Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Opinion Poll...Is there a "Big 3" of tobacco sets, and if so, which ones do you consider?

I recently embarked on a mission to collect HOF player sets of T206, T205, and T3, and it got me wondering...so much has been made about the "Big 3" card sets--the T206, 1933 Goudey, and 52 Topps--is out of place to consider a "Big 3" of tobacco? Obviously, the above 3 sets are my choice for best tobacco sets. I would love to do full sets of all 3, but a desire for specific grades and high costs have me limited to just the HOFers. Here's a brief explanation for each of my choices:

The T206 is a timeless, classic set that rises above itself even with the popularity of the Wagner card(although it certainly helps). Is there anything more nostalgic than the portrait cards from the set? It really makes one take notice of the storied history of the game.

The T205 Gold Border I consider the Sistine Chapel of the tobacco world--ornate and detailed yet also innovative in design with the advent of facsimile signatures and player stats on the back. I don't think there's another card that looks better than a high grade T205 American League player with the bold baseball diamond colors outlined by the deep gold borders that still have a metallic shine when you hold it to the light.

Finally, there's the T3 Turkey Red Cabinets--my personal favorite. The colors are so amazing on some of the cards they look more like paintings than baseball cards. It really brings to life the dead-ball era.

Feel free to share your thoughts and what you consider your 3 favorite tobacco sets. Obviously, there are many more tobacco sets out there, and I'm interested to hear if any of you differ from my opinion. Thanks, Brian

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any list of the Top-3 tobacco card sets must include N172 Old Judges. It's the set that began it all. Of course, there is no such thing as a complete set, since new poses are still being discovered (one was discovered last year!).

As for most popular/easiest to collect, T205 and T206 are at the top of the list. Then again, extremely few people will ever complete a T206 set, simply because of the Wagner, Plank, Doyle and Magie cards. It's kind of hard to pick a third one, as T204 is really tough all around and T207 has some near-impossible cards. Easiest to complete is by far T201. T202 is fairly simple. T3s are up there too, but the set does have some tough "commons' in it, since it was a "redemption" set, and some of the players were rarely requested.

Going back to pre-1900, N28 is by far the easiest to complete there.

Edited to add that my favorite 4 would be T205, T206, T3 and N28, with T3 being my favorite. I just can not narrow it to 3 sets.

Steve
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Brian!

T206 and N172 are a lock. N28, N29, N43 and N162 would all be up there, but they are mixed sports with too few baseball. Just So, Mayo, KBats all incredible but too scarce to be one of the Big 3. T200, T201 and T202 are out, Ramly's are close but not quite popular and available enough (although the square frames make them really interesting). Redman's count as well but too modern.
    IMO it comes down to T205 or T3, and I'd go with the latter. But it really drops off after the Big 2.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Steve and Griffins,
    If I picked a 4th set, N28 would be my choice too, Steve. I love the design of the cards. I agree that N172 is an landmark set, but I think I picked my sets for aesthetics as much as importance and rarity(although trying to find nice, high-grade T205 cards isn't an easy task, either). There's a nice old-time feel to the N172 set, but as you mentioned trying to put together a complete set or even a HOF set would be next to impossible. And if placing an N172 next to a T206, T205, or especially a T3, I'll take the latter sets any day. But like I said, I picked my tobacco sets for mostly aesthetic reasons...
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    if you're picking it for aesthetic reasons you've got to consider N162 over N28/N29. Incredible artwork.
    I've never been a fan of OJ's, but you can't deny them a place on the list of most significant sets of all time.
    N184 Kimballs are nice too, but one 4 players. As are Duke cabinets.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    If your talking Common and easily found Tobacco Cards, then it would be T206, T205, and N172 (set is impossible).

T3 is good...... but its really a redemption premium, not a tobacco card in the classic sense (issued in packages of tobacco).

N172 is a classic, but the set is not really possible, there are still new discoveries every year.
    If you want tough and on every advanced collectors wantlist! You wouldnt look much at the very common T206 or T205 cards, It would be T204, T208, T209-2, T211, T213-1, T214, T215, T216-3, T217, etc.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    maybe consider a Caramel set also....

check out the E90-1 Set, its very similar to tobacco set, but Kids collected these instead, thus the grades are tolerated at a much lower level..
  • Fandago,
    Not a big fan of the caramel series--IMHO they don't have the same look and feel as the T206 set. I do like the cracker jack sets--they have a timeless aura to them and a great roster of players--but I think I'd get bored with the same backgrounds eventually. I'm actually considering a T206 portraits set--as I have always loved those classic, stoic poses as it was the first thing that drew me to the set. Then I can get my action poses fix with the T3 HOF player set. I've already started a T9 boxing set (I have 8 cards so far) as a bonus as I think they're every bit as beautiful as the T3's at a fraction of the price. So that would mean a T206 Portrait set at 178 cards(minus Plank and Wagner) in PSA 5-6, a T3 HOF player set at 25 cards in PSA 4-5, and the bonus T9 set of 25 cards in PSA 5. That sounds doable to me. I've decided to drop T205 because I realized that I like T206 portraits a lot better when compared next to each other, although I still think it's a beautiful set...