Home Sports Talk
Options

Study: Yankees players highest-paid in world sport

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Study: Yankees players highest-paid in world sport
Mar 28, 9:24 am EDT

LONDON (AP)—A British study says the New York Yankees are the world’s highest-paid players in a team sport, beating out members of Spain’s Real Madrid soccer team.

The “Review of Global Sports Salaries” published Sunday said that players on Madrid rival Barcelona had the third-highest salaries, followed by Premier League club Chelsea.

The next seven teams were all from the NBA, with the Dallas Mavericks at No. 5 and the Los Angeles Lakers at No. 6.

The report compiled by www.sportingintelligence.com gave figures in British pounds, with Yankees players listed as having an average salary in 2009 of 4.7 million pounds, currently about $7 million. The figure for Madrid was 4.2 million pounds ($6.3 million), and 4.07 million pounds ($6.1 million) for Barcelona.

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    It almost means more when it isn't a Red Sox fan shedding light on this embarassing fact.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The “Review of Global Sports Salaries” published Sunday said that players on Madrid rival Barcelona had the third-highest salaries, followed by Premier League club Chelsea. >>

Wow. I would have assumed Man U had the highest salaries in world soccer.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to sound completely ridiculas coming from the BIGGEST Yankee Hater on the boards here but you know what? The Yankees DESEFVED last years Championship. Yup thats right!

The game of MLB is about putting together the BEST team money can buy, without planning on "Home field discounts" loyalty and all that other crap.

Theo Epstein in my opinion has completely ruined the Red Sox & their chances for putting together a World Series run the past few seasons- and this season. He is stupidly grabbing 5 "nickel type" players via the free agent market instead of a "full quarter" calibre player.

Until you spend as much dough as you can you will not be there come October.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DESEFVED >>

It hurt Perk so much to say it that he even mispelled "deserved".

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Deferved would have worked 250 years ago.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    A kid living in the same building as me was complaining about the Yankees and their payroll a few days ago. I just told him that if his favorite team had the money to spend like the Yankees, don't you think they would? Wouldn't you want them to spend as much money as possible? I mean, I don't like the fact that the Yankees payroll is at least 2 to 3 times larger than most other teams but they're playing by the rules that MLB has given them.....none. Until MLB does something about it (which will likely not happen), the Yankees will continue to spend as much as they can in order to be successful and the majority of the fans of other teams will continue to be jealous over the fact that their team does not have the same resources that they have in the Bronx.
  • Options

<< <i>Deferved would have worked 250 years ago.

Steve >>

I'm still looking for clarification in the study of "British pounds" of what? - 4.7 million pounds of what?
  • Options
    Yea Barry hit the nail on the head. Im STILL too aggrevated to spell it right image
  • Options

Steve >>

How so Steve?

Please explain
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Yea Barry hit the nail on the head. Im STILL too aggrevated to spell it right image >>

Too aggrevated to spell aggravated! Now THAT'S aggravation!
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

How so Steve?

Please explain >>

I think "f" was sometimes used for "s" in the English language back then - then it changed for some reason as languages constantly evolve.

Of course only we the people in the Philadelphia area speak without an accent. image
  • Options
    Speaking of language...which is the proper way of typing it for future reference. Is it "Yankees suck", "the Yankees suck", "all the Yankees suck" or whatever it should be. Thanks for the help.

PS: The Phillies having been beat by the Yankees twice in the WS, especially since my Phils haven't been in the WS all that often, I feel gives me the right to say that. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steve >>

How so Steve?

Please explain >>

I think "f" was sometimes used for "s" in the English language back then - then it changed for some reason as languages constantly evolve.

Of course only we the people in the Philadelphia area speak without an accent. image >>

Now that is why you guys make the big bucks image

I had no idea about that..
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steve >>

How so Steve?

Please explain >>

Of course only we the people in the Philadelphia area speak without an accent. image >>

I had no idea about that.. >>

Actually, they just made the 's' really tall so it resembled an 'f'. The bottom still has the curve of a 's' doesn't it?

And with that, all my handwriting knowledge is out there....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of language...which is the proper way of typing it for future reference. Is it "Yankees suck", "the Yankees suck", "all the Yankees suck" or whatever it should be. Thanks for the help.

PS: The Phillies having been beat by the Yankees twice in the WS, especially since my Phils haven't been in the WS all that often, I feel gives me the right to say that. image >>

I believe the accepted term is "MFYs"
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking of language...which is the proper way of typing it for future reference. Is it "Yankees suck", "the Yankees suck", "all the Yankees suck" or whatever it should be. Thanks for the help.

PS: The Phillies having been beat by the Yankees twice in the WS, especially since my Phils haven't been in the WS all that often, I feel gives me the right to say that. image >>

I believe the accepted term is "MFYs" >>

• Options

I just realized that 250 years ago the above post would have been censored. LOL
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The game of MLB is about putting together the BEST team money can buy >>

I totally disagree. Baseball should be an even playing field. This league has become dominated by big markets. Of course there are exceptions, but the same west coast and east coast teams seem to be in the hunt every year while other teams can suck for 20 years straight. I used to love baseball as a kid, not anymore. There's a reason the NFL is kicking their butts. I long for the days when a team like the Royals could kick the snot out of the Yankees and Red Sox.

I live near Cleveland and the Indians have done nothing but supply big markets with talent for 15 years now. Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Bartolo Colon, Cliff Lee, etc... It's so hard to root for a team like that or even appriciate going to games. The east coast thinks the world revolves around them and could care less about how the rest of the country feels. I'd love to see it all go bankrupt and we start over with just the game of baseball, the game that kids USED to love.
  • Options

<< <i>

I totally disagree. Baseball should be an even playing field. This league has become dominated by big markets. Of course there are exceptions, but the same west coast and east coast teams seem to be in the hunt every year while other teams can suck for 20 years straight. I used to love baseball as a kid, not anymore. There's a reason the NFL is kicking their butts. I long for the days when a team like the Royals could kick the snot out of the Yankees and Red Sox.

I live near Cleveland and the Indians have done nothing but supply big markets with talent for 15 years now. Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Bartolo Colon, Cliff Lee, etc... It's so hard to root for a team like that or even appriciate going to games. The east coast thinks the world revolves around them and could care less about how the rest of the country feels. I'd love to see it all go bankrupt and we start over with just the game of baseball, the game that kids USED to love. >>

I know the painful feeling of my team's players getting stolen by other teams - the Phillies used to be that way to a degree.

Even though my Phils are now in the top tier of team salaries, I am still in favor of a salary cap for MLB. Some teams, mainly the Yankees, for many years have used other MLB teams as their own personal farm system, and that's really not the right way to run a sports league.
  • Options

<< <i>

I live near Cleveland and the Indians have done nothing but supply big markets with talent for 15 years now. Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Bartolo Colon, Cliff Lee, etc... It's so hard to root for a team like that or even appriciate going to games. The east coast thinks the world revolves around them and could care less about how the rest of the country feels. I'd love to see it all go bankrupt and we start over with just the game of baseball, the game that kids USED to love. >>

I hear ya! But unfortunately MLB doesnt give a rats azz if You or Children or ANYONE doesnt like it. Its all about the money and it will always be about the money.

Why do you think the last time I went to Fenway was 1995? I will not help pay these greedy scumbags. Im all set with 12 ounce cups of stale Keg Beer, 5 cent Hot Dogs for $8 and the total lunacy of the amount of money it costs for everything involved.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steve >>

How so Steve?
    Please explain >>

I had no idea about that.. >>

Actually, they just made the 's' really tall so it resembled an 'f'. The bottom still has the curve of a 's' doesn't it?

And with that, all my handwriting knowledge is out there.... >>

It was a style thing with writing. The 's' was elongated when they wrote. When they printed books and newspapers, instead of having the 's' elongated in the print, they used a character that resembled the letter 'f'.

If you look closely at it, it really isn't an 'f'. The difference is that the horizontal slash did not go all the way through vertical stem of the 'f'. It was only present on the left side of the vertical stem.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?