Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

17th century French Louis XIV jeton with nice ship reverse

30 mm, copper. I would grade this Very Fine (VF20). It has dark brown surfaces with no major marks or distractions. I got it from FilthyBroke a while ago. Sadly I didn't save his pictures of it, and they're gone now.

Obverse: bust of Louis XIV right, legend "LVDOVICVS - MAGNVS - REX". "N" below bust. Reverse: full rigged warship sailing right, over choppy seas, with ornamental flourishes in exergue. Legend "QVO - NON - SI -SAPERENT - VENTI -".

Sorry I have no pictures of it, but here are two others for comparison.

Mine is far superior to this example on a Swiss site, which is offered at 8.99 Euros (approx $12.08 US).

And slightly superior to this example on French eBay. The eBay example is pretty close to mine in detail but mine is just a little bit clearer on Louis' hair and the gunports of the ship. Additionally, mine has an even coloration and is darker brown than the eBay example, and probably has better surfaces. It is housed in a CoinWorld slab-style capsule.

I have no idea what it is worth. The eBay example above sold for 12.10 Euros (or about $16.25 US), but again, I think mine is just a tiny bit nicer than it was.

I'm not really sure how the Latin on the reverse translates, but I'm told SAPERENT is "taste of", "understand", or "have sense", and "VENTI" must have something to do with the wind.

How about $19 for mine, including cheap mystery bonus freebie(s) and free shipping?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• I dug around for an old picture of that one, but couldn't find anything. I may have it on a disk, I'll look after work and see what I can come up with.

I'll update this post with the pics if I can find them, I usually keep one of everything that passes through here.image

---UPDATE---

Is this the one? This was the original seller's picture, the only one I could find of that jeton.

• BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that they put Bea Arthur on a Jeton.
    "Have a nice day!"

• << <i>I didn't know that they put Bea Arthur on a Jeton. >>

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FB- thanks! That's the one! A smallish, dark picture is better than no picture at all!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.