Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Million Dollar giveaway - any advice?/

So far, I haven't had a single trade offer accepted, so I'm wondering what sort of deals others are making. In general, everything I'm offering/asking for are commons, and I'm usually offering either a slightly older card (with 1-2 years) for a card I need, or 2-3 slightly newer cards for one common. Not sure why those are netting me zero deals. Is everyone either done trading or holding out for 52's?
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    One of the things that I've started to do and has worked as of late is to pay attention to the cards I am being offered for one of mine. Sometimes it's a fair deal but I don't need the card they are offering. However if it's a card I do want, but I don't want to part with the card they are asking for....I'll put up a counter offer then decline their deal.

Asan example... someone offered me a 1978 Bill Bonham / Cincinnati Reds for a card I wanted to keep; and they offered me a 1979 of the same player... I immediately came back with an offer for both cards with cards that I had duplicates of that I wanted to trade... both offers were accepted...

Someone else offered me a 1959 Tom Acker / Cincinnati Redlegs for another 1959 that I wanted to keep ( I am trying to build my 1959's) so I immediately put up a 1961 of equal value... figuring if the persn was willing to trade for one of my 59's they may want to trade for an equal value 61.

This seems to have gotten me the most trades as of late, besides doing a few with members here...
    Good Luck!
    Ken
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I offered 24 cards (20 pre 82 and 4 from the 90's) for 1 1965 Dick Radatz and did not get it.

I offer multiples for any card I want. I just think a lot of people, other than superfan, are not doing the trading
  • Options
    Depends on what you are looking for. IF say it's just a '50's common and you don't care which one, pick a year and start sifting through each page of available cards until you find a few you would want. Check to see how many are in the quantity. There may be a card that has three or four available--not going to get as much exposure as one with 15 or 16 available. Then offer multiple cards within the same value. Eventually one will get accepted.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Depends on what you are looking for. IF say it's just a '50's common and you don't care which one, pick a year and start sifting through each page of available cards until you find a few you would want. Check to see how many are in the quantity. There may be a card that has three or four available--not going to get as much exposure as one with 15 or 16 available. Then offer multiple cards within the same value. Eventually one will get accepted. >>

... and that's exactly what I've done to no avail.... Guess I'm just stuck.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    OK, try this question-- some well-meaning guy has sent me three single-card offers for the same one of mine. Assuming he intended to offer all three, how on Earth could I make that happen? To my knowledge, there isn't any way to request multiple cards in one deal.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I've made two trades. One I accepted, and honestly can't recall what it was. The other, I offered, which was 8-10 cards I think (mix of 70's commons, 85 commons & some newer stuff) for a 1956 Warren Hacker... someone accepted it!

I probably get 10+ offers a day for my 1985 Kirby Puckett and my 1970 Lou Brock. It's honestly amazing to me the junk I get offered for these two cards, and it's not like they're really even all that... sorry, but I don't want your 1988 A's checklist for my Kirby Puckett rookie, or your 1987 Ozzie Smith, or your 2 commons from 2002, etc... It's darn near ridiculous!

I go by two rules when i'm reviewing trade offers I can accept. If you want one of my "value" cards... I accept a single "value" card in return. If you want one of my vintage cards... I want a Cubs or Cardinals from the same year, or pretty much anything older.

The last one seems to be a common line of thought though, or at least I assume. I get a lot of trade offers for my 50's & 60's commons... but I'm always being offered a card one year newer for them... not the one year older I'm holding out for image
  • Options

<< <i>OK, try this question-- some well-meaning guy has sent me three single-card offers for the same one of mine. Assuming he intended to offer all three, how on Earth could I make that happen? To my knowledge, there isn't any way to request multiple cards in one deal. >>

I don't think they meant to offer you 3 cards for the one... I could be wrong, but IMO what I've seen people do is offer 4 or 5 different cards for 1 of mine hoping that one of the deals sticks... (is a card I'm looking for/want) ....if one of them is a card I want but don't want to gove up the card they are asking for, I'll post a trade asking for the card I want with a card I'm willing to part with...
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I just had my 50th trade offer accepted....
    I do not remember how many I have accepted, the site does not record that either...

DR
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    My offers that get accepted are usually 1 for 1's. Star for star, or common for common,usually from the same year. 2005 Joe Mauer for 2005 Ken Griffey, 89 Ryan for 89 Ripken,etc.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I have made 127 trades and went from 330 unique cards down to 5 and now back up to 21!
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    8 days later now at 144 trades I have initiated
    I do not know how many I have accepted

DR
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug