Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade, toned 1895-O Barber 25c grade revealed post 32

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was given this coin yesterday for imaging from Holsonbake Numismatics yesterday for imaging, couldnt help but share it and thought it would be good for a guess the grade. Fire Away!!!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    AU-55
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55.

Nice color on that oneimage
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade the reverse stunning!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms64
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55-58
  • Options
    one in the ballpark.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    MS63, though neither a higher grade, nor an AU grade would surprise me. Liberty's cheek is light enough so that it looks as if the coin could be AU, though the rest of it looks gemmy.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    AU58
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58 or# 91.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the AU55 crowd.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough as the N.O.'s come with weakly struck centers, yet I feel this is a slider and AU55.

Yet eye appeal wise it would not surprise me if NGC had this in a market graded MS62 holder.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>58 or# 91. >>

The coin is in a NGC fatty holder with a sticker.

This may become more of a why it is hard to grade from pictures thread.....
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I think its too nice for a 55 - I really don't see any wear anywhere - just a
    touch of striking weakness...so...I'll go in DoubleEagle59's camp and say MS 64.
    I could just as easily be too conservative in my grading as well.

Mark is correct - it could just as easily grade higher than his guess of MS 63.

Love the toning on this coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    63....the obverse looks like a 58 but I don't see any wear on the reverse so I am assuming the obverse it tricky to image.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Glenn,

A super coin. MS 65 all the way!
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    I don't see anything going on in the obv fields like you usually would expect on a 55-58, so MS63.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the AU 55-58 camp. I like the color, but I don't know if NT or AT.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you all a bit of help. There is no rub whatsoever, it is MS all the way and no one has hit it yet although one was close. The pics are just a tad light in color compared to in hand but Todd was trying to pick up both color and luster. Always a challenging trade off.

Glenn

Edited for spelling...
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Than it could be MS 66image
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    I like it very much and if the coin has any luster I could see it in a 66 holder and maybe even 66*image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I'll give you all a bit of help. There is no rub whatsoever, it is MS all the way and no one has hit it yet although one was close. The pics are just a tad light in color compared to in hand but Todd was trying to pick up both color and luster. Always a challenging trade off.

Glenn

Edited for spelling... >>

In that case, I'm guessing it's in a 66 holder. But if so, the apparent flaws on the neck would make me think that grade was a stretch.
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    EDITED TO CORRECT MY ERROR ....

The coin posted by the OP is a wonderful specimen, and is not the coin I once owned. In fact it is the Dale Krueger specimen. The Krueger set was one of the prettiest groups of Barber quarters ever formed, and a handful of his coins did end up in my set. If I go digging in my records, I will probably find more info as to where it came from long before that.

I used to own a similar 1895-O quarter, now pictured in this thread down below. In the Heritage 2003 ANA Signature Sale, there were two absolutely awesome Barber quarters in a row, lots 6994 and 6995. These were an 1894-S and an 1895 quarter, both in PCGS MS66 holders. I graded the 1894-S a 67, and the 1895 a 68. I paid crazy money for them, and still believe each of those two coins to be the finest extant of its issue. (Don't judge by the Heritage images.)

After being so inspired by those two lots, I kept going and picked up the next two, which were an 1895-O quarter PCGS MS64 and a similarly nicely toned 1895-S quarter, also PCGS MS64, both very difficult dates in the series I might add.

I was very fond of the '95-O as a date. I later put an MS67 in my set, and reluctantly sold the 64 in an ANR auction, October 2004. I thought it could have been graded 65, but PCGS is conservative on deeply toned coins, and a few marks on the cheek can always conveniently be called "grade-limiting" when you ask. (Almost every coin has something which can be used as an excuse for the current grade.) Anyway I loved the coin.

There are VERY FEW reasonably original, attractively toned 1895-O quarters. The same can be said of the other silver denominations from New Orleans that year. Congratulations to the new owner of the very awesome example posted above.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    Sunnywood, the 1895-O PCGS MS64 Barber quarter sold by ANR in October, 2004 is not the coin pictured above.

• Options

<< <i>Sunnywood, the 1895-O PCGS MS64 Barber quarter sold by ANR in October, 2004 is not the coin pictured above. >>

I sent a PM to Sunnywood about that, this is a fatty holder so I didnt think it could be, this is also higher in grade. No doubt that the one Sunnywood is referencing is also a stunner!
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sunnywood, the 1895-O PCGS MS64 Barber quarter sold by ANR in October, 2004 is not the coin pictured above. >>

I agree with Tom. The coin Glenn has I'm almost certain was in the inventory of a friend of mine back in the 90's and as I recall it was in a 65 or 66 holder then. If it's the same coin is is a monster.

John
  • Options
    Regardless of the generation holder it is in, which is something I kept in mind before I wrote the post, the true clincher is that the mintmark position is different between the coins.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with 62 for the tick marks on the cheek and neck.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    *** OOPS *** ... obviously I'm losing my touch !!!!!!!!

SORRY for the mistake in thinking this was my old coin ... but I do know the coin. I knew I recognized it from somewhere !!! It is the Dale Krueger specimen. The Krueger set of Barber quarters was AWESOME, and a number of them ended up in my set (frequently in higher graded holders by the time I got them). In particular, I ended up owning quite a few of his "O" mints, including the AWESOME 1909-O which was Dale Krueger - Dale Friend - Sunnywood (as PCGS MS66). I loved this 1895-O, and haven't seen it for a while, which I why I didn't IMMEDIATELY remember it as the Krueger coin !!!!!

Here's my old coin ... Stack's image, not great resolution, but you get the idea:

imageimage

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A stunner. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for guessing. A classic case of the coin in hand being a lot easier to grade then from photos.

The coin is in an old NGC Fatty graded MS66 CAC so it has been in the slab for over 15 years. It came from the Dale Krueger Collection several years ago, has a very strong strike for this New Orleans date and the toning is just stunning. If you get the chance take a look at the couple of 66's and 67's in the Heritage Archives as to strike, miniscule marks etc. It will be an interesting study both in grading and learning a bit more about Barber Quarters.

For overall eye appeal this one holds up very, very well IMHO with it's brethren.

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A classic case of the coin in hand being a lot easier to grade then from photos. >>

Yeah PonyExpress8 this one threw me for a loop! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file