Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why I love to cherrypick and collect varieties

seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
You run a few searches on eBay every few days, looking for the same few things. Today is like most mornings, there's not much to see and even less to track.

You're about ready to wrap up one search when you click on an auction for a group of coins. The coin you were looking for isn't there, but something else in the lot catches your eye. You click on the image for a closer look.

The hairs on the back of your neck tingle.

You have a hint of a memory about it, something that made you stop, but you can't remember exactly what it means. But you know the guys are who will know, and one of them has a web site. You click around a little, until eventually you find an image. You go back to the auction listing and enlarge the photo again.

Goosebumps. That's it all right.

So now that you know what it is, you wonder if it's significant. You poke around the web site some more. You check price guides, auction records, message boards. Finally a hit. An expert found one a few years ago, and posted it to a forum. He was exuberant to find such an "extremely rare" coin. There's a picture. It's a beat-up, heavily worn dog. You go back and look at the auction again.

More goosebumps. Your face flushes. You feel a little chill.

It finally dawns on you to look at the price. No buy it now, a few small tracking bids. You wonder if anyone else saw what you saw. You add it to your watch list. You add it to auction sniper. You go back and look at the picture again.

You wait.

...and that's why I love this hobby.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Last time I thought I did that I got blown out of the water! You're right, though, it was fun to track it...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a link. We'll all give you a little "friendly competition". image
  • I don't do it with varieties....but when I see a nice coin with a bad image or without certain keywords that would draw interest.....I place a bid and cross my fingers that no one else spots it image
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You wait. >>

That isn't the part that I love. I'm with you on the rest, though!
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    post please
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • I saw the picture too, I saw the variety... But I did not set the sniper program... I am going to be sitting and waiting.... watching... hahahaha.. with my finger on the red bu... I mean on the mouseimage

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it man!!!! I wish you nothing but a score!!
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, you gave us enough clues, by now most of us have found it... see you 3 seconds before it closes image

ps just kidding. Good luck!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You run a few searches on eBay every few days, looking for the same few things. Today is like most mornings, there's not much to see and even less to track.

You're about ready to wrap up one search when you click on an auction for a group of coins. The coin you were looking for isn't there, but something else in the lot catches your eye. You click on the image for a closer look.

The hairs on the back of your neck tingle.

You have a hint of a memory about it, something that made you stop, but you can't remember exactly what it means. But you know the guys are who will know, and one of them has a web site. You click around a little, until eventually you find an image. You go back to the auction listing and enlarge the photo again.

Goosebumps. That's it all right.

So now that you know what it is, you wonder if it's significant. You poke around the web site some more. You check price guides, auction records, message boards. Finally a hit. An expert found one a few years ago, and posted it to a forum. He was exuberant to find such an "extremely rare" coin. There's a picture. It's a beat-up, heavily worn dog. You go back and look at the auction again.

More goosebumps. Your face flushes. You feel a little chill.

It finally dawns on you to look at the price. No buy it now, a few small tracking bids. You wonder if anyone else saw what you saw. You add it to your watch list. You add it to auction sniper. You go back and look at the picture again.

You wait.

...and that's why I love this hobby.

Sean Reynolds >>

Way cool. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    There are not many feelings that rival the thrill of the hunt. Good luck with this one, I hope it is what you think it is!!!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you on this. I love the hunt. On-line, in shops, in auctions, whereever they can be found. Just love coins... paticularly the varieties.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, you gave us enough clues, by now most of us have found it... see you 3 seconds before it closes image

ps just kidding. Good luck! >>

Thanks for the great feedback. I don't doubt for a second that others have seen this particular coin, it's not exactly a subtle variety, though it is one I wasn't very familiar with. Even if I don't end up with it, I love the feeling of discovery and the excitement building up to the end of the auction. About the only thing I like more is opening the bubble mailer when a rip arrives in the mailbiox. image

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sean, really am just kidding, and I agree with you, it's one of the best feelings in the hobby to find a cherrypick! Its been a long time since I've bought a coin and I miss it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well put Sean! Awesome post!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the above applies to wimmins.image The fox hunt can be more thrilling than bagging the fox.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All of the above applies to wimmins.image The fox hunt can be more thrilling than bagging the fox.image >>

...And you always need to nail the individual since firing into the flock (or herd) isn't effective.

Ya' don't wanna end up with the wrong collection.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Please let us know what it was after the smoke clears.
  • coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Great Post Sean, and I agree a Tremendous Experience!
  • the only time its frustrating is when someone else beats you to it image
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure does frustrate you but its always so nice when you beat out the other guy as well image. i picked out stuff that the other guy totally missed to which makes it a beautiful thing as well
  • Been there & I agree with you 100%!!!
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been through this many times in the last dozen years on ebay. Not much lately, tho.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    nice post, will you link auction when closes, even if someone else out sniped you?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Here is my cherrypick gone bad....1794 half cent cherrypick NOT

The day after he listed it he added the variety to the bottom of the auction. someone obviously alerted him. I put in a snipe at twice his opening price but it wasn't enough. BTW, Breen called this an R6 variety but now it is considered R5.

--Jerry
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lot closed tonight. My snipe never fired, the bids were already too high. I guess the word got out. (It was a rare seated dime cud, FWIW, I won't link the auction because I don't want the winner to lose out from someone contacting the seller).

Sean Reynolds

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    and yet one of the other thrills of cherrypicking/sniping

usually not knowing until the close whether you struck-out or got a hit, and whether the hit was a single, double, triple, or HOME RUN !!!!!!
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Sean, I will tell you that it is even BETTER in person at a coin show.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file