:)
https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Lao coins but always wondered why the put a hole in the young lady's head.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I assumed that back in the days the coins were used that a lot of the rurals didn't have pants and a string would be useful to carry them with.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2024 9:02PM
    I think they got the idea from these guys:

France 10 Centimes 1939

France 25 Centimes 1930

:)
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I think in that case the French were possibly just trying to find an innovative way to save money by reducing the amount of metal used.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    When France started to colonize South East Asia around 1860, they picked up the local currency style that has a hole in the middle of the coin. The hole in the coin allows many small denominated coins to be grouped together (using an aluminum stick or small rope) to create a larger denominated currency unit. The French started to mint some holed Sapeque for Annamese kings in 1847-1883 and later adopted the practice to use in French main land and other colonies.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Lao coins but always wondered why the put a hole in the young lady's head. >>

And that unlucky elephant in the middle...
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I got a set of these when I was a kid from the local hobby store's meager coin offerings. They were in a paper envelope...might have been Littleton or some variation that sold stamps and coins.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These aluminum coins were quite common in unc at one time. One has to suspect they
    are not nearly so common now days since they are a common sight in poundage but not
    in dealer stock. They listed for pennies until very recent years when the prices were ad-
    justed sharply higher. They may be a little over priced.

They are all three seen in gemmy condition though scratches are quite common and nice
    50 cents rarely have lustrous surfaces.

I like aluminum more all the time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like what you've been doing in aluminum. image

It's been overlooked too long, I guess. Really the aluminums are quite attractive in high grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When France started to colonize South East Asia around 1860, they picked up the local currency style that has a hole in the middle of the coin. The hole in the coin allows many small denominated coins to be grouped together (using an aluminum stick or small rope) to create a larger denominated currency unit. The French started to mint some holed Sapeque for Annamese kings in 1847-1883 and later adopted the practice to use in French main land and other colonies. >>

Good info. I guess Asia had a tradition of hole-in-the-middle coins, dating back to the Chinese cash. I never stopped to think about how it might have carried over to homeland France from the colonies.

You've got Cladking approval. That's high praise.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.