Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the best way to open bank rolls?

I have just received two rolls of Ohio state quarters and am going to try to make my own high grade coins for my registry set. The problem is I have never done this before and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on the best way to open them without marking up the coins and/or having other coins clanking on others as they fall out. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Chris
I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I just pick at one of the rolled ends to start it, then unroll the entire length slowly. I stop as the coins begin to come loose, and leave it lying on the table, and make sure my two year old is no where in sight. Then I remove a coin at a time from the end. I can dismiss a coin in a few seconds, but making a coin a "candidate" requires 20 seconds with a loupe. Deciding to submit it takes more time comparing to already slabbed MS67 coins, that being the target grade. I did this with 8 rolls of TN-D quarters, had about 2 candidates/roll (16 coins), and finally picked 7 to slab. The results: 6xMS67, 1xMS66. That make me pretty confident the other candidates would have been primarily MS66 coins.

Chris--are you addrian from e-bay?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Just crack it open by banging it hard on the edge of the table. image
    Matt
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it this way.open up the end only.Than turn them upside down pressing on about a 1/4 of the roll so they come out all at once,should have 4 stacks with no banging.I do the same for tubes but stop them with my fingers on the edge of the coins works for meimage.Al
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Easy, just lay the roll on the table (Preferably one with some padding covered with a silk cloth) then take a sharp knife and cut down the edge. Sure you will catch a few of the coins but it will be opened with no clanks...lol.

By the way, that was a joke, do not try this at home. I open mine by bashing them on the edge of the table like the other guy said...lol.

Ray
  • Options
    USE A HACK SAW!!!
    Always looking for a good nickel.
  • Options
    Take an exacto knife and gently find the edge of each coin. then cut all the way around the coin to free it from the one next to it. At this point you will have a coin with a protective covering around the rim for you to hold onto without touching the rim. then check to see how many you scratched.. toss the ones you scratched into a pile and then roll up all 40 of them and spend them, cause you scratched them all....

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    I always simply pour some gas on the roll and start it on fire. For the most part, once the paper is burnt off, the coins will just stay in one place, and not clank, leaving me free to pick each one up individually. imageimage
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone who responded and gave me their "best" strategy. After reviewing all of the coins, I decided to submit only 4. Hopefully they will come back with some high grades. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Chris
    I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I like to find my way back to the hideout, take off the masks
    and put the guns away. Put the hold-up note in a drawer if
    I remembered to bring it back with me.

Then I just lay them on the table and unwrap them one roll
    at a time.

Glad I'm not the only smart alec here.

-Keith H