Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you shoot RAW?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to my new photography education,
which is obviously very basic,
it seems like most real pros currently shoot in RAW format (vs jpg format that most of us are familiar)

Here are the advantages of RAW shooting

You can adjust the white balance after the shoot with more accuracy and less artifacts
You can recover highlights that have been overexposed, you can change the exposure by 1 stop in either direction.
You can do more edits without degradation
There are obviously no jpg artifacts
You can apply the same adjustments to multiple pics in one step
You always have the original RAW photo to go back to if you want to re-edit later ( it's like a film negative)

Granted the pic size is larger, and a faster computer is required.

So it seems to make sense to me to shoot RAW for my coin photos,
what do you think.

LCoopie = Les

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    DO i SHOOT RAW?

no... I'm fully dressed !...why?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I usually wear my robe...
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    okay ... i'll be serious...

I shoot my pix in "nef" (nikons version of raw) then re-format the pix into "tif" which is "loss-less"...edit from there.
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I always shoot RAW (NEF). It is MUCH easier to fix the white balance later on!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If I'm doing a quick picture for the web, I'll just use a small JPG. I just use either AWB, which works most the time, or if it's a little tricky, just get it to the best I can. However, I use RAW when shooting almost everything else. If I decide to take pictures for my registry sets, I MIGHT go with RAW just to get a bit more detail.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    yes, but beware, I have cracked them out to shoot and then could not get them back into holders at the same grade
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever possible. So much easier to make corrections when you have the extra 4 bits of color resolution. Still waiting for CHDK package to be ported to my Canon SD1200IS so I can shoot raw with it, too.
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

OMG, I am freaking dying!!!!!

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>okay ... i'll be serious...

I shoot my pix in "nef" (nikons version of raw) then re-format the pix into "tif" which is "loss-less"...edit from there. >>

why not edit it in the nef format?
    LCoopie = Les
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you intend the finished product to be. If you are a professional photographer, shooting photos for a magazine, or wanting to create a poster sized print of your shot, then RAW is the way to go. If you are shooting coin photos to view on your computer or post to the Internet, JPG is fine. RAW does have definite advantages, but the trade-off in sheer size and computer power doesn't really warrant the RAW format if you are simply taking photos to store on your computer or put on a website. At least, that's my opinion.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you use to edit the NEF (raw) files?
    I don't think Photoshop handles them, does it?
    The MS editors I don't think handle them either......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Yep,

I don't even bother with the white balance on the camera anymore, I used photoshop to calibrate the white balance from a color card and then saved the settings. Now it does not matter what the settings in the camera, one click in photoshop and it's like magic. image
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Do you shoot RAW?

... are we talking about coins here? image
    "It is what it is."

<< <i>Yep,

I don't even bother with the white balance on the camera anymore, I used photoshop to calibrate the white balance from a color card and then saved the settings. Now it does not matter what the settings in the camera, one click in photoshop and it's like magic. image >>

Ben, for us novices, care to give a walk through on this? I understand what it means, but where to click and set this up in PS is not clear....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It really depends on what you intend the finished product to be. If you are a professional photographer, shooting photos for a magazine, or wanting to create a poster sized print of your shot, then RAW is the way to go. If you are shooting coin photos to view on your computer or post to the Internet, JPG is fine. RAW does have definite advantages, but the trade-off in sheer size and computer power doesn't really warrant the RAW format if you are simply taking photos to store on your computer or put on a website. At least, that's my opinion. >>

image Especially when doing images for online listings. I have actully got the comments that my images are too good and show how much can be wronge and still get a MS66 grade that people will not bid on them. And that is just showing 1000X1000 JPG images.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photoshop doesn't want to open my .NEF files. What's the secret?
    When in doubt, don't.
    from the Nikon website
    a free program
    to do basic editing of NEF files
    conversion to jpg,
    and batch adjustments

called ViewNX

LCoopie = Les
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I shoot RAW.

Pshop handles NEF just fine, just gotta make sure that you have the version of photoshop that can handle files from your particular camera.

I convert all of my NEF images into DNG format that is a photoshop RAW file. Photoshop has a free converter for doing this (DNG converter).
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    As new camera come online Adobe adjusts PShop to allow NEF from that camera, but only for the most recent version.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Photoshop doesn't want to open my .NEF files. What's the secret? >>

CS2 didn't support them, but CS3 and CS4 do.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It really depends on what you intend the finished product to be. If you are a professional photographer, shooting photos for a magazine, or wanting to create a poster sized print of your shot, then RAW is the way to go. If you are shooting coin photos to view on your computer or post to the Internet, JPG is fine. RAW does have definite advantages, but the trade-off in sheer size and computer power doesn't really warrant the RAW format if you are simply taking photos to store on your computer or put on a website. At least, that's my opinion. >>

I rarely disagree with Dwayne but here I will.

What is the downside? Computer storage and processing speeds are cheap. Raw gives you the most flexibility. It's the only way to go.
    Lance.

<< <i>

<< <i>Yep,

I don't even bother with the white balance on the camera anymore, I used photoshop to calibrate the white balance from a color card and then saved the settings. Now it does not matter what the settings in the camera, one click in photoshop and it's like magic. image >>

Ben, for us novices, care to give a walk through on this? I understand what it means, but where to click and set this up in PS is not clear.... >>

It would be a bit hard to walk through it here, It will be summer before I have time but I could write up little article then I might need a little reminder late July early August if you still want help by then.

It requires downloading a script and running it in photoshop to get the correct settings. The color card is not cheap either its $50-$100 depending on the card but well worth it if you take hundreds of photos. Basically I do this for each type of lighting.
  • photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    YES YES YES.

I shoot with a Nikon at work which is in NEF, convert it to DNG; for web use I use the "save for web" option to keep the size of jpegs down. The upside is that if I ever need to go back and redo the photo for print or another use, I have the files there safe and sound as large as I could ever need them.

The Pentax I am currently using for personal work shoots in DNG, which cuts out a step. (And in a pinch I can convert from RAW to jpeg in the camera, complete with adjusting the brightness and color balance, etc.)

If you adjust a jpeg you are actually destroying the image, taking away bits and pieces of the information stored in the file, and you can't get that back. It's just not worth it.

Now, if I were shooting a piece of furniture to post on craigslist, sure, jpeg will do just fine, but for coins or personal use? Shooting anything other than RAW is just silly. Memory is cheap, period.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i do
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CS2 didn't support them, but CS3 and CS4 do. >>

Ah ha. Needless to say then, the original CS doesn't support them either!
    When in doubt, don't.

<< <i>As new camera come online Adobe adjusts PShop to allow NEF from that camera, but only for the most recent version. >>

Dang it....I think my PS 6.0 misses out then image

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my goodness, I have no idea what you folks are discussing. is RAW a setting on the digital camera?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no raw coins is what we are talking about

<< <i>my goodness, I have no idea what you folks are discussing. is RAW a setting on the digital camera? >>

Yes,

It's basically the image the camera sees with no modifications. Much larger than the standard setting which is .jpeg that makes all the changes like white balance, color correction, exposure etc... for you.

This allows you to play with all those camera settings on the computer rather than on the camera.

<< <i>

<< <i>my goodness, I have no idea what you folks are discussing. is RAW a setting on the digital camera? >>

Yes,

It's basically the image the camera sees with no modifications. Much larger than the standard setting which is .jpeg that makes all the changes like white balance, color correction, exposure etc... for you.

This allows you to play with all those camera settings on the computer rather than on the camera. >>

RAW is not really even an image. Just the recordings of the individual red/green/blue photosites. The image must be reconstructed. normally done by the camera to the tastes of the camera designers. RAW allows you to fully control that reconstruction. Very powerful stuff.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I shoot Canon RAW, and convert to DNG. As others have said, it is a bit inconvenient,(if you use the free file converter), or you have to match Photoshop Versions to the camera you use for a more automated solution, but you get maximum performance.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Photography is still new to me and I am trying to figure it all out.
    simply,
    RAW is the file that the digital sensor of the camera collects
    before any processing by the camera.

Normally the camera, which is a computer by the way,
    has to process the RAW data in order to make a
    presentable image that we normally look at (jpg),
    its not just compression that is going on.

so the jpg that we normally think of as right from the camera,
    have already been processed by the camera (computer)
    but the camera may not do as good of a job as a person
    who can tweak the settings better, and get a more accurate image.
    Also your desktop or laptop has more computing power, and more time
    to do this conversion.

Is that right Mark?

LCoopie = Les
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't even bother with the white balance on the camera anymore, I used photoshop to calibrate the white balance from a color card and then saved the settings. Now it does not matter what the settings in the camera, one click in photoshop and it's like magic. >>

Can you do this with Photoshop elements? If so, how? I have elements, but have not used it and not familiar with the options.

Thanks. >>

I believe so, my last version of Elements did it but I have not used it for a while.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw or sheet film image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I do and now my wife is expecting our first in about 6 1/2 months. I have learned my lesson.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do and now my wife is expecting our first in about 6 1/2 months. I have learned my lesson. >>

Expensive lesson learned!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>simply,
    RAW is the file that the digital sensor of the camera collects
    before any processing by the camera.

Normally the camera, which is a computer by the way,
    has to process the RAW data in order to make a
    presentable image that we normally look at (jpg),
    its not just compression that is going on.

so the jpg that we normally think of as right from the camera,
    have already been processed by the camera (computer)
    but the camera may not do as good of a job as a person
    who can tweak the settings better, and get a more accurate image.
    Also your desktop or laptop has more computing power, and more time
    to do this conversion.

Is that right Mark? >>

Not Mark, but yes this is right, the camera processes the image, for example it does sharpening. Some of this is controllable via the camera user interface if you know where to look. Also JPEG compression is lossy, and there is less information in the JPG than in a RAW image.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Your archive image should be in lossless TIFF and stored on DVD.
    from my understanding the Nikon NEF format
    is loss-less, just like TIFF, so there is no reason to convert to TIFF.
    LCoopie = Les

<< <i>from my understanding the Nikon NEF format
    is loss-less, just like TIFF, so there is no reason to convert to TIFF. >>

It is true that RAW images are lossless, but I store my archive images in TIFF, or more recently in DNG as they are more likely to be readable by whatever new software comes out in the future over a manufacturer and camera specific RAW format. This is one of the things that Adobe touts as being a benefit of DNG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file