Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

While browsing Seaver Rcs..I run across this

I was looking to buy a 67 Seaver Rookie and was browsing VCP and ebay to get an idea of what they have been selling for when I ran across this completed auction. #120547454165 If someone here wants to provide a link that would be great.
Basically a 1967 Seaver Psa 9 in the title selling for 699.00 out of a store? Only problem is the card is a 9 OC which is fine( no mention in title) but this is the same seller who recently had a 74 #599 variation Psa 9 that was mislabeled and it took a pretty long thread and some hard work by board members to before the prewar expert seller finally ended it. This seller sets up at most big shows and is a nice enough guy but really ....a listing like this???? I wonder if the transaction really went through and if the buyer was happy with paying a Psa 8 price for an offcentered card? maybe he could of added OC to the title instead of "pack fresh". Heck..he would of even had room to spell out Offcentered.
I know,I know...there are plenty of sellers on ebay that do this all the time but this guy KNOWS whats up. Anyways...

Comments

• Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Im not defending the seller because I absolutely HATE when sellers don't put the qualifier in the title, but the buyer had to know it was a 9 oc because it's shown in the image.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO when sellers leave out the negative qualifier like OC..they are deliberately trying to fool someone.
    Legitimate sellers put the qualifier in the listing
    Some even quote populations of straight grades as if theirs was part of that pop.
    An oc is considered 2 grades lower by psa and by buyers. So a 9oc is like a psa 7 and should be priced/bought that way.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellers who deliberately omit the qualifier are indeed trying to catch an unsuspecting buyer off guard. Putting the qualifier in the description box (which he did in this case), keeps the eBay dogs off his door. As I understand from eBay, as long as the description box includes any flaws, it's caveat emptor from there. Should the seller omit both the qualifier info in the listing line and the description box, this will allow the buyer to contest the sale and win.

Not only do I read all info in the listings I may be interested in, but I enlarge the photo AND run the cert through PSA to validate the card.

Nice guy or not, sellers who leave off the qualifiers in the listing line are scum, he clearly intended to deceive to his benefit.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    This guy has done enough of this funny bidness that it's become apparent he's trying to screw people.

Next show I'm at, I'm going to walk up to him and tell him that. Maybe I'll run some video of the exchange. Texas.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    It's bull crap. Ebay should let the title not list the qualifier like twice. After that.... suspended. I don't care what anyones' reasoning is----- it's trying to deceive the buyer one way or another. When you factor in some of the horrible or 1 inch scans, even a veteran collector can at times be fooled. Quite honestly, when I see this stuff I move on to the next seller. Unfortunately, we have a few of these type of deception sellers on this board.

And the ones who quote pop reports.....don't even get me started.

Mickey71
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually one of my favorites is this: When a seller says centered or perfectly centered. You look at the scan, and the most major flaw more often than not will be centering. I sometimes don't open the auction if I already know the seller has done this before.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually one of my favorites is this: When a seller says centered or perfectly centered. You look at the scan, and the most major flaw more often than not will be centering. I sometimes don't open the auction if I already know the seller has done this before. >>

I hate that too!!! And I've mroe than once seen a supposedly 'centered' card sell for a premium solely because someone labeled it as such. I mean don't people use their own eyes and judge for themselves? Sheesh.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I love when a seller notes "pop report of 1" on a 6.5 or 7.5 They don't mention there are 150+ higher though.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
    I dislike when sellers fail to leave Q's out of titles. But there are worse incidents when the are left out and the scans are deliberately small, or the qualifier is edited out, at least the scans here are clean and large, and he does mention the qualifier in the title.

Say what you will but the buyer left positive feedback and seems happy:

nice transaction pallavi12 ( 13) Apr-15-10 11:11
    1967 Topps TOM SEAVER Rookie #581 Pack Fresh PSA MINT 9 (#120547454165) US $699.99 View Item

A low FB buyer who maybe has something to learn about qualifiers, but is currently happy.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    What if a seller only says "PSA" in title, and its a PSA-1.

Its the buyers fault if he thought he was getting a centered card, the picture is obvious and it along with the description below the picture has all the info needed before the buyer placed his bid.

People that dont put OC in title are just wanting more actual looks at their auction, its not too bad IMO, but not the best practice.

It would be different if you were buying a PSA-9 sight unseen (no pic) and card ends up being a PSA-9 OC.