Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Converting BCCG cards to PSA?

Does anyone have any experience with this. I have a few BCCG 10 cards and I was considering changing them to PSA. I'm curious as to the grading standards and what I should expect. Should a BCCG 10 roughly equal a PSA 9?

Bernie Kosar collector

Comments

• Options
    Never actually tried it but did have the idea also. Went ahead and bought an '86 Jerry Rice RC BCCG 10. When the card arrived it did not look mint to me, maybe an 8 at BEST. So I gave up.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm currently collecting PSA 8s for an experiment in crossing to BCCG.

My personal experience going from BCCG to PSA has not been good. Others have had better results.

I do believe that for modern cards anyway, BCCG 10s generally come close (but not quite) to PSA 9s in sales prices.
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I bought a couple of Muhammad Ali BCCG 10 cards on ebay and I was underwhelmed by their condition. They didn't look nice enough to have any kind of a 10 on them, especially from a supposedly legit grading company. I was disappointed. The seem to be Near Mint+ not Mint. I don't get it.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    I'm currently collecting PSA 8s for anexperiment in crossing to BCCG

Experiment?! I didn't know you were a scientist. Perhaps you can get a government grant. That could be the most sensible use of the stimulus package.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm currently collecting PSA 8s for anexperiment in crossing to BCCG

Experiment?! I didn't know you were a scientist. Perhaps you can get a government grant. That could be the most sensible use of the stimulus package. >>

Shouldn't you be sitting in a dark closet somewhere poking voodoo pins in a Brett Favre doll?
  • Options
    When I first got back into collecting 3 or so years ago I bought a few BCCG 10's and like others on this forum was disappointed with the condition of the cards. I don't think a single one even came close to PSA 9, they were all decent to strong 8's. It's a totally different grading standard to BGS/BVG.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Shouldn't you be sitting in a dark closet somewhere poking voodoo pins in a Brett Favre doll?

I don't need a dark closet. All I have to do is turn on the big screen during the playoffs in January. I have 911 ready to go on speed dial because as usual #4 is going to need someone to perform the Heimlich manuever on him.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    The smart thing to do is expect at least a two grade bump down from BCCG to PSA, and maybe more.

I've seen some BCCG 9's on ebay that looked like PSA 5's at best.

I think BCCG is the discount grading arm of Beckett and they don't spend much time really looking over the cards.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>The smart thing to do is expect at least a two grade bump down from BCCG to PSA, and maybe more.

I've seen some BCCG 9's on ebay that looked like PSA 5's at best.

I think BCCG is the discount grading arm of Beckett and they don't spend much time really looking over the cards. >>

They are even somewhat honest about that 2 point drop. A BCCG 9 label clearly says '9 - Near Mint or Better', and a BCCG 7 says '7-Very Good or Better'.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq