Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Paypal Experts on Claims

RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
Say I open a claim and Paypal found in my favor. I sent the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation and the USPS shows it was delivered. Then, Paypal refunds my account for the money I paid out to the seller. Now say the seller refuses the package and it is on its way back to me (I assume-never had this happen before).

My question is what happens next? Do I need to send it back to the seller once again? Does Paypal take the money they refunded me and give it back to the seller? Do I refuse the package on my end?

The seller has yet to ever reply to the Paypal claim. All the seller has done was send me taunting emails through eBay's message system. Needless to say, I am keeping all those.

Comments

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If he refuses the package, paypal won't be very helpful to him. You'll have to ask them what to do if it happens. If I were him I wouldn't consider this because the answer may be that you get to keep the coins and the money. --Jerry
  • Options
    Well, the seller actually did refuse the package and according to my delivery confirmation information, it shows the package as refused. So, now I assume the package is on its way back to me, and I also have my money back. So, now what? Do I just tuck it away somewhere in case he decides he wants it back later?

By the way, for those who do not know, by accepting the terms of Paypal and eBay, sellers are obligated to have a 45-day return period. This is what the Paypal rep told me on the phone. I, for one, did not know this. Anyway...

Thanks for the help, Richard.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ebay, gotta love it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    sellers are obligated to have a 45-day return period.

This is a bit much. I think I'll go buy a bunch of bullion and play the market for a month and a half.

eBay has went way to far in favor of the buyer and the heck with the seller,,,,,, who BTW pays all the bills image

Coinshunterimage
    Looking For Varieties
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I did not wait 45 days. I waited some hours and that was about it.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>sellers are obligated to have a 45-day return period. >>

There is no such requirement for sellers on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the seller actually did refuse the package and according to my delivery confirmation information, it shows the package as refused. So, now I assume the package is on its way back to me, and I also have my money back. So, now what? Do I just tuck it away somewhere in case he decides he wants it back later? By the way, for those who do not know, by accepting the terms of Paypal and eBay, sellers are obligated to have a 45-day return period. This is what the Paypal rep told me on the phone. I, for one, did not know this. Anyway... Thanks for the help, Richard. >>

I would call my paypal rep and ask what now. If given no other direction I would keep the coin a few months and then if I heard nothing consider it closed. BTW, most credit card companies when they do a chargeback do not require the goods to be returned so sellers should be thankful that paypal does. --jerry
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would accept the returned item on your end, and hold on to it until the seller realizes that he has neither the item or payment for it. When he requests you return it to him, do so, but only if he sends you money for shipping.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would accept the returned item on your end, and hold on to it until the seller realizes that he has neither the item or payment for it. When he requests you return it to him, do so, but only if he sends you money for shipping. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would accept the returned item on your end, and hold on to it until the seller realizes that he has neither the item or payment for it. When he requests you return it to him, do so, but only if he sends you money for shipping. >>

image >>

I could not agree more.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Exactly.

That's what happened to me back in 2004. I still have his unopened package, sitting in my desk drawer. Oh well, guess it's mine now image

Hey! This could be the same idiot. Does he live in Kentucky?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    what is the value of this thing?

eBay/PAYPAL have really tilted to the buyer side

a couple days ago, I filed a NPB on a sale 3 weeks ago after 2 weeks of no contact

the buyer eBay messaged back asking if I would be willing to cancel transaction?

what could I do? I just wanted my eBay fees back - and not get a negative from the buyer because they changed their mind

at least they did not do all the sending / return stuff
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    So if I state returns accepted for up to 7 days it is really 45 days?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think it is 45 days if paid via PAYPAL

and buyer claims - not significantly as described

then PAYPAL will ding you
  • Options

<< <i>So if I state returns accepted for up to 7 days it is really 45 days? >>

That is a correct statement. I never knew that either. I always offer a 7-day return, but I guess it really does not matter. I don't think I'd state from now on that you have a 45-day return, but after 9 years of selling on eBay, I have only ever had one person return something they did not like. I offer very fair and correct descriptions with good pictures.
  • Options

<< <i>what is the value of this thing?
    eBay/PAYPAL have really tilted to the buyer side
    a couple days ago, I filed a NPB on a sale 3 weeks ago after 2 weeks of no contact
    the buyer eBay messaged back asking if I would be willing to cancel transaction?
    what could I do? I just wanted my eBay fees back - and not get a negative from the buyer because they changed their mind
    at least they did not do all the sending / return stuff >>

I agree, that eBay really has tilted towards the buyer, but in my particular case, there is no question that the item was not as described and the seller just cannot admit she messed up. The value of this 'thing' is only $25.00. Again, as I mentioned in a previous thread, $25.00 does not do a thing for me, but it turned into more of a principle when she started being an moose's behind.
  • Options
    Sorry about your ebay troubles, you never know when you will run into trouble on ebay, but sooner or later it will occur. What was the name of the seller so I can block her? This 45 day return window is news to me, it sounds like one more problem to deal with, so does that mean I need to maintain all shipping infomation such as tracking numbers for at least 45 days?
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry about your ebay troubles, you never know when you will run into trouble on ebay, but sooner or later it will occur. What was the name of the seller so I can block her? This 45 day return window is news to me, it sounds like one more problem to deal with, so does that mean I need to maintain all shipping infomation such as tracking numbers for at least 45 days? >>

Forget the 45 days if they use a credit card!!!!

I would maintain all shipping information for at least 1 to 2 years, because even if they use paypal it could be a credit card and I have heard stories of 8 to 12 months later disputes being filed and if you don't have proof of delivery, well you guessed it you are out of luck and money. JMHO
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> think it is 45 days if paid via PAYPAL and buyer claims - not significantly as described then PAYPAL will ding you >>

If they find in favor of the buyer. I know, I know that is probably 95% of the time but

if one knows the system it can be fought and won. Problem is they wear you down.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    So when does sell - buy become final? Upon feed back left by both party's?

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry about your ebay troubles, you never know when you will run into trouble on ebay, but sooner or later it will occur. What was the name of the seller so I can block her? This 45 day return window is news to me, it sounds like one more problem to deal with, so does that mean I need to maintain all shipping infomation such as tracking numbers for at least 45 days? >>

Forget the 45 days if they use a credit card!!!!

I would maintain all shipping information for at least 1 to 2 years, because even if they use paypal it could be a credit card and I have heard stories of 8 to 12 months later disputes being filed and if you don't have proof of delivery, well you guessed it you are out of luck and money. JMHO >>

IF you use paypal shipping then the info is right in paypal. I had a credit card chargeback months later. Paypal covered it but they got their money back. --Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file