Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinion Poll: Should Green Tint Variations be added to the 1962 Topps Baseball Master Set?

Your opinion and any comments you would like to share would be appreciated as to whether Green Tint Variations should be added to the 1962 Topps Baseball Master Set.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    yes
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    if they are designated as such on the flip and the pop report there is absolutely no reason for them not to be part of the master set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Yes. They're not a newly discovered variation that few people collect. But before they can be part of the master set PSA has to start labeling them as green tints. Actually some of the green tints are already in the master set when the green tint card happens to have a pose variation or the inset photos on the team card. It's quite a chore for PSA to start labeling these after they've graded so many cards, and green tints make it a little harder because some are very hard to differentiate from the non-green tint card. There's always resistance to add a mass of variations like these, or the different paper stock colors, but there's a whole lot of people who collect them. They collect them whether PSA labels them or not, they just have no place to list them. It makes no sense to pretend they don't exist and people don't collect them. They're in every guide except SMR, people collect them, so PSA should label them and add them to the master set registry.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    PSA should have been labeling the green tints from the get go. It would be a money maker for them to start doing it now. Never understood why they didn't.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    this may seem a bit obvious, but has anyone requested it?
    Anytime I've made a request to Joe and backed it up with documentation (Krause guide or other similar reference material) and stated why I thought it should be labeled as such he's agreed, often within minutes.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a whole series of them....it would make the tough '62 Master Set damn near impossible. I don't think they should be labeled separately. Why not do both gray and white back cards in same series in '59 and '60? Nightmare.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    In addition, I do enjoy collecting the Master Sets with the variations. If they make green tints variations or white versus gray backs variations in the Master Sets, I would not enjoy it and I would not do it. That would be it for me. I suspect others will feel the same who collect these Master Sets.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    How about a compromise? Why not have a separate 1962 green tint set? That will allow those who want to complete a basic set to do so while letting those who want to collect all the variations to pursue that.
  • Options
    Agreed. I think all legit variations should be added for the sake of comprehensiveness but let people collect the set they want.
    Variations should have their own sets in the registry. Then maybe add a new category: "Ultimate Master Set" with variations included in the master set.

EDITED TO ADD:
    I'm not sure why this stuff is so contentious with PSA (and why it takes so long). If it's a matter of not having the manpower to physically put the sets in the database, I'm sure a lot of guys on this board would do some freelance data entry for some grading vouchers.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I would love to see the green-tint variations added to the Master Registry Set! The Billy Hoeft Green/Blue Sky labels, along with six other variations in the cards numbered 110 through 196, were a start. I enjoy the heck out of searching for the green-tint/cropping/registration variations, especially since it's only from the cards 110 through 196. That's a manageable number. There is such an obvious difference between the print runs that it should be a valid variation. The Basic set has its purpose in life and the Master set has its objective of being all-inclusive. I'd be happy to resub to get the variations labeled as such.

I'm trying to document the variations I have so far between two Basic Set Registry entries, but that doesn't make it very easy to share with others what I have. I like what you've done, Steve, with the pictures of both together and an "Owner's comment" mentioning the differences. But, that's just a work-around...

[edited to add:] Here's a link to a previous discussion on this subject.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no comment on variation except that some are absolutely stupid.nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can certainly see both sides of the issue, particularly as I'll usually keep a vibrant greenie with my best set even if I have a nice normal copy. That said, I hate the idea of all of the cards that have been graded thus far specifying neither - it is so late to the party that it is just unfair to have to resubmit. It is not like the '52 with the star or the good work of the guys here on '90 topps - it easily could have been done before but wasn't. I guess reluctantly I'd say no.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    FYI, just for grins and giggles, I sent in some '62Ts recently and labeled a #120 Bob Purkey as a "Green Tint" variation and a 111 Dallas Green and 145 Barry Latman as "No Tint". Got the cards back today and...no variation listed.

Not surprised, but I'd enjoy the heck out of having my Master Set correctly listed...