Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can any one identify this oriental coin?

I have searched for hours trying to identify with no success. Looks like China or Japan. Coper or Bronze coin about the size of a U.S. Quarter.

Comments

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    There are thousands of coins that meet that description gramps. We need a picture to let you know what it is. From another gramps, Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, we need a picture. Can you post one? The awesome might of our combined brain power should be enough to id your coin, hopefully. We just have to able to see it.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Try looking over the pages on worldcoingallery.com World Coin Gallery
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coper or Bronze coin about the size of a U.S. Quarter. >>

I assume it doesn't have a large square hole in the middle of it, and that it doesn't have any English on it at all. If I'm wrong in either of these assumptions, let us know.

Given these assumptions, there actually aren't too many coins from that part of the world that fit that description. I can think of a few options that can help narrow down the options.

Does it have a large "10" on one side and an "oriental building" on the other? That would be a Japanese 10 yen. Like this.

Does it have a twelve-pointed sun on one side and a strange spade-like object on the other? that would be an old pre-war Republic of China cent. Or maybe a half-cent with the same design, like this.

Two crossed flags, or a dragon, appear on older Chinese 1 cent coins. The Dragon also appears on some older Japanese and Korean coins.

The Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo issued 1 fen coins; they have a single flag flying on one side, like this

If it has a portrait of a Chinese fellow, it's probably from Taiwan, either an old 10 cents (with a map of Taiwan on the other side) or a newer 1 dollar.

Edit: the China cent has a 12-pointed sun, not eight. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, Sapyx.