Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why can't error coins be put into competitive sets?

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently purchased a neat 1868 Shield nickel with 180 degree rotated dies from a forum member. I had been debating with myself about buying it.
I really like Shield nickels and this rare die rotatation got me extra intrigued with the piece.
I had an 1879 proof, but sold it (along with the IHC proof and 3C proof) because I couldn't see myself completing that proof set, so I really wanted something to fill the slot in my US type set. This is the coin:

imageimage

I purchased it to put into my US Type set, but when I tried to add it, the registry wouldn't let me. I emailed PCGS to ask if they could put it in manually, and got this back:

<< <i>Hi Dwayne,

According to the PCGS database, your coin is designated as an error coin and cannot be used in the competitive registry sets.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Thank you,
Cosetta Robbins
Assistant Set Registry Manager
Collectors Universe Inc.
>>

I really like the coin, and will keep it whether I can use it it my type set or not, but I don't understand why error coins can't be used at all.

Are there any special sets for error coins?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is mostly a data base problem as sets are built on the coin number.
    Errors get some funcky numbers it seems and in order to put them into sets they would have to reset the data base every time someone tried to add a coin.
    Some times we all end up with a coin or two that just doesn't fit the norm. The collectors show case is for those type of coins we still want to show off. Anything goes there you can even call it what ever you want withen reason.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure, but there may be a possiblility that the coin could be regraded and reholdered without the E code.

PM don willis on that......
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Funny, but I recall in the past Braddick used an error coin in one of his regular sets. I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand they way they do it. I sent this one back for reholder so it could get the right coin number. It originally was put in an error holder.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    varieties are allowed, like the '72 DDO above, but errors aren't... I think those are just the rules.

what sucks is that for awhile some varieties were put in "error" holders so those must be reholdered into variety holders to be put into a set. Even then, you sometimes have to ask PCGS to add the coin number for the variety to be a permitted coin in a regular set if no one has requested it before.