Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Where are all the psa non sport card collectors?

I see that non sport cards on the registry sets are about to pass basketball in total sets. So my ? is why is there only a few new posts every day? Where is everyone?

Comments

• network 54 526604 I suppose

Google it
  • I hear you! I have just started collecting some non -sports cards. I love them, but the message board is definitely dead. I have had some nice transactions with a couple of guys, but there is not much going on here on the board. Maybe you can get it going.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Thanks guys. I have collected non sports for the last 40 years and have just started sending them in to psa. Mostley 2000 and up autograph cards for now and already enjoy the fact that another member "Mad Marty" are chasing the same sets. Let the fun begin.
  • Good luck. I just got into 1966 Get Smart cards. My wife bought my 9 year old son the DVD and it just seemed to me that collecting the cards was next!

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Hey Brian tough set to put together. I do have the complete dvd set. Max is an idot but I love him. Mike
  • Yes it is definitely hard to put together a high grade set, but I am getting there. I have bought some nice ones, and "mintstate" on this board was kind enough to send me some.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect non-sports cards also. Mainly, I limit my collection to Space (Star Trek, Star Wars, NASA), Mutoscopes and pre-1960 military issues. My collection is mostly raw, although I do have complete PSA-graded 1933-34 Sky Birds, 1944 American Beauties and 1889 N222 Kinney Leaders sets.

Personally, I'd love to see more action on this board. It does seem though, that nearly all collectors congregate over at Net54.

Let's see what we can do here image

Steve
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I recently started the 1980 You'll Die Laughing set along with the sticker set....I've found that the cards are not real plentiful....or at least they are not on ebay a whole bunch.....thinking of...and don't laugh....starting the Dallas set.
  • Ok, now that is embarassing! Dallas, really! Just kidding, have fun with it. That is why I like the non sports cards right now. I have an amazing sports card collection, but it is getting very expensive. The non sport cards bring a smile to your face for a good price as long as you do not get crazy with PSA 10's.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • I have a large collection of PSA Graded Non-Sports cards on the Registry. F&B scans have been posted on the PSA set registry if you would like to check them out. I'm computer challenged so if someone could post a link I would appreciate it.

With a few exceptions, I only have 30's R cards graded. Most of my 1950's & newer sets are raw, mostly in VG or better condition.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Thanks for the replys, I have checked out network 54. They seem to be more 30's, 40's and 50's. Also I notice that they seem split down the middle when it comes to grading or not to grade. As for collecting the Dallas set- go for it.I have a lot of 70's and 80 sets I love to grade.To bad psa could not come out with some kind of special so that you could grade the cheap sets. I would love to do the 70's Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica. Mike
  • Hey Alnavman. Try searching under Creature Feature, you will find more results. As far as Dallas goes. there are two different puzzles on the back making it a 112 card set. ( centering is also a problem ) Mike
  • BTW - Think it's dead over here? Check out SGC's Non-Sport Forum
    30's R Want List:

thanks for the Dallas info....I have had four cards graded so far, all 8's so might just go for a PSA 8 set if I decide to continue.....used to love watching JR, talking about evil.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I just started a couple new non sports set. 2009 Donruss Americana and 2008 Benchwarmers. Neither graded though. The Americana is cool but wayyyyy too many variations. The master set is 1700+ cards. So I think I'll just do a couple subsets like Auto's. The Benchwarmers, well, enough said there. I think I might work on every year of those.

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I have collected non sports for the last 40 years and have just started sending them in to psa. Mostley 2000 and up autograph cards for now and already enjoy the fact that another member "Mad Marty" are chasing the same sets. Let the fun begin. >>

Let it begin indeed!!! But no matter what! I will always be on the top in the 2009 Star Trek Movie autos!!!

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Hey Marty I remember when you first posted that set. I think at the time you were one card short of a perfect 10. I missed the boat on that set and now it's quite expensive.I am only going to continue with the Twilight zone sets in the new stuff. When I finish grading my autoraph sets from 1998 and up I am going to send in some of the older cards that I bought long time ago from vending. Mike
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about the twilight zone set, way too many cards for me!!! I just sent in an order of (I hope) upgrades to some of my existing sets. My new sets to work on are the Dawn 15th and the Dawn 20th Autos.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Right now I'm either No. 1 Current Finest or All Time Finest on every one of my Believe It Or Not sets, except for the 1970 Kilpatrick's set (No. 3), but after I get the rest of my raw Kilpatrick BION cards graded - that will change.

Always looking to buy BION cards that will upgrade my sets.

Got any you want to sell? - email me at bettabuddy52@yahoo.com
    30's R Want List:

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I have been interested in starting a Target Moon salmon back set and have been searching eBay and the web for a couple of months but no look in finding high end cards. It has been my goal to be patient and wait for a "mini hoard" to start my collection as I like cards in high grades. Tough set I know, I guess I have time!

<< <i>I have been interested in starting a Target Moon salmon back set and have been searching eBay and the web for a couple of months but no look in finding high end cards. It has been my goal to be patient and wait for a "mini hoard" to start my collection as I like cards in high grades. Tough set I know, I guess I have time! >>

The last hoard of Target Moon cards I know of came out of west Texas in the early 1990s. It also included a bunch of high-grade 1957 Topps basketball. I was lucky enough to pick up a complete set of the Target Moons (blue backs) at the time, for $400. Except for the usual centering issues, they are all gems image I don't remember if any salmon backs were in the hoard though.

Steve
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very tuff set to find in 8. I have a few 8's in my set. I don't think 50 8's exist over all.

In some cases a 7 is the highest graded thus far.

And in at least one case it is a 5 that is the highest graded.

IMO you should set your sites a tad lower.

A set in true EX/MNT would be a terrific set.

Good luck!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree that my sights are indeed set high. Especially considering I am after the Salmon popsicle backs. I don't need to break the bank trying to put a set together! I think the ones that came out of that hoard in Texas were the Space Cards and not the Target Moon versions and so that is why the pop reports show many more higher graded Space Cards version. Either version, and either back has just great classic images. It is a cool set!

<< <i>I think the ones that came out of that hoard in Texas were the Space Cards and not the Target Moon versions and so that is why the pop reports show many more higher graded Space Cards version. Either version, and either back has just great classic images. It is a cool set! >>

Trust me, I bought a set from that find, and it is definitely the Target Moon blue-back set.

Steve
    The salmon backs only come with the target moon back.

They also are a 44 card set not an 88. Many numbers are missing.

Some think they were released in the mid 60's and not 1957.

Steve

Good for you.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Wow..........what a strange place. I don't think I've ever been over here before, at least that I can remember.

Wow.
    Hey Bug....don't they have salmon on the west coast???? al.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The salmon backs only come with the target moon back.

Steve >>

I think the evidence supporting the salmon backs being issued in the late 60s is pretty conclusive. The Wrapper did an article on it some time back where uncut sheets were shown with the salmon backs as one of three sets (Who Am I? and a car set were the other two) printed up on a single sheet to be issued in"Fun Packs" around 1968.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

• << <i>

<< <i>The salmon backs only come with the target moon back.

Steve >>

I think the evidence supporting the salmon backs being issued in the late 60s is pretty conclusive. The Wrapper did an article on it some time back where uncut sheets were shown with the salmon backs as one of three sets (Who Am I? and a car set were the other two) printed up on a single sheet to be issued in"Fun Packs" around 1968. >>

Correctomundo!!!!!!!!!!!! see my New Thread on the Target Moon Salmon backs!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I have a few non sports sets in the registry. I have put a lot of effort into my 1966 Marvel Super Heroes sets. I am not sure why this set is not as popular as some of the other sets but I like it. I just started the 1965 Disney set. I have 5 PSA 9's and just bought a pretty nice raw set.
  • Very nice 1966 set. I love it when no one else is collecting the same sets as it"s all yours. I think at one time no one was interested in the 3 stooges cards. Now look at them. Thanks to all that have posted. I have enjoyed reading what other people collect. Mike
    Hi Mark

I should have said that differently.

I too think they were produced later than 57/58

Steve
    Good for you.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Hey Steve! Good to see you over here; I'm sorry I stop in so infrequently. I was trying to remember who the 4 of 5 of us were who finally got PSA to add this forum to their boards a few years back (5 years? 6 years?) - There was you and me and Keith (cubfan) and another guy (I can't remember his user ID). Do you remember all the original settlers of this forum?

I would love to spend more time here, and that is certainly not to knock anybody's collecting interests, but, for me, all my NS sets are early 60s and before and that's the area of sharing I'd like to get involved in. The N54 board is diverse, but....well, need I say more?image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."