Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is this the greatest graded football card of all-time?

I posted a scan of the 1955 Topps All-American Red Grange I recently rec'd and stated I thought this might just be the coolest graded football card of all-time. It is a 10 and 1/1 and it's eye appeal is just remarkable. I think it is the better than Rockne, Hutson, Baugh 10's I have in the AA's and better than the Horseman and Thorpe 9's, too.

I know there is a Natl Chicle Nagurski 9 out there that certainly has the most cache in terms of value, however, I personally feel this Grange being a 1/1 10 is a bit cooler of a card. Our friend from Alaska who knows a little bit about football cards remarked that the '52 Bowman Large Sammy Baugh 9 (1/1) was his all time favorite. The '48 Leaf Luckman 8 is big $$ but is that eye appealing?

Please state your opinions on what the single greatest graded football card of all-time is. Interested to hear your choices.

imageText[/i

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I would go for this one:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the '52 Bowman Large Sammy Baugh PSA 9. The colors in it are just mind blowing!

Steve
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    All good choices, but I would say the Mayo's
    here's a nice example from BMW

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Even though its MINT..... The Grange is not vintage to his active career and is considered Modern to some. I wouldnt consider it at all for this fact alone. Plus its PostWar (never made it into paper drives of WWII)

I like the condition sensitive Mayo, or even the first football card, the N162 Beecher, over a PostWar Topps bubblegum card.

But I also think the T206 Wagner is very overrated and far from Rare! Everyone collects differently especially "10" collectors.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I'll have to second the Nagurski.........I wouldn't even consider the 55 the best Grange card. I gotta go with his 33 SK by a long shot...I would take a PSA 9 Sport King over the PSA 10 anyday (even if there are 4 of them out there)

Just my opinion of course.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the Nagurski or the N162 Beecher as well. As FKW said, the '55 AA set is a tribute set, and the images generally are not as good as those on most other sets.
    The '55 AA set is in the same category as the '60 Fleer baseball set- tribute sets that are interesting, but not career contemporary.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I habe to agree with Dave...the 33 sk Grange is one of the coolest football cards I've seen...
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree...one of the coolest looking, historically important cards of one of the players on the "Mount Rushmore" of football

Here is my meager 6...my vote would be the highest graded version of this......

I also would give the nod to the Chicle Nagurski as well.
    Ditto that big daddy....Here is my 6 as well

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Here's my SK Grange:

Even in low grade, it's still a beauty image

The white speck on his chin isn't really there, and the cracked holder is courtesy of the US Postal Service image

Steve
  • Jim - though this topic may fit better in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia forum, no matter - it's a great topic to opine upon! Additionally, any opportunity to dazzle us with your great Grange is appreciated. As for the greatest / coolest graded football card of all-time, I guess it all comes down to how the evaluator weights the mix of ingredients - aesthetics, hobby importance, player stature, uniqueness, value, and other intangibles.

The 1952 Bowman Large Baugh PSA 9 1/1 would emphasize the aesthetic metric. The 1935 National Chicle Nagurski PSA 9 1/1 would play up the value one. The 1933 Sport Kings Red Grange, despite not being unique, gets loads of points for meeting all other criteria above.

Your Grange is very well a Top 10 candidate in my opinion...and that's saying a lot when we're talking about the G.O.A.T. It gets a lot of points for aesthetics, uniqueness and player stature. Yes, I suppose the fact that it isn't of a career contemporary card set could ding it's case. (Of course, there are some career contemporary 1955 AA cards like Otto Graham and Leo Nomellini).

Other POP 1 contenders worth considering:
    1948 Leaf Sammy Baugh RC PSA 9
    1952 Bowman Large Norm Van Brocklin PSA 9
    1955 Topps All-American Otto Graham PSA 9

Others not mentioned above, each of which are POPs 2 to 5:
    1933 Goudey Sport Kings Jim Thorpe RC PSA 9
    1952 Bowman Large Otto Graham PSA 9
    1955 Topps All-American Don Hutson RC PSA 10
    1958 Topps Jimmy Brown RC PSA 9
    1965 Topps Joe Namath RC PSA 9

Just some thoughts above; maybe there's something I haven't thought of.

Here's my 1952 Bowman Large Baugh - an 8, not the one and only 9:

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    If this existed, this might be my favorite (from my fantasy database)...

• Get rid of that picture before some idiot puts it on ebay! Lol
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    That '55 Grange can't hold a candle to the '35 Nagurski 9.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    While the 55 AA is a nice looking set it is like Griffins said....a tribute type set. Most if not all of the players were done playing for years when this set came out. The Chicle Nagurski is the top dog.

I have to say-those sport kings are nice. I especially like a high grade Thorpe.

One question on the Nagurski=== Has anyone inspected that PSA 9 in person? I know it used to be a SGC 96 at one time. Are the corners razor because it's a little off side to side?

Mickey71
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Nagurski 9, by a widdddeeee margin...

Typically, the price you pay for a card is reflective of its "greatness" according to the collecting community. Rarity obviously plays into that as well.

What's the price estimate for the Grange 10? The Nagurski 9 sold for a measly 240K...lol

IMO, that Grange 10 is more of a 9.5 rounded up...It's OC a tad L/R to my eyes.

Sport Kings are my favorite overall eye appeal. I wish there were more football in the set. My 2 HOF RCs below.

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Scott,

I told you to stop swiping scans of my cards! image

Jasen
    JASP24,
    Those Sport Kings are awesome.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

This gets my vote and at least needs to be part of the conversation....

• mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Your Grange PSA 10 is a STUNNER!!

Very .... Very Nice!
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Well - Nice to see the AA Grange get bashed by so many except for Weinhold. If that card gets dinged for being part of a "tribute" set, than what about the Sport Kings? It is not even a football set for F's sake! And I am sorry to say the Sport Kings image of good ol' tough guy Red Grange leaves a lot to be desired - he looks like some kind of a fruit in that picture! It cannot compare to the stunning blue image with the vibrant red border on the AA 10. Comparing the '55 AA set to 1960 Fleer baseball is such an insult! The AA's are one of the top 30 sets of all time, I doubt the '60 Fleer baseball is in the top 300, or 3000 for that matter.

I gotta say the 52 Baugh is beautiful and 1/1 grade 9 is impressive, however, I personally place a ton of emphasis on perfect Gem Mint 10's. They rock, as it is worth extra bonus points in the rating games just knowing it cannot get any better (and Jason, it aint no 9.5 either!)

Of course the Nagurski is the default choice for no. 1, but that 9 is a weak 9, looks pretty darn OC for a 9. And yes, I recall seeing it in the SGC holder before it crossed.

Other POP 1 contenders worth considering:
    1948 Leaf Sammy Baugh RC PSA 9
    1952 Bowman Large Norm Van Brocklin PSA 9
    1955 Topps All-American Otto Graham PSA 9

Others not mentioned above, each of which are POPs 2 to 5:
    1933 Goudey Sport Kings Jim Thorpe RC PSA 9
    1952 Bowman Large Otto Graham PSA 9
    1955 Topps All-American Don Hutson RC PSA 10
    1958 Topps Jimmy Brown RC PSA 9
    1965 Topps Joe Namath RC PSA 9

One mistake on the above list Keith, I believe you meant to list the Graham AA as a 10, and again, I have two 9's of that puppy that are way better than the old Nate Sanders gift 10. I forgot about the Namath pop 2 - that's a contender. I don't think the Jim Brown is a very attractive and an eye appealing card. Of course the Hutson 10's have to be listed, as that card is perhaps as eye appealing as they come, being a rookie card, and the pose of Hutson with hands up catching the pass is as good of an image as any. The Horseman has to be in there, and the Sports Kings Thorpe is a must, too. What about the Leaf Luckman that just sold for $70K?

<< <i>(and Jason, it aint no 9.5 either!)

Of course the Nagurski is the default choice for no. 1, but that 9 is a weak 9, looks pretty darn OC for a 9. And yes, I recall seeing it in the SGC holder before it crossed.

>>

Fair enough. But if we are talking centering, could someone with the digital measuring program give us the L/R, T/B centering on these 2 cards based on the scans?

I don't disagree on the Nagurski centering, but certainly the 55 AA is far from 50/50 itself. Yes better than the Nagurski, but it is also a grade higher. I'd love to see the exact factual centering numbers on these though rather than our opinions. Because I think both could surprise once measured and show that they are both fairly weak for the grade centering wise. Of course everything else about both cards are spectacular, but again neither is perfectly centered. Far from it.

Just my opinion based on the scans,
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • My vote would be for the Nagurski 9

The AA's are a great set filled with great images and great cards! the pack fresh cards in your set are incredible to say the least!!!
    But with so many great graded cards out there, I can't see a AA on the top of the list.

Now for Grange, the '33 SK is one of the best Football cards ever made in my opinion. From a PSA 1 to a PSA 9 that card looks amazing!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    Jim, It sounds as if you are upset with everyone for not agreeing that your card is the greatest of all time. You had to expect that when posting?

I honestly could think of 25+ football cards than I would rather have than your grange. Granted...It is a very nice card, but not as good as you make it out to be...

Again, Just my opinion....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Jim, It sounds as if you are upset with everyone for not agreeing that your card is the greatest of all time. You had to expect that when posting?

I honestly could think of 25+ football cards than I would rather have than your grange. Granted...It is a very nice card, but not as good as you make it out to be...

Again, Just my opinion....

Dave >>

Agreed. And the first strike against it? It's not even a rookie. image

Jason
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I agree guys.....the OP asks "Is this the greatest graded football card of all-time?" then complains when people answer his question with a "no." Don't ask the question then. Most of the people who offered their opinions are serious football guys....the bigger fish in the pond so to speak. I have collected vintage football for over 25 years and have seen many examples of most of the available cards out there and I believe the SK Grange and the Chicle Nagurski are a few of the key "must have"cards. I do not consider the 55 AA Grange in the same category..regardless of the grade. I would rather have a SK Grange in 8 than a 55 in a 10. I would also prefer just about any condition Nagurski over the 55 Grange too.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    the OP feels like a great big hype production, so when are all the 55 AA's PSA 10's going to be up for auction?

The 55 AA Grange is not even close to being the best football card ever, graded, ungraded, however you want to define it.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Personally for me the best card in football history is one PSA won't even grade.

1935 Wheaties of Don Hutson

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    boubee, i gotta tell ya, i've been following your threads regarding this amazing '55 AA discovery, and it seems like it has become just one prolonged attention grab......yeah, you made a GREAT find and it is quite unlike any other in recent memory, but that doesn't diminish the accomplishments of other folks who have made similar discoveries and now sit in possession of such amazing cards with high grades, but the only difference is they don't come around every so often to bash everyone else over the head with the redundant details of their "find".

give it a rest already.....post your beautiful cards and just say you're here to share, no reason to compare or enlist the opinions of others only to refute them.

besides, everyone already knows that the GREATEST graded football card of all-time is the 1973 Topps #341 Jim Langer card in PSA 10, and i know because i've had several of them graded that way and i'm like a freight train man, once i start, you can't stop me.....so don't try. image

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Far be it from me to say -- but I think the greatest graded football card should be based upon aesthetic appeal. There are very, very few qualitative differences between a 9 and a 10, and to most laymen, between even an 8 and a 10.

Basing a ranking upon a population report number, or being a 10 instead of a 9 screams to me of pure silliness. Objective factors would include: rarity, aesthetic appeal, popularity of player, importance of set.

Aesthetic appeal to me consists of both the beauty of a card's design and format, and its general grade grouping, realizing that a NM-MT Grange likely will look better than a chipped Mayo of Beecher graded VG-EX.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I don't think the OP sounds upset at all. He makes an argument, and a valid one at that. I've got no problem with him posting his 10's of his AA's, as I enjoy seeing them. Do I agree with him? No. But there is no correct or incorrect answer. It would be the same for baseball. While the T-206 Wagner is the ultimate for many collectors, it really does nothing for me whatsoever. If I had one that was highly graded, I would sell it to buy other stuff I like better. I think it is an unattractive card. But, for cigarette card collectors, cards of the 1960's might be lame. To each his own. This is an unanswerable argument. Just like 'Who is the greatest player ever?' So, I will enjoy each argument that each of you presents that is written in a mature, intelligent manner and I will enjoy looking at fine cards that I personally cannot afford. God bless you all.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    It isnt abut being bitter or wanting a pat on the back gents, it's a little something to spice up the boards and have some fun. At the end of the day, everybody is going to have a different OPINION anyway.......that's a huge no brainer. I respect most everybody's opinion here and realize many have amazing cards and collections. I can also disagree and have some fun with it, as can you. And this certainly is not hype to sell anything - unless you want to give me $50K for the Grange right here and now - that would be a done deal.

I will state it again and try to set the record straight: For me, key word "me" I think the Grange 10 is the coolest graded card of all time. Now go ahead and read all you want into that.
    You asked is this the greatest graded football card of all-time and the answer is a resounding no. That much is clear

<< <i>Personally for me the best card in football history is one PSA won't even grade.

1935 Wheaties of Don Hutson >>

Would love to see this............Anybody have an image of this card or a link to one?

<< <i>You asked is this the greatest graded football card of all-time and the answer is a resounding no. That much is clear >>

Tex, if you read the post, what I also asked:

Please state your opinions on what the single greatest graded football card of all-time is. Interested to hear your choices.

Many have answered and so far the consensus is the Nagurski 9 - no surprise, and it looks like the SK Grange is running second. Alaska loves the 52 Baugh LG. There are two different 19th century cards at the top of others lists. Most disagree with me and dont place the Grange 10 on any list. So be it. No big deal.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    I think your card is incredible. I would probably put it in top ten or twenty. But to me the best card in the 55 AA set is the Thorpe. I'd love to see
    that one in a ten some day. The top card to be is the Chicle Nagurski with the Sport Kings Thorpe and Grange as two and three. I also think the
    52 Bowman Large Baugh would be up there. And for me the Leaf Bednarik is stellar.

aconte

<< <i>

<< <i>You asked is this the greatest graded football card of all-time and the answer is a resounding no. That much is clear >>

Tex, if you read the post, what I also asked:

Many have answered and so far the consensus is the Nagurski 9 - no surprise, and it looks like the SK Grange is running second. Alaska loves the 52 Baugh LG. There are two different 19th century cards at the top of others lists. Most disagree with me and dont place the Grange 10 on any list. So be it. No big deal. >>

Your absolutely right, and I would have to agree with others that the Nagurski 9 is the one, and I don't feel there is another that even rivals it for the top spot.

I agree with many others and off the top of my head, the list underneath that would include:

1965 Namath
    1933 SK Thorpe
    1933 SK Grange
    1955 AA Thorpe
    1955 AA Hutson
    1958 Jim Brown
    1957 Unitas
    Goodwin Champions Beecher
    48 Leaf Bednarik
    1957 Starr
  • Is it just me, or does Nagurski on the National Chicle card look like Al Bundy from Married With Children? My vote for best FB card would be the PSA9 Nagurski.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    My vote would be the 58 Brown in 9. There are 5 of them, and I have no idea what they sell for, but Brown in my view is the best player ever. His RC, with only five 9s out of what, 2,000 graded, is virtually priceless.
    The 55 Grange is awesome. I would compare it to a 1956 Mantle in a 10. Monster card; but in no way the greatest or most significant card of all.

Mickey71
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally for me the best card in football history is one PSA won't even grade.

1935 Wheaties of Don Hutson >>

Would love to see this............Anybody have an image of this card or a link to one? >>

Here ya go

Here a better scan. I agree...Very nice looking card/box panel

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    What a sweeeet Hutson! Incredible.

Thks Troy and Dave for the great scan.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>My vote would be the 58 Brown in 9. There are 5 of them, and I have no idea what they sell for, but Brown in my view is the best player ever. His RC, with only five 9s out of what, 2,000 graded, is virtually priceless. >>

I'd agree with that. Best player ever, I'd want to own the highest grade so far for that card which is a PSA 9.

Among my top three would be the Jim Brown RC, Bart Starr RC and '52 Baugh.

Personally, I'll take a '57 Bart Starr PSA 9. Why? He's my favorite player of all-time, his RC is in one of the key sets of all-time, and it's a difficult card to find in mint condition.

As far as best eye appeal, I have to say the '52 Bowman Large Sammy Baugh. Bursting with color.

• shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • I need to find a symbol like that for my Buffalo Bills

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
    hows this one.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Those are great Dave! image

I especially like the Bills, Chiefs and Titan(ic)s image

Oh, and SB10.....That Redskins one is great too!!! image

Steve
  • It looks like the 1935 National Chicle Nagurski PSA 9 leads the way, design aesthetics notwithstanding. Whether one agrees or not, it's probably hard for anyone to say that's a poor choice.

As for the beautiful 1952 Bowman Large Sammy Baugh PSA 9, you know how we are in Alaska - it's all about the looks you know what I'm schayin'...

Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Really though, I've never seen the one and only 1948 Leaf Slingin' Sammy Baugh RC PSA 9.

The 1958 Topps Jimmy Brown is a remarkable card. I recently had one of the five PSA Mint 9 examples in my personal collection. I sold it privately just a few months ago. Here is that card that I sold:

• << <i>hows this one..... >>

Thanks Dave, that one will do just fine...lol
    I'll photoshop a 10 on the fork symbolizing how many years its been since they made the playoffs.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET