Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Secure Plus Laser ??

This might be a dumb question but when they take a laser image, this is a photograph only and in no way they ever touch or mark the coin ?? because with some collectables, i think they do code on the surface of the item .

Comments

• Options
    It is a lot more complicated than that. They are making a digital terrain model of the surface with the laser.

Read this and if you have any more questions PM me and I will try to explain them.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    They are not etching into the surface of the coin, if that's your fear. They are only scanning it with light.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    A laser is just a special light beam. In extreme high intensity it can be used to melt or cut items but at low intensity, it does nothing that shining a flashlight on a coin wouldn't do.

It is not a photograph. I haven't seen the box that does it but I would expect that the laser rapidly moves back and forth over the entire object while an array of detectors analyze scattered light to create a digital fingerprint.

They now have laser scanners that can be brought into a room, turned on and they will scan then entire room and create a digital 3d map of the room with very accurate dimensions.

--Jerry
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    These are not focused lasers in the point of for example a CNC Laser for cutting steel. These would probably be closer to the scanners used at grocery stores for scanning bar codes.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file