Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

from Europe

Hello,

This coin came home from Europe with one of my uncles after WW2. Can anyone identify it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be from one of the German states, but a larger picture would really help.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a Brunswick-Luneburg... but that's all I can tell from the image...
  • Options

Here is one that is similar from the CoinArchives website:

Item number 57 at:
    http://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?results=100&search=germany

The saint on the coin is St. Andrew, and the item might be a religious medal instead of a coin.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I have been unable to enter a picture file larger than 50kb. How is it done?
  • Options
    Is there any value to a religious medal? What were they for?
  • Options

<< <i>I have been unable to enter a picture file larger than 50kb. How is it done? >>

I think that most members host their coins on Photobucket or a similar picture site, and link them here.
  • Options
    Here you go -

• Options
    I noticed that willieboyd2 was able to post two photos and the second was considerably larger that mine. How did he do that?
  • Options
    Thank you Filthy Broke.
  • Options
    If you host through another site, the picture size doesn't matter. Basically you can post whatever size you want from picture sites.
  • Options
    This is certainly an interesting identification problem!

I ran the motto "PRO PATRIA CONSVMOR" through Google and came up with some
    German medals and thaler coins from the 1500's and 1600's, but not this one.

From a German coin/medal catalog:
    1462 »/i Thaler 1597. Brustb. links. Rv. CONSVMOR â€" PRO PATRIA Gekr. Herz etcA 8f. behelm. Wappen. Kn.

By the way, what is the diameter of the item?

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    This Andreas Thaler is most likely late16th century but is surely from BRUNSWICK-WOLFENBÜTTEL.
    Here is a very similar one: link
    I believe this is the same crest of arms, or close enough to call it from there...
    Jim

edited to add: I also believe the '96' = 1596
  • Options
    The diameter is a little over 1 5/8".
  • Options
    Jim K,

I see a close likeness in the crest, however, there are differences. My coin has all the lions on a square sided shield whereas the coin you pictured has an indentation in the sides. Also the oval shape to the left of the bottom lion is a pointed bottom shield shape on mine. The plume above the horse at the top of the crest has a six-point star deeply embossed in mine.

I suppose the details could differ between the artists rendition and the time period when it was struck.

The lettering reads, HEINR IVL.D.G., to the left of the crest and on the right is P.EP.HAL.D.B. (R?) T.LV
  • Options
    Looks like JimK has found the closest one, his link is a modern copy.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Yes, that pretty much clinches the deal: HEINR = Heinrich Julius who ruled from 1589-1613
    There will be slight differences from year to year in the shield of arms but I am sure this is the Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel crest.
    Very cool design and nice to have!
    Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like JimK has found the closest one, his link is a modern copy.

image >>

It sure is, but it was quite helpful in finding the correct place where this particular one came from. I don't know about you but I was having a very difficult time trying to figure this out with the original small pic.
    Now the challenge is finding an original one of the same! image
    Jim
  • Options
    still no luck here, but my Krause disks start at 1600. I know that it's St Andrews on the obverse. I'll keep looking

EDIT can't tell for sure, but looks like 6 fold or 8 fold arms with central shield on the reverse
    <><><><><><>sig<><><><><><>

Love Errors and Varieties

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options
    Billyray,

What do you mean by a 6 fold or 8 fold arms?

Jim K,

Where would you look for another original?

Are we saying this coin was made in the 1500's?
  • Options
    "Jim K,
    Where would you look for another original?
    Are we saying this coin was made in the 1500's?"

Hi MildBill,
    Yes, I believe this is also why we are having such a hard time finding it. My German Krause only goes to 1600...
    Take a look at this one- it's a Lügentaler, same ruler- Heinrich Julius, similar crest.
    Does it look the same age or near? This one is (also) 1596
    Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel Lügentaler 1596

Notice the price also, they aren't cheap and yours appears to be in better condition!
    As far as finding one, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything for sale or sold. If I remember correctly, I found the description in some old German text (Google books), but no pic.
    Jim
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought it was DAV-6290. My Krause shows DAV-6290 being minted from 1601 through 1611, but the mintage might not reflect mintages in the late 1500s. What is the date on that piece?

The problem I have with that piece is the size of St Andrew's hands. They are simply too big to match the Krause picture. The plate image in my Krause only shows small hands that only go halfway through the width of the cross. I will have to defer to somebody with a full Davenport set.
  • Options
    Dav. 6290

On page 5 is a Dav. 6290, I suppose this could be an earlier issue of the same...
    I still think this is 1596 but can't find any reference to it anywhere except for the modern repro which is of 1599 issue.
    Maybe this thing should be in a museum?

Hopefully someone with the German Thalers 1500-1600 book will check it out.
    Jim
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Brunswick-Wolf. 1 thalers dated 1596 - Dav. 9073, 9080, 9081; 2 talers - 9079.
    - There are also "hybrid talers" listed that year: 9083 (1T), 9082 (2T)
    - And then there's the Lying Taler - 9089 and 9090 (Goslar).. no Truth til 97
    All of those dated 1596 and without images in the book...
  • Options
    Thanks Spoon!
    This one still eludes me. I can find the Wasp, Truth, Lie, etc... Thalers, just not this one!
    Does your book mention mintage figures or values?
    Jim