Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Ft. Worth ANA report

I was there for the ribbon cutting ceremony on Thursday and at 9:30, entered the bourse. I immediately went to the Twitty/Rinkor/Shaprio table to check out the flash. There was definitely some flash in their display cases as usual. After looking and making some purchases from them, I went to hear the "Big One" announcement. An hour later I was back on the bourse and decided to look at all of the exhibits. After seeing the Smithsonian and currency exhibits, I made my way to the PCGS booth to submit a Pilgrim. When I finished the submission, I noticed 2 display cases of the Secure Plus coins. One case had $10 Indians and one had Peace dollars. As I was looking at the Peace dollars, I saw IT. IT was THE dream coin, a Peace dollar in MS68! I stared in awe for about 5 minutes at that one coin wishing I could reach into the case and flip it over for a view of the reverse. So smooth, so satiny, so utterly fantastic and I actually saw it with my own eyes, not a pic on a web site. Absolutely incredible. I probably could have spent an hour looking at that one coin, but the lady "guarding" the case was starting to look at me kind of weird, so I moved on. The next day I returned and picked up some more items from Mr. Shapiro, did a quick viewing of the other tables, looked at the Peace dollar again and headed home about 11:30. It was worth the 5 hour drive to Ft. Worth just to see that one Peace dollar in 68.

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

You shouldn't be so shy - next convention that you are at and there is a PCGS display -
    simply ask if you can look at the coin in hand. The staff at PCGS are very friendly.

I enjoyed looking at quite a few of Dale Friend's CBH's while at FUN in January.

What was the MS 68 Peace Dollar you were looking at ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have to admit that it never hurts to ask. The worst possible answer is just going to be "no". Sounds like it was a good show for you. Can you post some pics of what you picked up???

Edited to add: I wish I could have been there. I have not been to a big show in a long time.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the MS 68 Peace Dollar you were looking at ? >>

It was the 1925 from the Simpson collection. The $10 Indians were also pedigreed to Simpson.
    Although, I could have swore that the labels said "Simson" instead of "Simpson"
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What was the MS 68 Peace Dollar you were looking at ? >>

It was the 1925 from the Simpson collection. The $10 Indians were also pedigreed to Simpson.
    Although, I could have swore that the labels said "Simson" instead of "Simpson" >>

Your eyes were messed up from staring to long at 1 silver dollar. lol

I had a great time at the show. For once i went with no motivation to really buy or sale anything. Still spent over 3k because i starting jonesing for a coin fix on the 2nd day
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you're big fan of Larry, Don and Steve.

As for the coins on display at PCGS, they're there for public viewing, so there's no need to feel akward or shy when looking at the coins. The "lady" you're likely referring to (ebony hair with glasses?) is someone I highly regard on a professional level and she isn't busy she'd be happy to pull any coins out for your closer look.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like you're big fan of Larry, Don and Steve. >>

I'm a big fan of these guys also. I only purchased two coins at the show and one was from Don and the other from Steve. image

Mike
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Larry, Don and Steve are great guys and solid, honest dealers.

They have some of the nicest Morgan and Peace Dollars around and if you are into those series you should keep them in your favorites. image

Edited to add:

Very nice show report kimber45ACP!

Good job.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys,
    We try to make it one stop shopping for peace,morgans,and walkers,along with some very cool toners,
    Larry

Glenn,
    would u like to share a table at Baltimore in June ??
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    Larry and Don always have nice silver dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file