....and I get this question -

"Are there any creases on the card?"

Shane

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>....and I get this question -

"Are there any creases on the card?" >>

Sounds like he's been burned a time or two.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I have done that many times. Depends on the seller
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I'm listing a set of 74 PSA 9's and a guy asked me if there is any paper loss on the back of any cards.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame Ebay when I hear things like this!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm listing a set of 74 PSA 9's and a guy asked me if there is any paper loss on the back of any cards. >>

Making sure they aren't the uber-rare 9 (PL) ones I guess.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me but if I don't know the seller I always ask about creases, stains, and the back of the card - regardless of what grade the seller states in the title/description.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question..... caveat emptor

Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm listing a set of 74 PSA 9's and a guy asked me if there is any paper loss on the back of any cards. >>

Reply with "Nope, just some wax stains, marks, and wrinkles." image
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Here was my question from a recent auction

Are the front white borders totally clean with no print dots, spots, stray marks, or other blemishes?

Are there any othe print flaws on the player's face, front lettering or background?

Can you send me a larger scan?

1) huge large scan was provided (would fill this screen) on ebay 2) it was a 1952 Bowman Large Bill McColl in a PSA 8.5 for Pete's sake
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Were there any creases? Just because you said it was Nm-Mt doesn't mean that it actually is. If you don't state it in the description I see nothing wrong with someone asking. It is helpful for sellers to list everything that might not be known about the card. ex. any creases, wrinkles, paper loss, EOT,, anything like that.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is only a question. Better to get all of these ironed out before he bids or gets the card and he is not satisfied.
  • Options
    You shouldn't take the comment at face value.

The real meta-message is of buyer uncertainty about you, the seller. He's trying to better glean your trustworthiness, but unsure how to express himself. So he mumbles what seems like a stupid question, but actually isn't.

Reply in a straightforward and honest manner (if you think he's a serious bidder worth answering to.)
  • Options
    Think of his real question as, "Are you trustworthy?"

And the best way to assure him is with an open, honest, straightforward answer.

And and the sub-text of your reply would be: "Sure am trustworthy. Friendly, too. Here's all the info you could want; I have nothing to hide."
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently saw a card described as near mint-mint then read the description which talked about the crease. Apparently there is at least one person out there who believes a creased card can be near mint-mint.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I did reply in an honest, straight forward way, but, boy, I was sure tempted to be a smart alec! image

Shane

• Options
    I don't trust Pujols fans either.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't trust Pujols fans either. >>

Shut up, Bill!

Shane

• Options
    No offsense to you but 90% of the cards I bought that claims to be nrmt to mt has always been overly lenient. Way too many bad sellers out there.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Yeah, I don't blame the guy for asking. Doesn't take too many times getting burned to start asking about what should be obvious.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>

Here was my question from a recent auction

Are the front white borders totally clean with no print dots, spots, stray marks, or other blemishes?

Are there any othe print flaws on the player's face, front lettering or background?

Can you send me a larger scan?

1) huge large scan was provided (would fill this screen) on ebay 2) it was a 1952 Bowman Large Bill McColl in a PSA 8.5 for Pete's sake >>

I bet I know who asked you this. The guy pays strong but is really anal about print dots/spots etc... ...if it's the same guy, he asks me these same questions on $100 cards that are PSA 9's. Maybe he doesn't trust PSA's grading model. Yet he buys PSA cards. Go figure.
  • Options
    I guess I see you guys' point. It's just that I've been a reputable seller of raw cards for years. I have had one or two items that the buyer thought was over graded and I refunded the money. Other than that, I have been accurate and very fair. It just struck me as odd that a card that I said that was NM-MT, had to be asked if it had creases. I was thinking, "Yeah, I believe it would grade PSA 8 even though it is creased right down the middle." Of course, I did respond properly.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I would even describe a raw card as NM/MNT because what are the chances the buyer will agree
    anyway?

It only opens up a possible can of worms.

JMHO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if I would even describe a raw card as NM/MNT because what are the chances the buyer will agree
    anyway?

JMHO

Steve >>

problem is that many buyers automatically subtract a grade or two, so if you downgrade it yourself then look where you end up.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure if I would even describe a raw card as NM/MNT because what are the chances the buyer will agree
    anyway?

JMHO

Steve >>

problem is that many buyers automatically subtract a grade or two, so if you downgrade it yourself then look where you end up. >>

That is exactly why I grade the card as accurately as I can (what I see PSA grading it), with sharp scans with a black background. I have never had any trouble after years of doing this.

Shane