Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1996-97 Select Mirror Gold hockey - how many are there really?

Is it safe to assume that there are a lot more than 30 each of the Mirror Golds from the 96/97 Select hockey set? It seems like there is an endless supply of these coming out of a couple big dealers on Ebay. Obviously, there have been some lots of them that did not come out of packs I would guess.

When they first came out, I chose a player to see how many golds I could get - I chose Michael Pivonka of my beloved Caps. I have 38 of them now. I haven't checked Ebay for these in a long time, but I noticed that 5 or 6 sold in the last month, and three more are listed now - all for the same seller.

Does anyone have any idea how many of these may really be out there? I've got to believe it's more like a couple hundred of each, instead of only 30. Too bad they weren't numbered...

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Several sets were backdoored, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 500 or more sets. Pivonka was a good choice and probably who I would've gone with. Either him or Bondra.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised at 500 or more being out there for each player. I chose Pivonka, because I figured he had to be one of the most commons of commons in that set.
  • Options
    That's really deflating for those that spent good money on those cards back in the 90's.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't the speculated print run around 30 each for the Mirror Gold? What really screws it up is that they were not serial numbered and a TON of Pinnacle product hit the shows after the company went bankrupt. If the 30 was an accurate number, I would expect the total number to be less than 100 assuming that Pinnacle printed extra for quality control and customer replacement purposes.
    Mike
  • Options
    It was supposed to be only 30 of each mirror gold, but I think when the company went under all the extra stock just went out the back door. You wouldn't thinkt hat they made THAT MANY more, but it sure seems like it. I know that I paid anywhere from $1 to $75 for these as I went along - luckily more on the lower end.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You can see on ebay that there are a ton of hockey out there compared to baseball and football, and prices reflect that.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i knew who the seller was going to be before I looked....
  • Options
    Exactly - there are only a couple of dealers selling big quantities of these. it is funny how this seems to have only happened in hockey. Like CDnuts said, the other sports still seems to sell well.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Didnt it happen in 1997 also with the Mirror Gold Football? I thought there was way more of those also then what was supposed to me
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Even baseball is produced in mass quantity, though I don't think more than 100 copies of the golds exist. I picked up a Big Frank for less than $20 recently.

In contrast, the '96 Mirror Gold Thomas would cost me several hundred.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com