Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Review Help! Could these bump? UPDATED w/ POPPAGE. WITH SCAN 7-15-10

I'm about to send in some long overdue review subs and wanted to get some 'expert' opinions before I do... Any criticism, help, or comments would be much appreciated.

Collecting: Mays-Banks-Aaron

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Odds are not good. First the 59 was graded after the .5 system was in place. Also corners look a bit soft. The 67 pop report shows only 1 got the bump out of 393 graded. Some were graded before the .5 system but that is some long odds. Finally the 64 has the best chance. Card looks real sharp to me and several 64s have received the bump.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Ralph, How's the new grandbaby?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ralph, How's the new grandbaby? >>

Thanks for asking. He is doing fine. In fact should be home any time now. BTW he is extremely intelligent. I asked him "What is four minus four?" He said nothing.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Your 64 looks very good to me. I dont think the 67 or the 59 have a chance, although both are nice cards. What is PSA charging for reviews these days?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the '64 has a good chance, followed by the '59. I wouldn't bother on the '67. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give the '64 a shot. It's a beauty...image

The other 2 are nice cards, but I'm not so sure they would bump...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Depends on ur graders and maybe who sends them in. I have purchased some of the ugliest 8.5 cards from Ebay sellers. I'd love to have similar grading on my cards. Likewise, I've had token upgrades on some gorgeous large group review submissions. In general, I have been very dissappointed on review submissions.

IMO, Expect to see regular bumps on 8.5 card prices. Why? Marketing ploy for more submissions.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to only send the '64 out of the group I posted here. It mailed 04/01/10 under the 'Set Registry Special' so I should have some results in a week or so. I have compared the '64 to all my 8.5's and it actually grades out better than a few of them. IDK. Have any of you ever submitted a review and come up totally short? Luckily I have had some previous success so here's hoping my '64 Hammer get's his due....

• Options
    After a long wait... the results are in. NEGATIVE. According to the informative/annoying stickers, this card was not worthy of the .5 because of the top left corner and the black spot above the E in BRAVES...

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope to post more in this thread soon so any more opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated...

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Quikjam,
    Your results are spot on in my experience. Corners then print are the 2 most important factors in reviews to the 8.5 level. You have to have 9ish corners or don't bother in my experience.

Did it really take more than a month for PSA to grade the card or did you just send it in?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a spectacular Hank.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mickey71,

Thanks for the reply. Like you, I am in complete agreement with the results. When you factor in the centering it was a bit of a 'reach' but worth the $14 to try.

"Did it really take more than a month for PSA to grade the card or did you just send it in?" - Yes. They were backed up I was told, but it shipped to PSA 4/2 and I got it back 5/1/10. Upgrading my scanner added a week or so to me updating this post.

quikjam

• Options
    Quikjam,
    That Aaron is still a heck of a card and was worth the try. I probably worded my reply wrong when I said your results were spot on. What I meant was that they were consistant to what I've experienced. I actually thought your Aaron had a decent chance. That is the type of card that you want reviewed. Don't be discouraged. Good luck with your future subs. PSA taking more than a month to review 1 card on the 5 day special is not cool and actually should have been free since it was not even bumped.

Mickey71
  • Options
    When I got home I viewed the black spot above the E in BRAVES. I'm surprised they didn't downgrade the card to a 3.=====Just kidding. I don't see a spot unless we're talking about the most tiny spot known to man. What I viewed would not effect a 10.image
  • Options
    This card (1958 MAYS PSA 8) has been consigned to an auctioneer.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The l&r edges have a slight tilt, I wouldn't try it.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The l&r edges have a slight tilt, I wouldn't try it. >>

I agree...Although on any given day anything could happen, but chances are slim...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    64 AAron is a beauty actually they all are.I would say the 64 could be bumped.

the 58 Mays is what it is but still a beauty.I have a 7 with old grading that I may resubmit in the future.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Well, well, well... I'm filled with JOY at the moment because the 64 Aaron that is the subject of this post has been assigned a NEW GRADE. After much deliberation, I simply cracked it out and submitted it RAW. Check out line 15 below. MINT 9. This was a great submission for me. I slabbed a few cards for my 69 and 85 sets and the 61 and 64 leaders’ cards were crack outs from 7 holders. In addition, I split it with a good friend of mine (LINE #'s 1-13) on the June Set Registry special. Many positives. For starters I only shipped the cards on Friday June 25th and it was logged on June 30th. Grades popped today July 6th and already show as SHIPPED. Both MINT 9 Aaron's were considered by each of us to be our best cards in the submission. I hoped for the 8.5 and he hoped for a modest 7. I would say we both won. This being my friend’s first submission, I would say he's hooked.

1 17478680 EXCELLENT 5 1951 TOPPS RED BACK 16 PREACHER ROE Card US
    2 1 17478681 EXCELLENT 5 1953 TOPPS 197 DEL CRANDALL Card US
    3 1 17478682 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1954 TOPPS 181 MEL ROACH Card US
    4 1 17478683 EXCELLENT 5 1954 TOPPS 188 DAVE JOLLY Card US
    5 1 17478684 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1954 TOPPS 176 BOB KEELY Card US
    6 1 17478685 GOOD 2 1954 TOPPS 20 WARREN SPAHN Card US
    7 1 17478686 EXCELLENT 5 1954 TOPPS 141 JOE JAY Card US
    8 1 17478687 NEAR MINT 7 1958 TOPPS 390 DEL CRANDALL Card US
    9 1 17478688 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1959 TOPPS 212 FENCE BUSTERS AARON/MATHEWS Card US
    10 1 17478689 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 TOPPS 120 ED MATHEWS Card US
    11 1 17478690 N8: MISCUT 1964 TOPPS 35 EDDIE MATHEWS Card US
    12 1 17478691 EXCELLENT 5 1972 TOPPS 299 HANK AARON Card US
    13 1 17478692 MINT 9 1973 TOPPS 100 HANK AARON Card US
    14 1 17478693 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 43 NL HOME RUN LEADERS Card US
    15 1 17478694 MINT 9 1964 TOPPS 300 HANK AARON Card US
    16 1 17478695 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 9 NL HOME RUN LEADERS Card US
    17 1 17478696 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1989 UPPER DECK 1 KEN GRIFFEY JR. STAR ROOKIE Card US
    18 1 17478697 MINT 9 1979 TOPPS 22 LARRY CSONKA Card US
    19 1 17478698 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 TOPPS 9 SUPER BOWL XIX 49ERS VS. DOLPHINS Card US
    20 1 17478699 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 TOPPS 9 SUPER BOWL XIX 49ERS VS. DOLPHINS Card US
    21 1 17478700 NEAR MINT 7 1969 TOPPS 253 JIM KEYES Card US
    22 1 17478701 NEAR MINT 7 1969 TOPPS 90 KARL NOONAN Card US
    Total Items: 22
    Date Received: 6/30/2010
    Date Shipped: 7/6/2010
    Order Status: OK

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you sent the 64 Aaron in for review and they would not not bump it above it's original 8, but when cracked and resubmitted it receives a 9. As has been said many times before, PSA's review service is a joke.

My comments in no way imply that your card isn't worthy, is a beauty. Congratulations on a $500+ increase. image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>So you sent the 64 Aaron in for review and they would not not bump it above it's original 8, but when cracked and resubmitted it receives a 9. As has been said many times before, PSA's review service is a joke. >>

I completely agree with you Nick, This post really makes me want to go out and spend my money on a possible review (tongue firmly planted in cheek). Congrats to the OP on the strong crackouts. I said early, thats a nice 64 Aaron.
  • Options
    I guess I'm too pleased right now to notice the obvious questions here but I don't necessarily see this as the norm for review submissions and the grading process in general. It was previously graded before the half point if that matters but it was also reviewed on a single review submission and probably scrutinized to the MAX from in the holder. It does beg the question though; why not a 9 the first two times? To be honest this is the FIRST time I've ever cracked a card out of the holder to resubmit. When I got it out of the holder it looked even better (purchased graded). It only has a very minor print dot by the E in Braves and the centering is within standards. I was in agreement of the review results but also a little harsh on the card too until I cracked it out. It just looked too good not to sub again. In the end, the Hammer got his due in my opinion. It’s been a learning process for sure and also fun when it actually turns in your favor.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'll give you credit. I don't think I would have had the stones to crack out a PSA 8 1964 Aaron. Good for you.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good for you! That '64 is a BEAUTY!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Your experience is typical

On review, I believe graders need a really good reason to override another grader's opinion. That's why they nit-pick tiny flaws on review. So I'm not surprised the spot above the E kept it as an 8.

But sending a card in raw, if you catch a more favorable grader, he is free to exercise his own opinion and that opinion will not be colored by what a previous grader has already determined.

You did the right thing by cracking it. Of course, the risk you run (and this has happened to me), is that once cracked, you find something like hairline scratches that weren't visible under the slab.

Good job. Always great to see Mint Aarons.
  • Options
    Congrats. No surprise. This is a case of the review scenario being being questionable at best. Card desrved a bump the first time.

It is a really nice card.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>Your experience is typical

On review, I believe graders need a really good reason to override another grader's opinion. That's why they nit-pick tiny flaws on review. So I'm not surprised the spot above the E kept it as an 8.

But sending a card in raw, if you catch a more favorable grader, he is free to exercise his own opinion and that opinion will not be colored by what a previous grader has already determined.

You did the right thing by cracking it. Of course, the risk you run (and this has happened to me), is that once cracked, you find something like hairline scratches that weren't visible under the slab.

Good job. Always great to see Mint Aarons. >>

They also might be afraid of cracking out a card and then discovering it's altered. When it's submitted raw, they have an easier view of the edges.
  • Options
    Scan.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    very nice aaron's
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Best scan I can get with my old unit... Scanner upgrade coming soon.

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    YOWZA!!
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Magnificent '64 Aaron!! Congrats on the new grade.
  • Options
    So do you notify PSA of the now-empty holder so that they can reduce the PSA8 count for the card?
    71bucs
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    outstanding card. well done.
  • Options
    That's a sharp Aaron for sure. Corners are SWEET.
  • Options
    So do you notify PSA of the now-empty holder so that they can reduce the PSA8 count for the card?

Yes. I plan to send in all 3 empty holders along with my next submission so they can be removed from the database.

• Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Still a nice scan... what kind of scanner is this scan from?