Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Show report - Gold & Silver Expo 2010 Hamburg, NY

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today I decided to go back for a third time to this show. I wasn't planning on going back today but this morning it was rainy and cold so I decided to make the 35 minute trip south again.

This show started on Friday and ends today, Sunday. I was really surprised how much floor traffic there was on Friday. Being a work day, I thought the bourse would be empty. Not so. There was even more traffic on Saturday, and even today there were a fair number of people there eventhough some of the Ohio dealers took off last night.

The dealers who I talked to all said they had a good to very good show. I spent most of my time at the show socializing with people but I did buy more than I was expecting too. Some of the new coins have already been posted in this tread and this thread,. I picked up a really nice Thai coin today which I'll try to image sometime.

My most enjoyable time at the show was talking to Steve Corvo of Corvo International. He only deals in World coins and has a very nice selection of material. He also is very easy to work with, very friendly, not the grumpy old man syndrome you find with so many dealers. He is out of the Cleveland, OH area and mainly does shows in Ohio and PA. I highly recommend him if you ever see him at a show. He also said he had a good show which is somewhat surprising to me because this area is not noted for World coin collectors.

This was the second year for this show at its present location, before it was in Niagara Falls, NY, Roman will remember that one, and this year was far better than last in my opinion.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    There may be something to that "grumpy old man syndrome" thing. We have a small semi-local show (about 50-70 tables) with only three world/ancient coin sellers, but all three seem much more accessible than the others. In fact they seem to just be in a better mood than I've grown accustomed to when shopping the other tables. One guy in particular sends me email reminders of upcoming shows, and we talk each time I get to the show. These guys are the reason we keep going back.

Thanks for the report!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    You live 35 minutes north of Hamburg? Isn't that in Lake Erie?!? image

(When I used to drive to Toledo every year, we would stop overnight in Hamburg)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History