Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My turn to spaz over Yaz.

thought i'd share my latest raw purchase, a very fine looking example of Yaz' rookie and even better than expected from the scan which accompanied the auction.....using the "Welborn Method", i bid according to the concept of making the acquisition at least one grade below the anticipated value once holdered....i am now eagerly hopeful to see this card wind up in an 8 holder, but a 7 won't kill me, either.....the card has exceptional qualities in centering, bordering, gloss and surface, which is virtually spotless and free of the dreaded print lines which typically plague this card....opinions are welcome, i don't know exactly when i will send this in for grading, since i will likely make it one of my 6 freebies for the year, but i'll update when/if that happens.....enjoy! image

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jeff , nice looking card. I may be wrong but the right side of the front looks trimmed. I hope I am wrong .

Nice card , none the less.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Sonny, thanks, it's the lighting from the scanner....you can see a beam of light running along the right side on both images, but the card has already survived the finger test, all borders have that rough feel, point to point. image
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Nice card.

Looks like Yaz tore up the Carolina League the year before.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Nice card.

Looks like Yaz had a 31 point avg. playing high school basketball.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card.

Looks like Yaz had a 31 point avg. playing high school basketball. >>

dude. he was way ahead of his time.....late 50's and he was already playin' above the rim.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, definitely trimmed. Can't believe you gamble on something like that. I'd offer you something for it but I'm afraid you'd turn me down politely and cop an attitude.

Seriously though, nice card, pm me what you gave for it. I'm curious.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Well if it's not trimmed, that's a terrific raw purchase
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree ... if not EOT, that is one hell of a raw pickup. GOOD LUCK and let us know when you send it in.

I'll bet Manny (Flatfoot) is foaming at the mouth right now! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Great card. If it is EOT, can it be slabbed as 'Authentic'?

Here's to hoping it isn't EOT.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    PSA 8. YAZ.

$50 to Jeff's favorite charity if that card comes back EOT. It's fine.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card
  • Options
    Trimmed on lower right and probably elsewhere.

Recommendation: People ought to put a straight edge next to raw cards before purchase (something thin, like a white sheet of paper would do.)
  • Options
    cool....keep 'em coming, this is a far-out scientific study on life and the human condition.....so far, my original theory remains intact.

in the meantime, i'll see if i can find some more eye candy for this thread.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Yaz haz pizzaz.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people on this forum are trim obsessed...(and not in the good way!) image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Odd that people who frequent this side are more likely to claim trimmed, but go to the set registry forum and people are expressing astonishment that anyone would want to trim 1970's commons. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome looking Yaz...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    it's nice looking and very vibrant.

wasn't this card plagued with print roller marks?

Nevermind....guess I should have the entire paragraph before replying.