Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thread closed re. new guy alleged "rip off"

My biggest question is, why would anyone want to collect all the HOF rookies in grades below 5 anyway? Even if on a budget, why not just purchase G, VG, EX etc raw cards if on a shoestring? Particularly the more modern and affordable cards. Jeesh, does it have to be slabbed to be of merit in a low grade?

Comments

• Options
    Its called wanting to be a part of the registry on a budget.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its called wanting to be a part of the registry on a budget. >>

So wanting to be part of the Registry on a budget entitles you to accuse myself and others of trying to rip you off and/or take advantage of you?

Take your budget and go buy yourself a clue!!!
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My biggest question is, why would anyone want to collect all the HOF rookies in grades below 5 anyway? Even if on a budget, why not just purchase G, VG, EX etc raw cards if on a shoestring? Particularly the more modern and affordable cards. Jeesh, does it have to be slabbed to be of merit in a low grade? >>

33 Sport Kings along with 48 Leaf and Bowman are can be very expensive in 4 or higher. Not all collectors have access to a variety of raw cards and even then there is the possibility of card doctoring.

Some collectors have tight budgets and still want to take part in the registry so a low grade is the best they can do.

Modern card can be quite expensive as well. Just look at Manning's and Brady's PSA 9 SP rookies as examples.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    dfr my pt was that expensive vintage cards can be had less expensively in low grades than vintage 3's and 4's. my pt re modern cards is that an ungraded nm card is affordable as opposed to a psa 9 of a "modern" rookie. duh.
  • Options

<< <i>dfr my pt was that expensive vintage cards can be had less expensively in low grades than vintage 3's and 4's. my pt re modern cards is that an ungraded nm card is affordable as opposed to a psa 9 of a "modern" rookie. duh. >>

Ok, and my point was that some just want to take part in the registry and a low grade graded still offers some assurance that the card has not been doctored. duh.lol

title.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    sometimes it's a whole lot cheaper to buy a graded lower grade card than a raw one. The raw one will often be bid up by buyers thinking they can have it graded and flip it for a profit. The lower graded card can be downgraded due to a technical issue ('51 Redbacks with tiny, unseen paper wrinkles, T3's and T9's with a pinhole) and be had for a relative bargain.
    Additionally, by buying a graded card you're reasonably sure it's not recolored or trimmed. While that can slip thru at any level, your exposure is a lot less on a lower graded card than a high dollar, high graded one.

In the end, collect what you want to collect and let others do the same.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>sometimes it's a whole lot cheaper to buy a graded lower grade card than a raw one. The raw one will often be bid up by buyers thinking they can have it graded and flip it for a profit. The lower graded card can be downgraded due to a technical issue ('51 Redbacks with tiny, unseen paper wrinkles, T3's and T9's with a pinhole) and be had for a relative bargain.
    Additionally, by buying a graded card you're reasonably sure it's not recolored or trimmed. While that can slip thru at any level, your exposure is a lot less on a lower graded card than a high dollar, high graded one.

In the end, collect what you want to collect and let others do the same. >>

Very well said.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>sometimes it's a whole lot cheaper to buy a graded lower grade card than a raw one. The raw one will often be bid up by buyers thinking they can have it graded and flip it for a profit. The lower graded card can be downgraded due to a technical issue ('51 Redbacks with tiny, unseen paper wrinkles, T3's and T9's with a pinhole) and be had for a relative bargain.

In the end, collect what you want to collect and let others do the same. >>

Thank you!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my case, I collect baseball HOFers, and in particular, pre WWII HOFer cards. With pre-WWI caramel cards for example, prices start jumping exponentially in grades above 2. So, I limit my collection to PSA 1s and 2s as it pertains to caramels. In the 20th Century tobacco cards, I go with PSA 4s. 19th Century tobacco is a bit easier to obtain in PSA 3, but in PSA 4 and above, prices jump drastically.

I kind of go with a chronologically based condition goal:

pre-1950 cards in PSA 4 and below
    1950s - PSA 5/6
    1960s - PSA 7/8
    1970s - PSA 8/9
    1980s - PSA 9/10
    1990s - PSA 9/10

That way, I'm able to expand my collection at a fairly consistent pace, and keep it fun, without having to spend an inordinate amount on any one card. Also, I really only buy PSA and SGC graded cards because, while I'm willing to accept lower grades (mainly due to budget issues), I still want original, unaltered and untampered-with cards.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, and my point was that some just want to take part in the registry and a low grade graded still offers some assurance that the card has not been doctored. duh.lol >>

Good point about alteration protection. Forgot about that. Duh!

Personally, I would rather not even collect anything that is less than grade 7..........ever. Which is the main reason I do not collect tobacco cards, etc.
  • Options
    When your sh#t starts to stink call Ripley
    He won't believe it!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, and my point was that some just want to take part in the registry and a low grade graded still offers some assurance that the card has not been doctored. duh.lol >>

Good point about alteration protection. Forgot about that. Duh!

Personally, I would rather not even collect anything that is less than grade 7..........ever. Which is the main reason I do not collect tobacco cards, etc. >>

Depending on a person's budget, only going after cards graded 7 and higher can be quite limiting and not much fun.

title.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I don;t think there's an issue with however someone wants to collect the NFL HOF RC set. You want a million dollar collection and have the means to obtain it? Go for it! And those who do shouldn't be hated on by those on a budget or without the means. No reason for jealousy..Vice versa, if a collector is on a budget and wants to go after cheaper lower graded stuff, that doesn't make him any less of a collector. Guys with unlimited bank accounts also shouldn't hate on those who choose to go the cheaper route for whatever the reason may be.

There's plenty of room for each end of the spectrum plus all of us in between Collect what you want, and what you can comfortably afford. That way, you can enjoy it. And don;t worry about what everyone else is doing.

Now that being said, I don't know the whole backstory on this. If someone is accusing another seller of attempting to "rip them off" because they offered a card either outside their collecting budget, above VCP, or for more than what the last one sold for on ebay, well that's BS.

Look, if a seller wants to try and sell a $10 card for $10,000 SO BE IT. The seller is the owner of the card. The seller can ask whatever price he/she wants. You either accept it and purchase or you simply say no thanks. It's just that easy. Eventually, someone will either pay the asking price, or the seller will have to keep coming down until his asking price is within another collectors price range. Worse case it can be auctioned starting at $.99 and the ebay market (or in some cases the auction house market) will set determine the price.

Just my opinion of course, but I've been in this set and in this hobby hardcore buying and selling PSA graded cards for the last 12 years, without a break. So I have a frame of reference to which I speak from.

Like I said, room for all types of collectors here. No reason for anyone to be offended by expensive cards OR cheap cards.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    You want a million dollar collection and have the means to obtain it? Go for it! And those who do shouldn't be hated on by those on a budget or without the means

i have no dispute with that statement. however for some it seems that "collecting" has gone out the window and the word "hoarding" replaces it. for a few it has come to trying to be the #1 registrant in every set from 1950-1975, never getting their own cards graded and bullying their way through every auction.

can someone really enjoy this? how do you store all of this? they must have one heck on a safety system in their home or a very expensive insurance policy.

it is like wal-mart coming to town and annihilating everything in its way. most of us have made acquaintances along the way sharing the trials and tribulations of our sets. winning a few, losing a few and inch by inch building a set.

am i jealous? most likely a bit. but while my sets are puny compared to the "i need to own everything" collectors, i can honestly believe i have made more friends along the way. winning every card because you can makes very few friends and a lot of unhappy people who have spent years in building a set on to see daddy warbucks come up to the top of the ladder in a few months.

these million dollar collectors are like don't players on a crap table who hide in the corner next to the dealer, never getting to yell and cheer with the rest of the table.
  • Options
    Holy cow. All I stated was that FOR ME (key words FOR ME) I am not the least bit interested in collecting anything below grade 7. Am I a mega millionaire and does my *hit not stink for stating that? Please.........Get a f***ing clue Mark.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Not everyone cares about the registry. I use it to track my inventory, but I do not care if I'm 1st or 100th. I'm doing this because I enjoy it, not as a competition.