Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

VICTORIA NOBIS EST - Lower Canada Halfpenny Token - Breton 982; LC-49A2

If anyone can offer better clarification on possible dates of issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in Charlton regarding date of issue. The identity of the bust is also not known.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    The best that I can find is from Peter Kraneveld who wrote in Vol. 29, Number 7 of the Numismatics International Bulletin (July 1994) in an article titled "Wellington in Lower Canada":

"One of the first tokens to reach Canada was the Magdalen Island penny (Breton 520). This token, one of the heaviest to circulate in Canada was introduced by Sir Isaac Coffin, when he visited his North American possessions in 1815. Sometime between 1813 and 1816 light, anonymous tokens started to appear in the Montreal area. The first showed a ship (Breton 965 and 966), then came a type with a military officer and the text "Victoria Nobis" (Victory is ours, Breton 982). These pieces were lighter than the regal coins, lighter even than contemporary British tokens. Their success paved the way for a flood of even lighter tokens, showing Wellington and Brittania or a crowned Irish harp on the reverse (Breton 969, 971, 972, 979, 980 and 981). Similar tokens showed the ship, familiar from earlier imports (Breton 989, 990, 995, 996, 1003, 1004 and 1005) or the bust of a civilian (Breton 1006). Most if not all of these were made in Britain."

From this I have ratcheted a one year delay of dates - but this is speculative nearly to the point of speciousness. I'd love to find out more - if only to put it confidently within a few years range of possible dates.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece, and presentation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    This is also Davis 79 and Withers 1595, but neither catalogue offers any info.

Charlton calls it LC-49, as you've indicated, and has this to offer: "This token was usually struck over Guppy
    halfpennies and possibly other tokens. The portrait is one of the "mysterious busts" discussed by McLachlan,
    Heal, and other numismatists writing at the turn of the century. The portrait has never been satisfactorily identified."

Of course, we've all seen that seated Britannia on both British and Canadian tokens, from about 1812-1820, right?

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    Daltonista - Thank you! I love the "struck over guppy halfpennies" tidbit. I'll be looking a lot closer at this piece. I'm much enamored with over-struck tokens and coins. The Britannia on this piece lacks a head to her trident - it extending into the legend. The ship is also distinctive for the central lateen sail.
  • Options
    Okay, Clark, now we're getting somewhere!

The only other pointless tridents -- or I should say prongless, since there are a few examples
    of tridents on these tokens with prongs that are missing a point -- in Withers and Charlton
    are found on a handful of non-Picard Wellingtons dated 1811-1813, or undated, which
    ought to narrow down the issue date for the Victoria Nobis Est piece somewhat.

Although Withers refers to that thing cradled in Britannia's left arm as a "sceptre or spear,"
    Charlton sorta makes the distinction for us, I think, using "spear" for its knobless occurrences.
    In a couple of cases it shows a knob on top, almost like a Grand Marshal's baton, or sceptre.

This just in: Ted Loker of Calgary, who covers coins and tokens on his web site, says
    of the Victoria Nobis Est item: "This token is thought to feature the portrait of Lord Nelson."
    (No authority cited, alas.)

There's got to be a CNA journal article in all this for someone!

Best!
    Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

• Options

Looks like Heritage supports -- or at least repeats -- the Lord Nelson hunch.

Can you believe what they called EF??? Sheesh, you'd think it was a Blacksmith token!

[Quickly and surreptitiously edited for spelling.]

• Options
    Calling the bust "Lord Nelson" does give it a certain market umph. I repeated it as well and chose the Battle of Trafalgar as the background image for this work-up. Knowing where and when the piece was minted and under whose instruction would really help with more targeted speculation image

I want to learn more about the Wellington Britannia types. I've a rather worn Wellington, but it's a Hibernia variety.
  • Options

• Options
    Bravo! Bookmarked. Thank you Monsieur Daltonista!