Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another Goudey Ruth #144 -- Ligit?

The seller of the PSA 5 i asked about last week ended the auction early to sell the card to his "cousin," even after I made him a fairly generous offer. Such a pain in the but!!

Anyway, there is another psa 5 on ebay now, Ruth PSA 5 .

Please let me know what you think and if you think this card is ligit. I e-mailed the seller asking for more pictures and this is his response, "it is a great card. thats the best scan we can do. thanks."

Thank you!!
I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!

Comments

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me and from a good seller as well...
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    i do not like his comment that it is a great card and that is the best scan they can do. For that amount of money he better be prepared to scan as many anlges as you want. I recently was looking as a PSA 2 Goudey ruth #144. I asked for a scan of the back of the card and the seller asked "If I take the time to scan the back of the card for you are you going to buy the card." I felt like I was putting him out to do more work when he was going to make $1,200 from me. i did not buy the card and decided to wait for another one to come up. There are always other cards as good or better out there.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Thanks. Good point 72skywalker. Here's what I wrote back:

"Thanks for your quick reply. If you look at my feedback, you will see I am a serious high-end card collector. I am prepared to bid high for this card, but do not feel comfortable doing so unless you can send me some more scans as originally asked. I have had my eye out on a 33 goudey #144 psa 5 for a while, and would love to add yours to my collection. I hope you can accomodate my request. Thank you! DZ"
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Hopefully he'll send you a good scan.

I remember a while back a guy had a blurry pic up of a PSA 8 card, and a clear, zoomed in pic of the PSA label. I asked for a better pic of the card as a whole, and he said "Hi, the card is a PSA 8, and the picture is fine. Thanks." I emailed again, saying that it was difficult to make out any sort of detail on the card. The seller then sent me a link to PSA's grading standards page "See the description for NM-MT 8, as it is a detailed description of this card." Needless to say, I didn't bid.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card looks perfectly fine to me. I've dealt with the seller a few times (on PSA 9/10 1980s/90s cards), and always received excellent service. I've never had to contact them though, during an auction.

That said, if they aren't willing to send you another scan of the card, I'd have to think about whether I really wanted to bid on it or not, wondering what if anything they're trying to hide.

Steve
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    If you look at the top edge of picture area its very obvious it has very bad registration in the yellow color. The other 2 you asked about were much better for the grade.

PS. One key to see if its one of the common reprints is to look at the gap above the hat, on this card there really isnt a gap easily seen because the yellow has shifted down somewhat when they printed it (if you look at the top left corner you will see the blue is OK and the building is OK too and shows how far off the yellow is).

Not common for R319s to have a color that far off, but they are out there. T206 cards have this problem far more often.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point fkw!

That's always the first place I look too on examples of this card. There is definitely a color shift in the yellow. It should be more aligned with the blue on the left and the top of the building on the right.

That, along with the off-centering, and the seller's possible unwillingness to send better scans, would make me seriously consider waiting for another example.

Steve
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I've lost any ability to buy a high-end card without running it by you guys!!

With that being said, what do you think about this bad boy... BAD BOY

Thanks again guys!!