Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this Yaz rookie trimmed?

I purchased this Yaz rookie for what I thought was a steal. Up close, the card appears to have a decent chance at an 8 and seems to be a lock for a PSA 7. Just for reference, I paid about $80 for the card. It came back from PSA as trimmed. Do I send it in again since I would make about $150 on the card if graded a 7, or save the grading and sell as authentic and hope to make my money back? Card seems to measure up perfectly to other cards. image

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Let me guess, no opinions on my card????

Who wants to step up and take part in "help the moron" today?
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason your image isn't showing in your post.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the scan. The bottom border looks a little wavy, but those '60 Topps cards did have some funny cuts. It might be worth sending it in once more. If it comes back as trimmed again, then I'd have to say that it probably is.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like the top left and maybe top right sides could be a little bit trimmed. The top center seems higher than the ends...sharp looking card though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the upload
  • Options
    If not trimmed, would probably still get a PD qualifier due to the red smudge. Still a nice card. Would look awesome auto'd.
  • Options
    I'd send it back in but not by itself. If you have other cards and better yet other 60's cards that may help. It may not make a difference but others have had trimmed cards graded the second time around.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me guess, no opinions on my card????

Who wants to step up and take part in "help the moron" today? >>

LOL - am i missing something here? Did you really expect replies in less than 1 minute?
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Looks like a PSA-5 on a good day, I'd return that puppy to wherever it originated from ASAP
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They don't call him lightening boy for nothing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    Doing a rough measure on the scan, the left and the right side don't appear to have the same length. If you use a ruler, or caliper, and you can see that there is a distinct difference in length, it's probably not worth the time and submission fees.
  • Options

<< <i>

LOL - am i missing something here? Did you really expect replies in less than 1 minute? >>

no, I was referring to the fact that I could not get the pictured uploaded in my post
  • Options

<< <i>Doing a rough measure on the scan, the left and the right side don't appear to have the same length. If you use a ruler, or caliper, and you can see that there is a distinct difference in length, it's probably not worth the time and submission fees. >>

thanks for the advice, I'll probably just sell as authentic.
  • Options
    The left & right sides aren't a straight edge, though tiny possibility of a rough factory cut (hard to tell discern from a scan).

The following corners appear trimmed:

Upper left corner
    lower right corner

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    A bit hard to tell, as the upper edge looks like the card has a bend raising the center off the table.

Here's my take - I can't tell if it's square enough, but if it is I'd say it has a solid shot at grading well. As for being trimmed, I always find that laying it against a corner form I have made from matte board is the only way I can tell.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL - am i missing something here? Did you really expect replies in less than 1 minute? >>

no, I was referring to the fact that I could not get the pictured uploaded in my post >>

LOL, OK I figured it had to be something. When I looked at the time stamps though, I just had to laugh
  • Options
    To the goody two shoes who've never trimmed a card and yet buy raw cards, I say:

Take out a razor blade, and practice trimming a few bad condition cards. Practice fix corners, to get a straight edge.

You will learn, firstly, how it's almost impossible to get a straight edge. And secondly, the ability to recognize a trim job immediately.

Otherwise, these GTS gonna get ripped off again & again on raws.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>To the goody two shoes who've never trimmed a card and yet buy raw cards, I say:

Take out a razor blade, and practice trimming a few bad condition cards. Practice fix corners, to get a straight edge.

You will learn, firstly, how it's almost impossible to get a straight edge. And secondly, the ability to recognize a trim job immediately.

Otherwise, these GTS gonna get ripped off again & again on raws. >>

Well, that would explain why so many cards get submitted only to get a EOT, then get resubmitted and get a grade. I wonder why those PSA folks have so much trouble seeing it right away.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭