Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just received grades and have a couple of questions

It's been a long time since I have posted but have learned a lot by reading here on a regular basis. I'm one of those types that once I collect a coin I keep it, in fact I have never sold a coin, started collecting when I was about 10 and I'm 48 now. I recently decided to get more of my coins graded, I had a few done several years ago just to realize I wasn't good enough at grading to decide what to send in. I thought I was doing well determining grades for circulated coins, but not so good at MS or Proof coins. Well, part of that is true, I'm still not very good at MS or Proof coins. Anyway, enough of that, my questions are, A few of the coins I sent were expected to come back in Genuine holders. One of them was sent in several years ago and came back cleaned, it has been in a Coin World holder since, 1878 CC Morgan labeled MS64 that was purchased as a gift to me by my wife. This time it came back as altered surface. I don't understand that. If/when I decide to sell my coins I figured having a few in Genuine holders would help, but seems like "altered surface" might hurt more than help. I don't have pictures but any ideas what they saw this time that they didn't see before? What do I look for to understand why it received this particular "no grade" ? One of the other coins is a Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter with a rim ding. I expected it in a genuine holder but it graded. I never expected that and curious if maybe they missed this (I don't see how) or if a certain amount of ding is acceptable? It's a circulated coin and has some sentimental value and I wanted it in a holder, I doubt it's value would justify being sent in. Anyway, no complaints with PCGS, just want to learn/understand more for the future.

Altered surface, what does that mean in general, does a certain level of cleaning make it fall into that category?

Rim ding, do you think it was acceptable because it was a circulated coin? Have read posts in the past where advice was given that a coin wouldn't grade because of rim dings but maybe that was on uncirculated coins?
I never met a coin that wouldn't fit in my collection.....

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    "Altered surfaces" is a large catch-all for coins that don't look right. Among other things, it can mean that something was added to the surfaces or done to cause the coin to look too unnatural, for purposes of assigning a grade. I don't necessarily think of it as a contradiction to a "cleaned' no-grade. In fact, here is what PCGS says about it - note the reference to cleaning:

"Altered Surface - Whizzed, harsh cleaning, thumbed over (using a pasty substance to cover defects or alter the appearance)."

Rim ding no-grades (or grades) are usually a matter of degree. And like other considerations in grading, inconsistent at times.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time when I've gotten an "altered surface" result that I can't understand, I've taken it to mean, "We aren't sure right now; send it in again later." I usually do a very quick dip on them, and the vast majority have eventually gotten into problem-free holders.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Never dipped before...how do you dip? What do you dip with? Is this done for luster? Only on unc coins or circ or both? thanks.
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the time when I've gotten an "altered surface" result that I can't understand, I've taken it to mean, "We aren't sure right now; send it in again later." I usually do a very quick dip on them, and the vast majority have eventually gotten into problem-free holders. >>

Although this fellow has been collecting for a very long time, it's obvious he knows little about dip and we have no idea what his coins look like.

I would advise the OP to post photo's or speak with an authorized PCGS coin dealer in person before he considers anything.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rim ding could have been missed, or its size as you suggested is not as large to require a no grade. The unanswered question is whether or not it was purposely over looked since it was a type 1 specimen.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JamesWJamesW Posts: 105 ✭✭
    CORRECTION - It's not that I know little about dip, I know nothing about dip. I cleaned some coins when I was a youngster, still have them and they are basically ruined. I've never cleaned a coin in my adult life, but based on some of my grades I've definitely bought a few.

Thanks for the replies. Don't mistake my questions as me disagreeing with the results, I just want to understand and learn from it.
    I never met a coin that wouldn't fit in my collection.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file