Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GB 1/2 Sov - authentic?

I have this half sov here, came back 'Questionable Authenticity', looking for some GB experts to confirm.

It's the correct weight and is certainly gold, but the strike is very weak for a London mint strike. It's a common coin and its gold so the only motive would be a jeweler's copy but seems to have minor bag marks and light scuffs which would seem to contradict this.

The main unusual thing is the reverse rim, not sure about the London mint but this is the rim of the Melbourne mint:
and the Perth mint

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Here's an 1894 London.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks bad to me. I can not accept the details esp on the reverse device nor the edge.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Hmm, strike is too shallow, guess it's a Jeweler's copy then.
  • Options
    There's a similar extrusion or fill at center top at the edge of the rim on both obverse and reverse. There are other similar aberrations along the edge of the rim and notably one transecting the upper limb seraph of the "E" in "REX" all the way to the "X". These would speak to a scratched die or mold, the apparent depth suggesting material softer than steel was used for the dies or mold halves. I'm prone to think this was either cast or that the dies were cast inferiorly. Perhaps this was a test "strike" by a counterfeiter using pure or reasonably pure gold and that there are other examples out there with the same aberrations of inferior alloys. If I were a counterfeiter I'd make my first gulls all the right weight and content to see if they fly by the taker's eye.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 1901 half-sov from London.

I can sorta see some of the stuff TokenTinker pointed out, but only because they were pointed out to me. The flat strike would have been my only clue that something was amiss, but the greyish looking stuff along St. George's sword hand and the back of his leg and the horse's foreleg caught my eye. What is that? Looks like the horse has a dab of it on his chin as well.

I must admit, there's about a 90-95% chance this one would have fooled me had I been offered it, raw in hand.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Thanks for the link, I've encountered a number of these counterfeit sovereigns, sometimes they're more obvious with mis-matched bust/date combination, etc, I wasn't aware that they made half sovs. This one weighs 4.0g +/- 0.05g

With a half sovereign weight of 3.993g ignoring weight lost to wear and assuming it's alloyed with copper or something with a similar atomic mass, it's purity will be between 0.9068 and 0.9298, unfortunately I don't have a better scale to increase the accuracy there image.

Oh well, it cost me bullion, nothing lost, a lesson learned.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it's good gold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I find that half sovereigns are generally not struck as well as sovereigns.
    I would not say one way or other without seeing the piece in person, but I am inclined to say that it is genuine.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually half sovereigns are my specialty, although I have concentrated on London Mint and mainly young head. However, this has (does not have) qualities that I would accept as genuine when it comes to strike and edge detail. Handling, jewelers, etc. may alter post strike characteristics but this has problems not just with the soft strike, but also the device details and the edge is simply not acceptable.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Though if they're from the Syrian mint...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a 1901 half-sov from London.

>>

A Terner pedigree I presume? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3