Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How will the Icelandic volcano eruptions affect the short term world coin market?

Airports have been shut down across Europe and thousands are stranded.

No one knows right now when this will abate.

What do you think this will do to the CICF and the Heritage auctions?

Obviously, it will have no affect on us in North America and maybe Australia, but how about the European contingent?

Discuss.
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    hopefully it will reduce the number of bidders on world stuff .... better me for me !!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    More internet buyers???
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    How will European internet buyers get their purchases?
  • Options
    Slowly!

I don't think that the volcano will hamper bidding within my sphere of collecting! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How will European internet buyers get their purchases? >>

Uhhhmmmmmmmm?? It's called "mail". image

I'm sure the U.S. auction representative will be busy, if needed. image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    It does affect me - somewhat tangentially. Most of my customers are either northern European airports, airlines or ground handlers. If they don't get flying soon they may stop paying my obscene salary, which would limit my bidding. imageimage

Interesting web site I have found through reading articles on this disaster: Link For all the flight geeks here!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Uhhhmmmmmmmm?? It's called "mail".

The motto for the Mail service doesn't include jet engines being fouled by volcanic ash. North American routes fly over or near Iceland, so...

Unless Europeans want their mail to go on a slow boat, it might end up in a warehouse for a while. OR it might have to go through Asia.

I guess we will see what develops.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I saw the following statement in an article on the disruptions on the BBC website:
    "Royal Mail air mail deliveries to the US are being taken over land to be flown from a Spanish airport."
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It will affect it nada. I think that because it is a virtual auction, the buyer will be willing to wait for the item. -Dan
  • Options
    Oh crap! I hadn't thought of that!

I just realized, I'm waiting on coins from three diferent auctions, all from sellers in England.

I guess, I'll just wait a little longer. I have gotten used to not being in too big a hurry getting stuff to Australia anyway.

Thanks for the extra something to worry about!

• Options
    I have a couple of orders packed to send to PCGS for grading, but at the moment they will have to stay as I donot want them travelling around southern europe before flying across the atlantic!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting on a (non-numismatic) package from Australia. I wonder which direction it comes over from? I am hoping it crosses the USA via California.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

<< <i>I'm waiting on a (non-numismatic) package from Australia. I wonder which direction it comes over from? I am hoping it crosses the USA via California. >>

Yes, I believe most mail from here goes via Sydney to either L.A. or S.F., and I would imagine that if it didn't before, it will now.

You should have no interruptions in mail from Australia.
  • Options
    The obvious: Icelandic coins will be 'HOT'? image
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Well, not all of the Heritage CIC results are in yet (still another session to come), but I'd say that the volcano provided some significant discount for bottom feeders like myself.

hopefully it will reduce the number of bidders on world stuff .... better me for me !!

Mac reported that the floor bidding was comatose - no one was really there. The auctioneer who was managing the lots I won seemed quite exasperated about the outcomes.

More internet buyers???

Apparently there were, but they didn't support the weak prices that were realized. I think a lot of buyers got bargains. I am still wishing I had bid on some more of the Vicky silver, because on average it went for very cheap IMO.

It will affect it nada. I think that because it is a virtual auction, the buyer will be willing to wait for the item.

It seemed to have a significant effect especially if one compares results to the Heritage auction in January. I'm guessing that many virtual bidders aren't willing to bid up a piece with just a lousy picture from the auctioneer.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, not all of the Heritage CIC results are in yet (still another session to come), but I'd say that the volcano provided some significant discount for bottom feeders like myself.

Mac reported that the floor bidding was comatose - no one was really there. The auctioneer who was managing the lots I won seemed quite exasperated about the outcomes.

More internet buyers???

Apparently there were, but they didn't support the weak prices that were realized. I think a lot of buyers got bargains. I am still wishing I had bid on some more of the Vicky silver, because on average it went for very cheap IMO.

It will affect it nada. I think that because it is a virtual auction, the buyer will be willing to wait for the item.

It seemed to have a significant effect especially if one compares results to the Heritage auction in January. I'm guessing that many virtual bidders aren't willing to bid up a piece with just a lousy picture from the auctioneer. >>

The floor at NYINC was SRO (100+) as I understand it; so, a lot more opportunities to "volley" those bids.

I doubt if the CICF floor ever had more than 20 engaged bidders on any one country. Germany (States) started with some floor action, but things fizzled after that nice run of A-Cnut hammered stuff. Speaking of which, I might do a monarch run of hammered.............................when I get hammered. image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The floor at NYINC was SRO (100+) as I understand it; so, a lot more opportunities to "volley" those bids. hammered >>

Yes, but the Heritage NYINC (2010) auction room was VERY small, so it seemed much more crowded than it really was.
    I believe 50 people in that room would have been SRO.