Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Antique Store Purchase... 1902 Coronation Medal

I bought this today on impulse for $15. I don't know anything about medals except that this seemed like
a fair deal. There's some patina left, a little bit of dirt & crust which I like... so it seemed to have original surfaces.
I can't seem to find it after a quick ebay search so I was hoping to get a little help here.
It says Coronation and is dated June 26, 1902. There are portraits of Edward Rex & Queen Alexandria.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous piece and in fact, my first reaction is "You suck."
    Anyway, I suspect that this is a locally struck piece. The key may be in a further study of the shields. Does the piece indicate the artist?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    Gorgeous piece and in fact, my first reaction is "You suck."
    Anyway, I suspect that this is a locally struck piece. The key may be in a further study of the shields. Does the piece indicate the artist? >>

Thank you. I'm stuck at work tonight, but am eager to get home and see just what is on the sield. There are two small words,
    but they are not in english.
    When you say "locally struck", do you mean here in United States? There is no obvious artist name, the rims are smooth without reeding.
  • Options
    "Locally struck" may not have been the best phrase. Rather, the piece appears to be on commissioned by a locality, probably within Britain. The shield on the right may be the shield of that locality.

DPOTD
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice snag for $15.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>"Locally struck" may not have been the best phrase. Rather, the piece appears to be on commissioned by a locality, probably within Britain. The shield on the right may be the shield of that locality. >>

Here's what I found written on the sield. E.T. Mon Droit - Most of you probably know this, but...
    "The literal translation of Dieu et mon droit is "God and my right". Used with regards to a Monarchs divine right to rule.

The other shield has "Sine Metu" which translates to "without fear".

In tiny little letters near the bottom is KK STALL (I think) that might be the artists name, I need to get home with a stronger loupe to make sure.
    I still was not able to find anything about those initials.
  • Options
    According to Wiki Answers, "sine metu" is on the bottles of Jameson's Irish Whiskey. This may be it; a commemorative medal issued by Jameson's Irish Whiskey, though juxtaposed with an English coronation is somewhat strange.

DPOTD
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I looked in Brown's British Historical Medals but could not find a description of this coronation medal. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    This one is very similar. Could yours be also done by Restall?
    Jim
  • Options

<< <i>This one is very similar. Could yours be also done by Restall?
    Jim >>

That is pretty similar. After closer inspection, mine does have the name Restall under the reverse design near the lower rim.