Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will extra paper in back affect grades? (Photos inside)

The corner is sharp, but there's a tiny bit of extra white paper in the back of the card protruding out, will that affect the grade?

What it looks like from the back of the card.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    The corner is sharp, but there's a tiny bit of extra white paper in the back of the card protruding out, will that affect the grade?

What it looks like from the back of the card. >>

only wear on the corners matters.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    My Jordan rookie has the exact same corner. I am curious to see what people would think of the grade.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    take it off
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>take it off >>

sure hope the exacto knife doesn't slip. LOL
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I once pulled a pack fresh 83T Gwynn with the same issue, but a lot more paper. I safely snipped off some of it, but I didn't want to cut it too close and it ended up looking just like your photo. It graded 9.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    mitre saw would work well....
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>mitre saw would work well.... >>

LOL, those are great for making sure you get a smooth, even diagonal cut on the corner.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>take it off >>

Would that be considered trimming or altering the card?
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I don't know if you could find it but I remembering reading an article on the Beckett site about a year ago. Maybe a little more. It was about a Jordan that got upgraded from a 9.5 to a Pristine 10. They claimed that there was a fiber hanging from the card that prevented it from being a 10. Then they took it out of the holder and it fell off. So they decided to make it a 10. Anyway, that's their story and it's a different grading company. I'd probably be hesitant to cut it off but everyone's different. It may make a small difference but the centering looks good.