Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Trying something new. I think it works! (And a New Purchase)

I have not really talked about it too much because I am not very happy with the results I've been getting, but I am scanning my entire world coin collection. I'm still just starting out but I have been able to aquire several hundred coins, mainly by buying them in lots of a pound at a time. Or, this past Christmas I got more then one pound. And I'm a sucker for 10 for a dollar bins. Anyway, the results have not been very good. I had been closing the lid of my scanner and getting a white background, but I think the actual process may have made some of the coins move. I would scan a bunch at a time, and then crop them down. Like so...

Well, today I decided to leave the scanner lid open, just for kicks. It turned out looking great, and not only that, I no longer had to adjust the color to make the coins look like they really do in real life! After cropping them down, they still look great. I think I will do this for them all from now on.
There is ONE problem though. Dust on the scanner tray is very noticable! I will have to make sure it is very clean. But since this is just for my personal enjoyment/record keeping/documentation, I can deal with it. Or I could go into paint and digitally remove it, too! Probably won't though...

You can see the dust. Kind of a pain.

But they crop down good!

I like the way it looks!

I still have to work on making sure they are all facing upright. I don't have the skills, or the program to correct misaligned scans.

This coin I chose to highlight was the first square coin in my collection. I got it for Christmas. Two weeks ago, I got two more bringing my collection total to three.

I have a lot left to do. I stopped keeping up after CoinFest in October, where I got a lot of new additions, and I didn't do anything from Christmas, which nearly tripled the total number of coins in my collection. Since Christmas, I have only gotten about 15 new additions, though. I always start out with good intentions with a project, and then lose track halfway. Once I catch up (probably by the end of the week if I do 50+ at a time, the most time consuming here will be the cropping and labeling!) I intend to keep up with it.

Thanks for reading...
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks alot better with the lid up.

What is that coin with the thumbs up? That seems like it would make a good avi!

Cathy

• Options
    Gee, thanks for that Billy.

I just tried it on a Canada dime; about as small as a coin gets, and I really like
    the detail and the color.

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Very nice. I like the black background. Makes the coins stick out more. What kind of scanner are you using?
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Scanner is a Canon MP980. Nice to work with.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I was able to come up with something at least image

I am using an Epson Perfection 4490 that I got for my birthday in 2005.

Cathy, that is also from India, a 2008 Rupee image The batch I got for Christmas this past year had a lot of India in it, my collection went from 2 to 15 coins in one day!

imageimage

It seems they have a series with hand signs for the denomination. I also have a two Rupee waiting to be scanned image

Edited for spelling
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I've been leavin' the lid up for a few months now. image

(This does not refer to the common bathroom subject which is the cause of so much conflict between husbands and wives.) image

My photo editing software has an "invert selection" feature whereby you can select a circle around the coin, then invert selection and use "cut" to cut out all the black space around it. But I almost don't need to do that because with the lid up, it's almost a perfect black background as is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that doesn't look like the kind of coin you normally post, Rob! image

I have been working a little more on this...they actually DO look better when adjusting the color. I'll post some pictures later. It is the closest I've gotten to actual replication in scan form!