NOT been so thoroughly combed? The hard part is gaining permission.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    I learned years ago when someone tells you the area has been dug out, it usuallly means they are trying to keep other diggers out. It can't hurt to to go and try.image
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stopped by a coin/nugget/detector shop years back during a "tour of
    N. Nevada. He said hoards of detectorists came through during the Bonanza TV show
    years and every square inch of C.C. and V. C. was covered multiple time over........
    I was very depressed with goldmaster in handimage
    anyway cheers and good luck.
    Only luck I had was panning the creeks during winter. >>

I have seen old silver (1800s) and even the odd large cent or two come out of relatively 'clean' ground that has been detected thousands of times... the easy targets may be gone, but it always seems that some remain. Trashy and mineralized areas may produce even more if one is willing to dig a lot of junk and hot rocks. The worst example of this second type of area occurred in an old ghost town I visited in Arizona - we couldn't even use our detectors, as the place had served as a dump for several decades and the soil was inundated with small flecks of rusted iron and steel. We ended up digging trash pits instead and made some decent finds.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't mean to pupo your plans. Just saying what I was told by an old timmer.
    Maybe he wanted me to "get lost" as has been noted.
    Carson city mint and old Virgina city saloons a must.
    Let us know how you doimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    I live in a small, former 19'th century gold mining town. I have had many welcome visitors who have used various methods to locate old, unusual, and interesting things. There seems to be quite a bit of it around, discoverable by many techniques, not the least of which is the plain ol' eyeball and human curiousity. They're good about helping an old boy out with some of the chores which have become difficult by the passing of years.
    ----
    No, I don't believe that those places are dug-out yet. No more so than say Egypt is. Despite umm, how many well funded expeditions over how many centuries? Was that farmer's filed in England that just produced a trove also 'dug-out'" Probably so, if you listen to the coffeeshop searchers. The ones in the field might have other notions.
    ----
    Here's a recent true story. Fellow came up here to do some land surveying. Got the points here and there and what have you, and the time came when his assistant had to 'see a man about a horse' as they say, and in the course of adopting that peculiar position necessary to perform the miracle of digestion he spied a well rusted can. Coffee or baking powder or what was really impossible to tell. The miners here seemed to favor baking powder cans to store their blasting caps so it's always good to identify the container prior to opening. Especially if you're kinda excited and being maybe being a tad vigorous.
    Anyway, that's all incidental to my point. That can was somebody's stash of cash in the old days. It had quite a few small coins, and 16 silver dollars. No gold coins but it was WELL rusted and basically doing the cornucopia basket when he spied it.
    ----
    So, now honestly. If he had not been right there. And right then. Given our not infrequent gully-washers. NONE of those coins would ever have been seen or heard of again.
    -------
    Unless of course some dang-fool-know-it-all-who-wouldn't-listen-to-the-voice-of-experience came up, asked permission and got it first, and detected them. The at least we'd know for sure.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.