Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Thoughts on this 1955 Topps Ted Williams crossover attempt

redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought this very nice 1955 Ted Williams years ago. Recently, I finally attempted to get this card crossed over. My minimum was only a PSA 7. My fear was that it was trimmed as I have heard all of the horror stories with BVG/BGS. However, to my suprise it received "did not meet minimum grade". I thought I was playing it safe with a PSA 7 as I own PSA 8's that do not look this good. I guess I'm at least glad to know that it is not trimmed. Sorry for the glare on the right side of the card.

Comments

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    wow how is that not a 7?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Because it is a 7.5, ding another corner and maybe you can get it in a "7" holder. I'd stick with the 7.5 personally.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think PSA 7 > BVG 7.5 on resale value. I'd put 7 as MG and give it a shot. Nice Teddy!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    How does the back look?
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of surface wear on the card. Hat, face, and especially running through the body of the little picture(maybe even worked out wrinkle there). The baggie is probably hiding a lot, at the right angle it's probably a lot worse than it looks.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The fact that it did not meet minimum grade does not mean it is not trimmed. That could be the reason it did not meet the minimum grade.

It looks like it should have crossed to me, I would try again unless there is something wrong with the back.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm noticing the surface wear also. Although it is very hard to tell from a scan.
    Whatever the case, it looks like a nice card.
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scan isn't very good. The marks on Ted's cap are actually from the surface of the holder that it is in. You are also seeing some light reflection from the penny holder that it is in inside the plastic case.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you ask them to assign a grade without actually cracking it out? For example, if PSA deems it to be a 5 but they leave it in the BVG holder?
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a great looking card, but as others have said, there looks to be some surface wear on it and that is what may be keeping it from crossing to a PSA 7. The thing I don't understand is Beckett gave it a grade of 8.5 on surface condition. Maybe what looks like surface wear are scuffs on the Beckett case. If that's the case I don't understand it not crossing to a PSA 7.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Besides the print snow on the surface, maybe your Williams card has a subtle surface wrinkle that PSA spotted but BVG didn't. That's an automatic PSA 6 or lower. BVG gave it an 8.5 for surface which seems to be way over graded in that area.

Still, you have a very nice card there. If it doesn't cross, kept it in the BVG holder. If you go to sell it, you'll get more as a 7.5 than if you get it put into a PSA 6 or lower holder, imho.