Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My view of the 20th century type set (AKA how IMO PCGS screwed-up)

It seems to me that in setting up the parameters for a 20th century type set there are two major issues, i.e. what constitues the 20th century and what constitutes a "type." Both parts appear easy, the 20th century ran from 1901-2000 (this is a well known/accepted fact). (The fact that the media made a big deal out of the change from 1999 to 2000 does not change this.) "Types" are just coins issued within that period. The bigger issue in my mind is type/date (i.e. once we have determined what coin types were used in the 20th century, date should become irrelevant).
If we look at dimes for instance, we have Barber, Mercury, Roosevelt (silver), and Roosevelt (clad). Once the types have been established for the set, date should not be considered; thus, any Barber from 1892-1916 should be acceptable for a 20th century TYPE set. Additionally, any clad Roosevelt from 1965-present (i.e. past 2000) should also be acceptable. The basic point being that a coin not produced in the 20th century can still be part of a 20th century type set since it has the same design and composition as the coin types produced in the 20th century.
As to the bigger issue i.e. how IMO PCGS screwed-up, they didn't show any respect for their customers. They just said this is it, only coins from 1900-1999 are acceptible, without providing any justification. IMO that's just bad business which will come back to haunt them in the future.
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    The good news is that NGC does interpret things they way you do Steve. At least as far as the dates go and allowing any date of a 20'th Century type.

Competition is great!!!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "just deal with it"! image
  • Options
    Yes NGC does allow any date but they do not allow PROOFS in their 20th Century type set. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ngc doesn't allow Proofs in their 20th Century Registry... Whew! And nor should they!

peacockcoins

• Options
    I think that NGC should have a set that does allow proofs, but only if they keep their MS only set as well. Although they are more flexible on their dates of inclusion, it is hard to call a set a 20th Century Type set if you used a bunch of coins dated 1892 in your set.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    If they listen to everyone on the dates it will be nice. I hope they do and I hope the type set collectors are happy with the sets when they are doen. Good Luck guys!!!