Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My two eBay (raw) Silver Dollar wins arrived today

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
The seller used a flatbed scanner for his auction photos. I took a bit of a chance the toning was eye appealing.
I ended up pleased after opening the package.

Morgan:
imageimage

Peace:
imageimage

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see the actual auction but I'm guessing you did o.k.
    I like 'em.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are both very eye appealing coins, I like-emimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Didn't BNB warn you about the dangers of buying raw coins on eBay! image

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link to the original photos?

They are definitely nice and colorful on your photos. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a link to the original photos?

They are definitely nice and colorful on your photos. Congrats. >>

Sure, here are links to the auctions.

Morgan auction LINK

Peace eBay auction LINK

peacockcoins

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i find these coins very ugly and very unappealing

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Well.... you should keep mean comments to yourself. I.E. If you don't like the coin just say its not attractive to me... I like blast white coins.

Pat, I for one love that morgan toner... what a beauty!!! I think you did well.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    WOW THAT MORGAN IS PRETTY!!! The Peace is just ok, IMO. But wow, that Morgan is a LOOKER!

-Paul
  • Options
    really and why can't i speak my mind on these coins? if i find them ugly that is my right to say that and there is little you can do about it

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Pat, based on the images, the coins look AT (or at a minimum, questionable) to me. But are the colors in the photos accurate, and what do you think about the coins?

Edited to add: I know you said you were "pleased", but what do you think about their originality? Thanks.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>really and why can't i speak my mind on these coins? if i find them ugly that is my right to say that and there is little you can do about it >>

You are correct, do I sense a little bit of attitude toward my comment? All I am saying is that if you are going to degrade a coin you could do it with a little bit of kindness.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>really and why can't i speak my mind on these coins? if i find them ugly that is my right to say that and there is little you can do about it >>

You are correct, do I sense a little bit of attitude toward my comment? All I am saying is that if you are going to degrade a coin you could do it with a little bit of kindness. >>

Agreed. You should have said "Not for me." That would have been just as effective without coming across as insulting.

-Paul
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I bet my 1 Morgan dollar against your 1 Morgan dollar that at east 1 of them grades at pcgs. Anyone can play, but limit 10 people so I dont go BKimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    really, sorry i don't suger coat things i tell it as i see it blunt, clear and honest and there is nothing you all can do about it

• Options
    Paul and tdec1000, thanks for sticking up, but silverpop has earned his right to speak his mind on these boards anytime, anyplace. He's one of the good guys and good, bad or indifferent, his opinion is valuable to me and should be to others as well.
    Mark, I know the toning to be genuine and strongly suspect PCGS would grade them. I won't be sending them in though as much as I like the color on the Morgan (the Peace wouldn't be worth it) the hits on the cheek would keep it out of anything but an MS63 holder, at best.

I'll be looking for a classy Capital Plastics holder instead.

peacockcoins

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pat, based on the images, the coins look AT (or at a minimum, questionable) to me. But are the colors in the photos accurate, and what do you think about the coins?

Edited to add: I know you said you were "pleased", but what do you think about their originality? Thanks. >>

Isn't that toning shadow seen on the date and bottom stars nearly impossible to replicate by the doctors.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Thanks Pat. I like it when collectors don't feel like they have to try to get anything and everything into a holder, regardless of the cost of the grading, relative to the value of the coin. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Thanks Mark, and relicsncoins, I agree. The 'ghosting' is even stronger, in hand.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I have no doubt that the morgan is genuine and colorful and I would lay odds that PCGS would holder the coin and yes the untoned shadow for me is some of the strongest evidence but the colors and patterns look correct as well. With that being said, with the price he paid raw + what grading fees would cost if he were going to certify the coin.....I think he pretty much paid what the coin is worth which isn't a bad thing in my opinion considering the quality of the original photos. image
  • Options
    Thanks Shane,
    The one feature I'm loving about the Morgan that was extremely difficult to photograph is the pure, 100% proof-like cartwheel luster! The colors come alive when this one is gently spun under the light source.
    My favorite combination is intense color/toning coupled with blazing luster. It's a winning coin and if the marks were lacking, a true "pennies paid on the dollar" Morgan.

peacockcoins

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Morgan but not for that price.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    A couple of quick shots to show the PL surfaces.

peacockcoins

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    that is a killer reverse, that I would have never predicted off of those scans

you obviously felt strongly with your max bid snipe,

did you think the obverse was going to be better or the reverse?
    and did you predict PL fields?
  • Options
    sinin1, yes to both questions.

I'll bid strong(er) on Morgans I believe are PL.

peacockcoins

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat - for the sake of discussion: If these had not been to your liking, based on your initial perception of the scanned images, would you have still posted digital photos here for review and comment?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Hi Braddick! I miss going out to LB and visiting with you and the wife on the bourse floor.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    The dollars look great but I certainly couldn't tell anything from the scans.
  • Options
    JsayreJsayre Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Great job assesing the coins from the provided photos/scans. I would have never guessed these coins would be the result of the E-bay scans. As nice as the Morgan is, I really like the peace dollar. Common date, common grade but the skin looks superb. Sweet coins!
  • Options
    coindeuce, I'd like to think the answer is yes, but in all honesty, probably not.
    gsaguy, I miss that too. I always thought, after viewing your stunningly beautiful Morgans first thing upon arriving at the show and then walking the floor is akin to eating at a five star restaurant and then walking the dinning area of Denny's.
    Jsayre, there's something to be said for original, albeit not as colorfully toned, Peace dollars.
    123cents, It's like learning a foreign language. I can't always translate the scans (ie: words) but get lucky sometimes.

peacockcoins

• Options

I love the Peace and feel it is NT.

The Morgan's obverse looks too AT for me but the reverse is awesome!
  • Options
    MAN, I had my eye on that Morgan, but just couldn't come to terms with the scans..........you did excellent and for me the coin is a HOT in your pics, CONGRATS braddick
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I thought everyone said that you can't fake that pull-away effect? If you can fake it like you guys are saying...then we are toast.
    Becky
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Pat. Hope that you and yours are well....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I like the coins too. You took a big chance based on the photos and won. Good for you! image
  • Options
    Really, I think the coins are attractive, I have a few reservations about the morgan, but its still a nice coin
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    the ebay scans make the morgan look AT but your photos make it look NT. when i looked at the first set of pics i thought it looked PL.image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file