Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

WILL GRADING PLUS CAUSE YOU TO REGRADE YOUR REGISTRY SET ?

I have about 30+ sets listed in the Set Registry and I have no intention of resubmitting any of my sets for regrade/upgrade.

How about you and your sets ?

Stewart

Comments

• If i was going to sell a PQ coin i might think about resubmitting it but as a collector a plus or a star does not mean anything to me
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I may take advantage of the FREE PCGS quarterly Collectors Club submission before the end of June on one of my coins for regrade. Just to see the Secure Plus and how it works. My guess is that within a year ALL PCGS coins will go thru the Secure Plus process. As far as all my other PCGS holdered coins, I have no intention of resubmitting now because I have no intention of selling now. Steve
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Stewart, I think your reputation trumps needing to re-submit any of your coins in for stickers, pluses, stars, fireworks, etc.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Steve - So to understand what you are saying is you WOULD resbmit your coins when you are ready to sell ?

Stewart
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I'm only going to do it for my CC Special and also for my free gradings that I get for sets that are over 90% complete.

And with those, it'll only be on coins that are in the newer blue label holders that I think are upgrade candidates. My OGH and Rattler upgrade candidates will stay where they are for now. And when I send in my upgrade candidates, it's not just because I'm hoping for a +, they are coins I purchased with the belief that they are worthy of the next full grade anyways image

Other than my freebie gradings, I have no plans of sending in any others for regrade under SecurePlus. Sure it irks me a little bit that some of my coins that were tied for a top pop are now all of the sudden no longer at the top because others have gotten their +, espeically when I'm confident I could get that + too if I paid for it. But I'm not sweating it too much.

If and when the day comes where I need to sell my collection, I'll probably leave it up to the dealer(s) and/or the auction house I consign my coins to whether it's best to leave the coins in their old school holders or to send them in for the laser treatment.
  • TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    No. I already paid once to have them graded. I'm not going to pay again just because they change the playing field to include a +... or a 4-leaf clover... or any other lucky charm...
  • It is not really cost-effective to try to get that plus on coins where the plus does not make a big difference. For instance, a common date Morgan dollar, like 1884 or 1881s, in MS63--it would have to be one heck of a coin to justify re-sending it. Maybe it is "PQ" for the grade. Suppose it even deserves MS64. Maybe it's worth buying for $55 instead of $40. But, for the cost of sending it in, one could just as well buy a second one.

Where it matters is at the points where value starts escalating. The for the above example, MS66 or better is about where I would consider it worth doing.

As for positions in the Set Registry, I question whether forking over money just for bragging rights is worth it. The Set Registry is for the coins, not the other way around.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. IMO, my coins are worth more in the old holders with CAC stickers. Based upon some very nice sets that I know of not getting a single plus, I feel that the drop in value from being in the new holder without the plus more than offsets any potential increase in value from the pluses that I might receive minus the fees.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. There are only a few Lib $2.50 registry sets and adding a few + signs won't effect the standings.

I'll reconsider however if the competition (Bass, Eliasberg and Smithsonian) starts sporting some conjectural + signs. image
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1926 MS 65 cent that I once sent in trying for a MS 66. I think it has a shot at the Plus, but its the only coin I will submit.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve - So to understand what you are saying is you WOULD resbmit your coins when you are ready to sell ?

Stewart >>

Stewart,
    I have no idea what the market conditions will be when I sell so I can't say NOW what I might do then. Right now, since I believe I have a "nice set" of Lincoln cents, but NOT a "spectacular set" with many coins possible + candidates I will be happy with keeping them holdered the way they are. I have NEVER been a chaser of higher grades on my PCGS holdered coins.
    Steveimage
  • I have sent my 63-D Lincoln to PCGS, using the CC quarterly special. I do not plan on sending anymore coins in, unless they are freebies.

RegistryNut image

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    No, respectfully.
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins that would be my best candidates all have green footballs on them and I don't want to lose them. So for now, I'm standing pat. Am interested to see how the Plus plays out in the market but it will be a year or two before we will be able to say much. Some coin folks, incapable of taking a wait and see attitude, have made up their minds in about 30 seconds.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I would go more for the + designation on the premium coins if they did not have to be reslabbed to get the designation. I sent some proofs in for registry annotation and several of the Roosies spotted in the process. Once the coin is in the slab, I think it stabilizes over time even though I know the plastic is not fully air tight. There is always a chance of accidental mishandling that would put hairlines on a proof.

Possibly, I would reconsider when selling the collection if the marketplace is putting a significant premium on the coins.

The biggest advantage is that you get a little bump in the registry versus going for CAC.

For an ultra-rare coin, I believe I would go for the service.
    Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any decision really needs to be on a coin by coin basis- the look of the coin, the spread in terms of value to the higher grade and the value of just leaving it as it.

If one is selling- it might be a contrarian play that gets top dollar- consign the coin and let the market figure it out- while there is risk to this approach, there is risk in cracking out and resubmitting-

I suppose I have afew coins worthy of some consideration but I am in no hurry to do much of anything with those

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the registry folks figured out what, if any, bonus will be in the registry sets?
  • I'm taking a wait and see approach to the issue. A question came up regarding how the revocation of the copper color guarantee would be dealt with for resubmissions. I would want written confirmation on that before I'd send any copper back.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Maybe if I was planning on selling sometime soon, but I am not.
    Doug
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    No. Other than my one free quarterly submission.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I have no registry sets but had what I thought was a PQ coin that would have more demand/value if it got the plus.

I am happy to say I am 1/1 so far. Thanks Stewart!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that quality coins repersent themselves

NO * + or been needed

Now for some collectors they need something to help them.

Mainly newbe's

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Twincam, they haven't announce the ... 4-leaf clover ... program yet and had no plans to for a couple years, who do you have that is a spy at the board meetings?image

I may send a couple in, that extra half point would be handy in small sets
  • It's also important to keep in mind the role of technology. Secure Plus is the kind of tech PCGS wishes it had in the late 80's but obviously couldn't. I view this time as a transition period whose end result is unknown. But I believe the eventual phasing out of the transitional grading option is a likely outcome (like the photo cards from ANACS in the mid 80's. As PCGS gears up to meet an uncertain demand, costs will fall and likely correspond to lower prices. One thing to watch will be their response to what kind of demand they're receiving.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only those ms64 examples that I feel should be in 65 holders. image In reality, not that many. Shag
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I will be sending in all my PQ examples soon,as I am selling both my walker and peace dollar sets.

If I were going to keep them,I would probably just leave them as they are.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Nope. It's all within the normal margin of error.
  • TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>Twincam, they haven't announce the ... 4-leaf clover ... program yet and had no plans to for a couple years, who do you have that is a spy at the board meetings?image >>

A couple of years sounds about right. That gives all those willing to do so plenty of time to buy the 1/2 point. Then we roll out the 4-leaf clover program, which allows you to buy 3/4 of a point...we just don't know the cost yet. image
  • No, Too many variables when it comes to even a regular grade. How can one expect a precise decimal grade, equating a +plus, when there are so many cases of inconsistent regular grading.

I honestly hope a grading machine is developed. That would forever end the inconsistencies.

Either that or PCGS has to come up with a way to grade an old green holder coin in the slab, because I have an entire registry set worth close to a half million in the old green holders. It would be insane for me to submit those coins to secure plus, as a legendary person has already done. The gamble is too great and as I said, TOO VARIABLE.

• << <i>I have sent my 63-D Lincoln to PCGS, using the CC quarterly special. I do not plan on sending anymore coins in, unless they are freebies.

RegistryNut image

image >>

I started thinking about this True View image. Will I lose it, when the coin is regraded and housed in a Secure Plus holder? The serial number is going to change and won't match the image number. Right?

RegistryNut image
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have sent my 63-D Lincoln to PCGS, using the CC quarterly special. I do not plan on sending anymore coins in, unless they are freebies.

RegistryNut image

image >>

I started thinking about this True View image. Will I lose it, when the coin is regraded and housed in a Secure Plus holder? The serial number is going to change and won't match the image number. Right?

RegistryNut image >>

Yes, you will...
    The coin will recieve a NEW serial #

:-(
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    great ?? about the true view?..i would probably go for the +..where i thought it belonged.
    Bruce Scher
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Don said that True-Views would transfer to the new coins.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be sending in all my PQ examples soon,as I am selling both my walker and peace dollar sets.

If I were going to keep them,I would probably just leave them as they are.
    Larry >>

Why not just let the market "re-grade" them?
  • MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭

NOT GUNNA HAPPEN !

NOT EVEN AT HALF PRICE ........................................

Mark

• << <i>

<< <i>I have sent my 63-D Lincoln to PCGS, using the CC quarterly special. I do not plan on sending anymore coins in, unless they are freebies.

RegistryNut image

image >>

RegistryNut image >>

From frequently asked questions regarding Secure Plus submissions: 60. Q: Does the certification number change once a coin is put into the Secure Plus holder? If so, what if the coin has a TrueView image?
    DW: Just like the Standard service, when you submit a coin for Regrade via Secure Plus you will receive a new certification number. If you already have a TrueView it will transfer to the new cert #.

RegistryNut image
  • a few coins i thought already undergraded that in the half grade increase are worth over $300 more! image
    Well, I just bought into some of the hype with eight of my coins. We shall see...
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha.....if there was a minus (1) I'd be inline for that as I'm a lowballer.......plus doesn't do anything for me!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • I am not sending in any of my coins in my sets, including the Flying Eagle set.

Why spend money on plastic, instead of spending money on coins?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the past few decades, I built many of my personal sets with superb premium quality coins, passing on many of the "top pop" super low pop, one grade higher, coins that simply did not measure up to my specimens (or were of marginal improvement). The + really benefits most of my sets. I expect to submit many of my set coins to PCGS this year. I bet a number of you reading this are in the same boat... with beautiful quality registry sets (and not just "numbers" on a holder). At some point, your collection will probably need to see PCGS too I would imagine.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHAT "LOOK" IS THE GRADERS LOOKING FOR IN EACH PARTICULAR SERIES.

If you look at the results at all the Simpson sets you will notice significant upgrades. This set participants Barber dime collection received 40+ upgrades submitting 74 coins. If you ask David Poole what he thinks about grading plus he will probably tell you it was very disappointing. He only got one or two upgrades submitting his complete Washington Quarter collection.

What is a + coin ??????

Stewart
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

A plus coin is better than "solid for Grade" and not as nice as the next grade. That probably makes it a liner, that didn't quite make it .

Where I see that over half of the coins submitted to CAC for the green bean make it, ( and they should, if submitted by a knowledgeable collector who knows his/her series), I expect the success rate on plus to vary considerably-- half of the coins in a 60 coin or more series would be outstanding, and 20 to 30 % would be a win.

But some collections have been fully graded over the years with re-submissions every so often. That collection may be top quality, with very few coins to be plussed. The liner 65's have already made 66, so no improvement would be expected.

We have for years been touting the joy in finding PQ coins for grade. Now, at least some of them will be recognized( by a label) for what we have believed to be the case.
    TahoeDale

<< <i>We have for years been touting the joy in finding PQ coins for grade. Now, at least some of them will be recognized( by a label) for what we have believed to be the case. >>

EXACTLY!
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I much prefer the old way of doing things , buying PQ coins in 65 and 66 holders and getting upgrades to 66 and 67 eventually. The chance of a + is just not getting me all hot and bothered to send in scores of coins for regrade.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org