Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pack Bidder Alert: 1980/'81 Topps basketball wax tray--is it legit or counterfeit?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Tim. Would love to see pictures!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff Tim. Would love to see pictures! >>

Here are a few scans of different trays throughout the 1970s for Topps baseball:

1974 (with wrapper variation Topps reused in 1976 and for which 76 trays are often misidentified as 74 trays)

This is a 76 tray with 74 wrapper variations

74 tray with Bonus Team Checklist wrappers

1975 (my favorite tray for 1970s baseball)

77 tray

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I would think that if Topps made 1979 Football trays and 1980 Baseball Trays, then logically it is at least possible that they produced 79/80 Hockey tray. Can't say that they did, but it would make sense.

When I was a kid just starting collecting, they only place I remember seeing trays was in the grocery store. I remember when they went for the 1980 Baseball trays to the 1980 Football grocery racks (those red racks that contain 3 wax packs).

The only place I remember ever seeing 79/80 Hockey packs were in Fun Bags that my dad bought me a bunch of during the Halloween season.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I used to own a '76 tray similar to the one above. I found it odd that the expiration date for the special offer on the reverse was 1/31/76. Why have an offer expire before the 1976 season even started?

With regard to the '79-80 hockey trays, I still find it odd that they suddenly appeared in the mid aughts. That would have been a very desirable item going back to at least 1990 when hockey cards got hot. I'm sure they would have been popular among Canadian collectors in the '80s had they existed. But I've never seen any evidence that they were around. Ditto the '80-81 basketball trays. Those would have been really hot when basketball got hot in the same time frame. Again, never saw any advertised for sale.
  • Options
    Redheart, the reason for the 1/31/76 expiration date is that Topps reused trays from 75 in 76.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Tim...I think you should do a pack guide like Mark Murphy did back in the day lol. We need all help we can get to lessen the odds of being burned! Been there & it sucks!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite Topps ad offer expiration date....technically, the offer has never expired, and should still be valid!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is my favorite Topps ad offer expiration date....technically, the offer has never expired, and should still be valid! >>

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant and I'm born in September so should know better, very cool!
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's an example of a 76 tray being touted as a 74.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an example of a 76 tray being touted as a 74. >>

I contacted the seller and he is relisting it with correct year.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Good job, Tim... and thanks for the pics! Didn't mean tout with any negative connotation, seller did a great job relisting after getting your info. He listed quite a few trays I watch for, noticed it and thought it was funny to see after just reading your recent posts to this thread.