Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Striking ship medal...70mm diameter.

From here.

I don't collect this sort of material, but thought someone here might be interested. Let us know if you nail it!

Best ~
Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.

Comments

• Options
    Impressive design - and the dates, subjects and ports all pull in the Solidarity links. There are sure to be collectors out there who'll want this!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh.

Not at all what I expected. Much more modern than what came to my mind when I read the title.

It's cool. I think it's kind of stark in its modernity, and I'd almost say ugly, but "ugly" is a pejorative term. I'd mean "cool-ugly", anyway, because despite its blocky, ultramodern look, I find myself liking it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pejorative >>

nice word lordM

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I agree with you 100%, Rob.

My guess is that when most of us think of ships on coins and medals, this is not the sort of craft that comes to mind:

BTW, for the full story on the Aurora, go here.

Three-plus days remain on that auction.
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another topic entirely, I love those old Dreadnought-era battleships and cruisers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Restrike/replica/fantasy/fake, but a neat design nonetheless.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the shipyard that Solidarity was formed in back in 1980 - led by Lech Walesa.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Why would someone make a replica or counterfeit of a 1977 medal?
    I don't get it.

• Options
    I believe her point is merely that it's the same shipyard.