Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do buyers think padded mailers grow on trees?

I think a lot of eBay buyers discount the fact that padded mailers run anywhere from $0.50 to $1.25 when they leave feedback for cost of shipping. It's only an issue on lower priced cards. Do you guys find this to be true?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• I agree. But there is a handling fee you can add, no? Not sure how it works as I haven't used it myself.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    never had a complaint about the use of a padded mailer, although i've never bought one......i recycle everyone else's padded mailer. image
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    They actually do grow on trees. They are made of paper right?
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>never had a complaint about the use of a padded mailer, although i've never bought one......i recycle everyone else's padded mailer. image >>

yup, recycling's the way to go. image
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>never had a complaint about the use of a padded mailer, although i've never bought one......i recycle everyone else's padded mailer. image >>

yup, recycling's the way to go. image >>

As long as you pull all the old address labels. Don't be giving your buyer someone else's info.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • But the point is valid, especially if you're like me and don't receive a lot of padded mailers in the first place. I try to pick them up cheap at the dollar store. But they're still .25 - .50. (for small ones). But when I list a price, I simply add the price of the mailer to the price of the item. So if I was going to list it for $.99 it becomes. $1.24.
    It usually works for me.
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

yup, recycling's the way to go. image >>

I do this when I have the supply, otherwise I pay 3/$1... i charge exact stamp cost for shipping...
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

me too.

I cut the old mailers to fit the card and slide that into a small manila envelope. Saves money and in return I am able to put the savings into other shipping upgrades like printing labels, delivery confirmation/fragile stickers, et cetera. Using the shipping labels through paypal saves me in the handling time as I don't have to go to the post office, and delivery confirmation is about 2/3 less expensive and automatic.

I'm not saying this about you, but a seller should use their head and get the shipping costs down as much as possible. As a buyer I expect the seller to ship the item the most economical and safe way and pass those savings along to me. I don't have an issue paying more than it cost for the supplies, the shipping and a handle handle time, I just ask that seller put an effort into driving their cost and time down.

Patrick >>

ahh your one of those. the two pounds of tape so that the make shift bubble mailer holds. so, i assume that you only charge someone for the exact postage then?

i dont mind paying more either, except when i get a 1/4 recycled bubble mailer with all kinds of tape that is suppose to prevent liquids from entering the "mailer".
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I think a lot of eBay buyers discount the fact that padded mailers run anywhere from $0.50 to $1.25 when they leave feedback for cost of shipping. It's only an issue on lower priced cards. Do you guys find this to be true? >>

That's possible. Although I'm nearly 100% positive that a lot of sellers discount the fact that you can buy bubble mailers in bulk on Ebay for about $.10 each dlvd.

<< <i>

me too.

I cut the old mailers to fit the card and slide that into a small manila envelope. Saves money and in return I am able to put the savings into other shipping upgrades like printing labels, delivery confirmation/fragile stickers, et cetera. Using the shipping labels through paypal saves me in the handling time as I don't have to go to the post office, and delivery confirmation is about 2/3 less expensive and automatic.

I'm not saying this about you, but a seller should use their head and get the shipping costs down as much as possible. As a buyer I expect the seller to ship the item the most economical and safe way and pass those savings along to me. I don't have an issue paying more than it cost for the supplies, the shipping and a handle handle time, I just ask that seller put an effort into driving their cost and time down.

Patrick >>

LOL, I appreciate what you're doing, but OMG do I hate getting packages that look like a Gordian knot when it comes to rescuing the card. Not saying that's how you pack, but I'm astounded sometimes at the amount of effort some folks put into securing a card just to avoid the time-honored "rigid sleeve taped shut and in a padded mailer" method.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>.....the two pounds of tape..... >>

i admit it. i am a serial tapist.

sometimes a bit too extreme, but you can't beat excellent protection and i've never had a single complaint about a damaged card.....the flip side of this would be the shock i experience quite regularly when i receive a card in Card Saver I or some kind of semi-rigid holder, but with no other protection around it......i'm a condition freak, don't they know? image
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

ahh your one of those. the two pounds of tape so that the make shift bubble mailer holds. so, i assume that you only charge someone for the exact postage then?

i dont mind paying more either, except when i get a 1/4 recycled bubble mailer with all kinds of tape that is suppose to prevent liquids from entering the "mailer". >>

Not at all, I use very little tape and have a slight case of OCD. I would like to think I ship my items very safe and secure and look professional. Expensive cards, on the other hand, go into different shipping methods.

Cards go into a plastic sleeve (actually a fish bag from my father's pet shop) which were free as the supplier sent us the wrong size and let us keep the case of 10000 for their error. These bags are great for shipping cards. The card(s) go into the plastic bag, then the cut-out recycled bubble mailer, then into the manila envelope.

As far as charging for exact postage, I keep it darn close to what the buyer pays, and it it is ever grossly off for any reason I send some money back via paypal as a partial refund. I have the graded card shipping rate pretty much down, but I'm sort of experimenting with raw cards shipping prices (not used to selling raw). Keep in mind most of my items ship to Canada which requires a lot of extra time in preparation.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    They are much cheaper on-line in quantity of 100 or so. esupply or esupplystore or something like that. I think they are 15 or 20 cents. Of course I stopped selling cards and still have a ton of padded envelopes....
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    just spend $10 to 20 and you'll have a life time supply and never have to worry about running to the store to buy 1 or 2.

<< <i>

<< <i>.....the two pounds of tape..... >>

i admit it. i am a serial tapist.

sometimes a bit too extreme, but you can't beat excellent protection and i've never had a single complaint about a damaged card.....the flip side of this would be the shock i experience quite regularly when i receive a card in Card Saver I or some kind of semi-rigid holder, but with no other protection around it......i'm a condition freak, don't they know? image >>

I'm thinking 'excellent protection' is great idea for a serial tapist.

Just sayin'......
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Padded mail and label I can ship product out for 0.16c a piece + actual shipping costs... Use paypal to ship, get DC....
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think a lot of eBay buyers discount the fact that padded mailers run anywhere from $0.50 to $1.25 when they leave feedback for cost of shipping. It's only an issue on lower priced cards. Do you guys find this to be true? >>

That's possible. Although I'm nearly 100% positive that a lot of sellers discount the fact that you can buy bubble mailers in bulk on Ebay for about $.10 each dlvd. >>

Agreed!! Last batch I bought was around 9 cents a piece delivered for the smallest size.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I think the last box of padded mailers I got was 250 mailers for $26 including shipping.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I love these mailers. Sturdy and economical.

Royal

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    I don't sweat the small stuff like this anymore. The last couple months I bought a lot of 2008-2010 Topps Heritage Phillies cards and was charged anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 for shipping.
    In most cases the cost for postage came to around $1.00 or so. In the old days that would bother me. Now I am happy to get the cards and the overall service and price I find as acceptable.
    If I had a problem with the final auction price it should be before I bid or win an item.

I've been on the other side and it sure does seem that some ebayers get upset if you charge a buck or two over actual postage cost.

Life's to short for this much whine.

aconte
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    If paying an extra $1.00 for shipping on a card is an issue, then you probably cannot afford to be buying cards in the first place. Unfortunately, until ebay enacts an intelligence test to weed out questionable buyers, there will always be complaints on shipping, even when the shipping amount was known BEFORE bidding
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

<< <i>If paying an extra $1.00 for shipping on a card is an issue, then you probably cannot afford to be buying cards in the first place. Unfortunately, until ebay enacts an intelligence test to weed out questionable buyers, there will always be complaints on shipping, even when the shipping amount was known BEFORE bidding >>

Still does not make over charging for shipping right... ebay needs standards for what shippers can charge - they have rules for everything else!
  • I buy and sell on ebay and like to be charged a fair amount for shipping. I find that anything less than $3 on a single card is fine (I charge $2.50). As a collector I got real tired of all the crappy stuff I recieved cards in so when I started selling I decided I wanted to make sure I did everything i could to make sure my buyers get their cards in the shape I send them. I have gotten many thank yours for happy buyers because of this.

I understand for the part time seller this might be a bit much upfront cost but I started with smaller quantity and just paid a bit more.

When I send out a card I include

.09 Bubble Mailer 6 x 9 (Purchased on ebay 500 for $42)
    .06 Half page label (2 Page Lables on ebay for 100 sheets of 200 labels for $12)
    .28 2 Cardboard slabs (I have these custom made for reg and tallboy slabs for 200 for $30)
    .02 Gum tape and reg tape (I gum tape the ends of package for protection, purchased in bulk, need gum tape I have extra? haha)

.45 my cost of materials

Most ungraded card run 3oz and thats $1.75 first class with DC
    I charge $2.50 so bottom line I come out $.30 ahead and I break even on 4 oz which is a single reg sized graded card.

.19 Bubble Bag (I only use these on $20 and up card to give them an extra layer of protection)

<< <i>I buy and sell on ebay and like to be charged a fair amount for shipping. I find that anything less than $3 on a single card is fine (I charge $2.50). As a collector I got real tired of all the crappy stuff I recieved cards in so when I started selling I decided I wanted to make sure I did everything i could to make sure my buyers get their cards in the shape I send them. I have gotten many thank yours for happy buyers because of this.

I understand for the part time seller this might be a bit much upfront cost but I started with smaller quantity and just paid a bit more.

When I send out a card I include

.09 Bubble Mailer 6 x 9 (Purchased on ebay 500 for $42)
    .06 Half page label (2 Page Lables on ebay for 100 sheets of 200 labels for $12)
    .28 2 Cardboard slabs (I have these custom made for reg and tallboy slabs for 200 for $30)
    .02 Gum tape and reg tape (I gum tape the ends of package for protection, purchased in bulk, need gum tape I have extra? haha)

.45 my cost of materials

Most ungraded card run 3oz and thats $1.75 first class with DC
    I charge $2.50 so bottom line I come out $.30 ahead and I break even on 4 oz which is a single reg sized graded card.

.19 Bubble Bag (I only use these on $20 and up card to give them an extra layer of protection) >>

Good for you... I feel the same way - if everyone just charged what they'd like to be charged if they were the buyer no one would complain... just be fair about shipping and don't try to make up the ebay/paypl fees in shipping.
  • 2 questions...

To send 1 to 3 cards sandwiched between sturdy boards to someone, what size bubble mailer do you use?

Also, how do you send 50 common cards to someone? How do you packet it? You can't pack it between two boards or in a small bubble mailer, so I was just wondering how do you keep all 50 cards sturdy, without moving around and keeping the corners safe? Do I put it in soft sleeves and put it in a small box? and then bubble wrap that box? Any advice?
    Thanks for your help everyone.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't sweat the small stuff like this anymore. The last couple months I bought a lot of 2008-2010 Topps Heritage Phillies cards and was charged anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 for shipping.
    In most cases the cost for postage came to around $1.00 or so. In the old days that would bother me. Now I am happy to get the cards and the overall service and price I find as acceptable.
    If I had a problem with the final auction price it should be before I bid or win an item.

I've been on the other side and it sure does seem that some ebayers get upset if you charge a buck or two over actual postage cost.

Life's to short for this much whine.

aconte >>

That's pretty much my opinion, as well. And I write that as a ten year eBayer who has never sold a single item, of any kind, to anybody.

If you're that touchy and petty, you need to log off, go outside and smell some flowers.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I buy a box of a couple hundred bubble mailers with extra funds in the PayPal account from time to time. By the time I run out, they don't even feel like an expense.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I've been using this company for a few years and have been very pleased. I've got cases of these things stacked in my basement. I keep all envelopes that are shipped to me and reuse them for shipping also.

Rodney

Padded Envelopes
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Chris

I jam 10 cards into a top loader, so in your example I'd use 5 top loaders and then I'd use about 20 feet of tape.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Chris

I jam 10 cards into a top loader, so in your example I'd use 5 top loaders and then I'd use about 20 feet of tape.

Steve >>

Good one Steve!

<< <i>Chris

Steve >>

I think I've bought from you before. image
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

In all seriousness, it would depend on the cards Chris. If they were minty I'd give each one a

flip like we use to send cards in to PSA with and I'd make 5 stacks. Each stack would then have cardboard

on the front and back and I'd tape them and uplift the tape so the buyer could easily remove it.

I'd then place my 5 stacks around bubble wrap and into a small priority box they go.

If they are simply VG/EX commons I'd take less care but enough care that they would arrive safely.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i> I think I've bought from you before. >>

That was you? image

Steve
    Good for you.
  • On lots for high grade groups of 5+ cards I have then each in a card saver then in between cardboard slabs, in a bubble bag then inside a bubble mailer. On low grade lot I use paper and wrap them together then put between cardboard slabs in a bubble bag inside a bubble mailer. I have never had an issue with them having any damage, only thing is make sure you base your shipping cost on each lot as sending 25+ single cards in card savers can start getting heavy and get you out of first class shipping rates.
  • For any Canadians out there ULINE has great packing supplies. While I don't buy bubbles mailers from them, I have bought boxes and rigid cardboard mailers.
    Fast and reasonable delivery. (I don't work there).
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • buymycardsbuymycards Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Uline is great. 250 bags for $41 shipped and UPS brings them in two days.

For 50 to 150 card lots, I put 25 cards in a graded card sleeve with a top load on the front and the back. Seal it with tape so it doesn't come open. You can put 6 of these bundles in a padded bag. For 1-10 cards I use a smaller padded bag. I put the cards in team bag with a top load in the front and the back. I've shipped out a couple of hundred of these in the past month and haven't had any trouble.

Rick
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

Yes many ppl could care less about it too!

You have a valid point and that is the exact reason when I sell I usually go Here or the cheapest place I can for mailers. I also configure it into the shipping charges as well. I try to make it as cheap as possible for the buyer.

• << <i>For any Canadians out there ULINE has great packing supplies. While I don't buy bubbles mailers from them, I have bought boxes and rigid cardboard mailers.
    Fast and reasonable delivery. (I don't work there). >>

Uline has a lot of supplies, but they seem pricey.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if I'm paying $3 for a card to be shipped I expect a new padded mailer to be used. The integrity of the bubble mailer is often compromised once it has been used.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    If the bubbles have popped, I would agree that the structural integrity has been compromised. If they haven't, I see no problem with using the mailer again.
  • I've been out of padded mailers for a while now! I had a 500 count case but went through all of them.... need to buy more, but those things cost a pretty penny image