Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Siscia Mint?

Hi.
A Probus billon antoninianus with radiate bust to right the obverse legend IMP C M AVR PROBUS PIUS AVG and reverse reading SOL INVICTO with Sol and a 4 horse chariot with KAB below.

Am I right in thinking this is from Siscia or Serdica? If so, which one and any references would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Probus silvered Antoninianus with those mottoes and KAB in the exergue suggests that it is from the Serdica mint and most likely is RIC 81B. You may want to check out the Wildwinds.com site to compare your coin the the ones pictured there for that attribution number (and the other Serdica mint listings). The Siscia mint issues for Probus seem to all have some combination of letters beginning with "XX" in the exergue instead of some combination beginning with "KA".
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Thanks, I'd just edited the first post to change the question to Siscia or Serdica.

Edited to add - what a useful site! I don't normally do Roman, but had a couple of unknowns. It was RIC 861B, not 81B, but thanks for the heads up.