Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

When Do You Hold ...... and When Do You Sell ??

Here is an issue I have always struggled with and I would like to hear how others feel.

I have a handful of cards(300 +/-) from 1952 through 54, and 1957 all Topps and all graded as 7's and 8's. I am also building a set from 1970 and looking at starting 1967.

Now here is the dilemma....

Do you sell the older stuff to speed up completion of the newer sets? Do you hold the older stuff in hopes to get to them when you have more disposable cash to support the sets? and, If you keep the older cards do you look to add to those sets? How many sets do you collect at the same time? or, Do you sell everything and pick up golf?

Chris

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    CHRISKK - There is no set rule, your finances (or lack there of) will dictate what you should do...jay
  • Options
    Its different for different people but it depends on the amount of funds you have. If I see a nice run of something I need for either my 59 or 67 set, I have no problem selling a PSA 10 or a few nicely graded 1952's. I started breaking up the high dollar cards on my '50 Bowman set (its getting to be too much to go high end) and am happy with a middle of the road (PSA 5 or so) set. I'm also thinking of breaking up the 1960 set because I just dont feel passionate about it and the money could be better spent on cards I *really* want. I sort of fell into the 1960 set and ended up with more than half of it graded without even trying. Not a real good reason to collect a set.

The bottom line is you have to do whats comfortable but if the card has no real personal value to me, I have no problem selling it. There are some graded Red Sox cards that I'll never sell, even if the house payment is late. But I have no problem selling something like a PSA 10 Jeter card since it really means nothing to me.

The golf option is also a nice choice. image
    Misplaced Bostonian stuck in the south.

Currently Working On PSA Sets Of:
    '59 Topps BB, '60 Topps BB, '67 Topps BB, '50 Bowman BB
  • Options
    bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭
    The number of sets is up to you, but regardless the number, I think you need to prioritize them. Decide which set is #1,#2 etc. Then sell off what you need to when cards in sets prioritized higher become available.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Chris,

If your not sure which way to go - then hold onto what you've got until you absolutely need the money. Maybe at that point, you'll feel differently about them. Maybe two months or 6 months from now you'll have gathered enough pearls of wisdom from all of the expertise on this board (after wading through the crapimage) that a decision will be easy - maybe not. But, you will be older and wiser and the odds of NM and NM/MT cards from the 50's going down in value are slim to none.

I vote for hold until you really need to move them.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I agree that your financial status will dictate your priority. In my situation, I have almost completed my 48 Bowman (though not all graded), and wanted to start a 57 Topps set and 64 Topps Giants. Then I found out that my wife is pregnant. So since I can't really pour more money into cards, I feel that base on what I want and my financial situation, I will sell of the 48 Bowmans, and use that money to finance the 64 Giants, (and collect some key cards from the 57 and 61 set.)
    Fred