Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would you do?

I have been trying to get every Mantle card from his playing years. I am now down to only needing the 52 topps (no surprise there), 53 Topps and 53 Bowman. Do you think it is worth the $3,000 that PSA 1- 52 Topps usually go for. these cards look like they have gone through bike spokes or even the laundry. I want one but can't spend $$5-7,000 for a PSA 2. (wife will have a heart attack) I can justify a $3,000 spending spree especially if i go to the Wilmington, MA show in November and buy one from Levy. Just trying to get some thoughts on if that is a good deal or a waste to spend that amount of money on a poor condition card.
Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I think the 52 Mantle's are pricey, especially when compared to the 51 Bowman, his TRUE RC. I haven't looked at the POP reports lately, but i'm sure there aren't so many more 51 bowman's that the price should be that far apart. I know his 52 topps is an iconic card and symbolic for many reasons, but I just can't justify that price disparity.

I know that doesn't answer your question 72sky, but just thought I'd share my humble opinion...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your Mantle run!!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Don't buy one from Levi! You will overpay as with 99% of anything you buy from him. Just watch ebay closely. Be selective with who you deal with and you will get a fair price especially in this economy and when the economy does finally rebound your card will be worth what you would have paid Levi. JMO
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Spend $3000 first on a PSA 7 1953 Mantle. You won't regret it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't buy one from Levi! You will overpay as with 99% of anything you buy from him. Just watch ebay closely. Be selective with who you deal with and you will get a fair price especially in this economy and when the economy does finally rebound your card will be worth what you would have paid Levi. JMO >>

Wise advice.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. i have been watching ebay. Everytime I start to get close to being in the right balpark a 33 Goudey Ruth or Gehrig, 39 Playball Dimaggio, or 51 Bowman Mantle comes up and wipes me out. That is an interesting note about 707. I will continue to monitor ebay as well. If i come across a seller I am not familiar with i will ask the board what they think.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars