Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First the BIG ONE now CAC Grading Service???

Someone I deal with told me earlier they CAC will have a prototype holder at central states and will be up and running in late June.

Many of my coins are CAC. I think they do a great job and I trust them. I just dunno if I can keep reholdering/regrading my coins all these times for all these fees.

Has anyone else heard this?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm....potential for a conflict of interest there then?

Send in coin for grading (pay $xx).
    Coin is graded and, if CAC'ed, they have a method for purchase, right?
    If not CAC'ed, returned, but they know what they need to about the coin.

Hmmm....sounds an awful lot like the methods used by a 3 letter company that sued a lot of people a few years back (company was in Florida).

Now, I know the folks behind CAC are on much higher moral grounds, but if it does happen, they certainly do appear to have a confict of interest, imho.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or service are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well.

coincollector2007 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I am asking a question, not promoting or bashing. The dealer I spoke to lives and breathes CAC. I'm not so sure I believe them. They had told me last year PCGS was going to have dealers arrested for coin doctoring. Whats so wrong with a question?

I really do not want to see another grading service.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    What someone needs to do is design a generic holder and sonically sealed that everyone can apply their sticker, hologram, +, * designation, variety, seal of approval etc..
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just a matter of time before the self slabbers on Ebay, start self stickering.....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its just a matter of time before the self slabbers on Ebay, start self stickering.....

WS >>

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one am very very eager for the opportunity to pay for additional grading opinions for my coins!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    John Albanese appears to be honest, and intent to accomplish exactly what CAC was designed to do. I support him.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I'm skeptical of that report. I will check it out and post whatever I find out.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beauty of capitalism:

if there isn't a niche, we're free to carve one out.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see how this pans out. Competition is usually a good thing. We are down to pretty much PCGS and NGC at this point so a third trustworthy third party grader might not be a bad thing.

I know there are lots of others but trust is either not there or dwindling.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    They should stay in their own swim lanes and do what they do best... PCGS is THE market for slabbed graded coins... CAC is THE market for verification of slabbed graded coins. If CAC tries to move into PCGSs market, they will lose. If CAC has too many undergraded or overgraded coins in their slabs, everyone will lose faith. All they're doing now is stating whether they agree or disagree with the TPG... and are "taking" money to place a bean on an already graded slab. Why ruin a good thing?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm skeptical of that report. I will check it out and post whatever I find out. >>

Always the voice of reason....
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They should stay in their own swim lanes and do what they do best... PCGS is THE market for slabbed graded coins... CAC is THE market for verification of slabbed graded coins. If CAC tries to move into PCGSs market, they will lose. If CAC has too many undergraded or overgraded coins in their slabs, everyone will lose faith. All they're doing now is stating whether they agree or disagree with the TPG... and are "taking" money to place a bean on an already graded slab. Why ruin a good thing? >>

My thoughts as well.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why must the coins be considered when slabbing?
    They've apparently become secondary to their housing.

Grade often, grade differently.

• Options
    I just heard back from John Albanese, and to quote him word for word: "Not true !".
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just heard back from John Albanese, and to quote him word for word: "Not true !". >>

Darn! It would have made for some righteous threads going forward. image

• Options
    Thanks Mark. I kinda was hoping it was true-even though there are enough grading services already.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just heard back from John Albanese, and to quote him word for word: "Not true !". >>

image >>

It sure would have - maybe I should temporarily delete my followup post. image

The main reason I was skeptical, was because from the beginning, JA had said that he had no plans to transform CAC into a grading company. And I believed him.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

It sure would have - maybe I should temporarily delete my followup post. image

The main reason I was skeptical, was because from the beginning, JA had said that he had no plans to transform CAC into a grading company. And I believed him. >>

I remember when he was asked point blank at that lunch (with you, Laura, FatMan, IGWT, and my son), and he said that he had no intention of doing so.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I didn't think John would start a new service. There's no reason for him to do so.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I think they would lose their credibiltiy as a verification service if they did that, they have a niche and seem to do a good job, why mess with success?
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will use a small ANACS holder or a just buy Segs?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if they will use a small ANACS holder or a just buy Segs? >>

What are you talking about?
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

I see now you said it was not true. Have any dimes for me?????
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Should have waited for April 1st to start this thread!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that with PCGS's Big One announcement everyone is going to try to reinvent themselves to some degree to stay ahead of the curve.

We as collectors need time to acclimate to the future changes within this hobby, as if you try to digest it asap some of these new services will come across as the emperors new clothes.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file