Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the price guide really need to put prices for + coins worth under $100 or $200?

AllCoinsRuleAllCoinsRule Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭✭
The guide sure is cluttered now. Who's going to pay $115 in grading fees for a $100 coin anyway.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    They should only put prices for coins that exist in PCGS holders.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    They also have prices for regular coins (non +) that are less than grading fees. A lot of the presidential dollars are listed at 4 bucks in certain grades.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The guide sure is cluttered now. Who's going to pay $115 in grading fees for a $100 coin anyway. >>

It would depend on the price of the next grade up. Probably rare maybe even no such thing but a coin that is say $100 in 64 and $800 in 65 might be worth trying if you think it would get the plus.

But I do undersand your point image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They should only put prices for coins that exist in PCGS holders. >>

Yes. I don't like the made up prices either.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. The price guide does indeed look cluttered.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>The guide sure is cluttered now. Who's going to pay $115 in grading fees for a $100 coin anyway. >>

The PCGS Secure Plus fee for Express service is $65, not $115. And if PCGS didn't include prices for the lower value coins, most assuredly, someone would be complaining about that. image
  • Options

<< <i>Stupid question, so you don't pay $65 in addition to the $50 express fee? It's $65 instead of $50?

They have an ms65rd 1988 Lincoln at $10, an ms65+ at $11, and ms66 at $15. It's just absurd. (You'd be lucky to sell any of those for $5). >>

Depending upon your choice of service, you pay one fee or the other, not both combined.
  • Options
    PQTypePQType Posts: 471

Guilty as charged (for paying more for the grading and slabbing then a coin value)

It's a hobby right, and to me a hobby is suppose to be fun....and I have my reasons....my nephews image

• Options

<< <i>

Guilty as charged (for paying more for the grading and slabbing then a coin value)

It's a hobby right, and to me a hobby is suppose to be fun....and I have my reasons....my nephews image

>>

What do your nephews have to do with having the coins slabbed? Are they plastic collectors?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    If the "+" grading becomes the norm, PCGS will offer it for all tiers of service; you just need to be patient.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082

Yes.

PCGS probably purchased a lot of extra "+" signs for their computers, and now they have to use them. If not used in a timely manner, the "+" signs will get stale and eventually decay into "-" or "~" or even "=".
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Look at proof platinum and gold. PR70s are valuable, 69s are undergrades with usually little value over spot. 68's and below are junk. + doesn't apply to 69 or 70, only 68 and below. The price guide shows a 6x+ worth $2 more than a regular 6x. Not that I see a better way to do it since if it wasn't there they would probably get requests but I find it a bit humorous. --Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file