Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1913 MPL - Mintage: 2,983

Got this coin a little while back but having gone to the Santa Clara coin expo today I had todd (blu62vette) image it.

imageimage

Comments

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    1913 MPL - Mintage: 2,983

or is it 2,848

Chris and other MPL fans,
    Take a real hard look at Kevin Flynn's Lincoln Cents Matte Proofs book from last year. Review ALL the detail data from metal book 1 and metal book 2 listed on pages 108 and 109. Then read Kevin's explanation on page 98. Then read the book 1 and book 2 detail of Lincoln's struck on Mar 5th. Then read the detail of Buffalo Nickels struck on March 3rd and March 20th. They actually accepted MORE than they struck! Then read the detail of Lincolns delivered on March 5th and also Buffalo's delivered on March 5th and March 20th. You tell me if all this detail data convinces you that the true quantity of Lincolns struck is 2,983. We already know that the variety 1 of Buffalo nickels struck is 1,520 and has been reported by the Red Book that way for years and years. Why did they have to change the Lincoln cent mintage?

I know that 99% of Lincoln cent collectors could care less, but it seems that Whitman and the Red Book are determined to change history after reporting one set of numbers for 50 years. And it isn't just Kevin Flynn or the 1913 MPL. Check out the 1911 MPL. Kevin's book says 2,411 were minted. The Redbook says 1,725. The historically reported number is 1,733. If the changes the Redbook has made in reporting of MPL mintages since 1998 were consistent and factual rather than the informed JUDGEMENT of researchers, I would be fully in support of updated facts. Unfortunately, these number changes are just personal judgements. As we all know, the true actual mintages of these rare MPL's will never be known. Why not leave the historically reported numbers from the 1950's as they are? All other publications like Coin World and PCGS's Coin Facts continue to report the historical numbers.
    Thanks for listening to my rant.
    Steve image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

I too found the mintage's quite confusing as well. Well its around the 2,000's I guess we can all agree? image